commuting in chicago with motorcycle..advice? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
jbanner91

commuting in chicago with motorcycle..advice?

Im new to Illinois. Is there any advantage (wrt traffic and navigation) to commuting with a motorcycle? I don't mean for gas, (obviously an advantage) but I mean would it be any faster?
Specifically, are you allowed to go in between cars when you have a motorcycle in Illinois or do you get ticket? I have to go from hyde park to des plaines at 4pm weekdays which as I understand it is the all time worst time for traffic right? But would a motorcycle help in any way or pointless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2015, 03:37 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I would suggest looking up motorcycle laws for Illinois and even Chicago, but it looks like lane splitting is a no-no.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2015, 08:02 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is your life insurance paid up? I drive in to the city daily and would not feel comfortable riding a cycle with all the idiots on the road texting.
Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #4 of 13 Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 AM
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Even if a cop sees you lane splitting, how is he going to catch you in traffic?...

I don't even own a jeep anymore
post #5 of 13 Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 AM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It's pretty much a national things now that bikes get to use the carpool lane. That would be a benefit in my book. I won't even consider splitting lanes in an area unfamiliar with it, people get pissed off and it just takes a second for a car to not look and cut over.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
post #6 of 13 Old 08-17-2015, 05:39 AM
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
It's pretty much a national things now that bikes get to use the carpool lane. That would be a benefit in my book. I won't even consider splitting lanes in an area unfamiliar with it, people get pissed off and it just takes a second for a car to not look and cut over.
People sometimes door check lane splitters to...people lane split in LA though and I think LA has a larger population.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

People sometimes door check lane splitters to...people lane split in LA though and I think LA has a larger population.
It's legal there though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
post #8 of 13 Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 AM
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanner91 View Post
Im new to Illinois. Is there any advantage (wrt traffic and navigation) to commuting with a motorcycle? I don't mean for gas, (obviously an advantage) but I mean would it be any faster?
Specifically, are you allowed to go in between cars when you have a motorcycle in Illinois or do you get ticket? I have to go from hyde park to des plaines at 4pm weekdays which as I understand it is the all time worst time for traffic right? But would a motorcycle help in any way or pointless?
To answer your question directly, splitting lanes in Illinois is illegal. So no, a motorcycle will not help you get anywhere faster than a car.

Here's my honest opinion. Have you taken a motorcycle safety class? If not, do the beginner, intermediate and advanced. YOU WILL NEED THE SKILLS!! The drivers here are crazy, seriously. They are the dumbest bunch of ****tards I have ever seen. They are very, very aggressive. They will pull out in front of you without so much as a second thought.

If you have ridden before, you will need to bring your A game everyday. You will have to ride VERY defensively and always be searching and scanning for the next idiot that wants to kill you.

If you get a bike here, wear a helmet. There is no helmet law, but nobody looks cool drooling in a hospital bed. Don't ride dumb, be smart, and be cautious.

Oh, and also, the road conditions here are terrible. Pot holes, uneven roads, and the construction creates lots of gravel.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Is your life insurance paid up? I drive in to the city daily and would not feel comfortable riding a cycle with all the idiots on the road texting.
Ron
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard
Vin's so hard core, he drinks the whole jug of STFU and then has a three hour conversation about it.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 AM
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post

To answer your question directly, splitting lanes in Illinois is illegal. So no, a motorcycle will not help you get anywhere faster than a car.

Here's my honest opinion. Have you taken a motorcycle safety class? If not, do the beginner, intermediate and advanced. YOU WILL NEED THE SKILLS!! The drivers here are crazy, seriously. They are the dumbest bunch of ****tards I have ever seen. They are very, very aggressive. They will pull out in front of you without so much as a second thought.

If you have ridden before, you will need to bring your A game everyday. You will have to ride VERY defensively and always be searching and scanning for the next idiot that wants to kill you.

If you get a bike here, wear a helmet. There is no helmet law, but nobody looks cool drooling in a hospital bed. Don't ride dumb, be smart, and be cautious.

Oh, and also, the road conditions here are terrible. Pot holes, uneven roads, and the construction creates lots of gravel.

Good luck!

This.
I'd also recommend a motorcycle jacket and pants incase you lay your bike down
post #10 of 13 Old 08-17-2015, 03:41 PM
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Be aware of your location and be prepared to take off if someone comes off the curb at a stoplight
post #11 of 13 Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 AM
HubDeepDriver

My advice? When the weather turns cold buy a car.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-18-2015, 12:13 PM
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I work mostly in the outer Chicagoland burbs, so I'm not sure--isn't there a way to make the Metra system do most of the work of commuting from Chicago to Des Plaines?

Sent from my phone.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #13 of 13 Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
jbanner91

I did a test run (by car) yesterday. I went went from Hyde Park to Des plaines at 4:30pm and I arrived at my destination at 5:40pm. I was really surprised cuz I thought with the rush hour it would take about 2 hours. Is this normal commute time or is this just a lucky commute? It definitely slowed down in some places but the traffic was always moving. Is this normal for Chicago?
bus/trains take about 2 hrs 15mins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.