Come alongs! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Come alongs!

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!1987-2016 Wrangler Jammock Black 2.0 Jeep Hammock (YJ, TJ Rancho rockGEAR promotion gear from January 1-February 29,

Unread 12-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
dustinw92

Come alongs!

Okay yes. I know there are plenty of threads on this but I would rather ask my own questions then resurrect an old thread. Was wondering if anyone knows of a 3 or 4 ton come along that has a 15' or longer cable. I'm looking for something that will take the place of a winch but not break the bank. IE. Don't direct me to the $500 lug all please. Or if someone has a better suggestion let me know. Thanks ... BTW you forum nazis don't tell me something like. "Warn makes a 4 ton winch"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dustinw92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I would stay far away from a cheap 4 ton cable come along. If it were down to a come along big enough to do a recovery I would go with a chain winch.

http://www.mfrexpress.com/me-3-ton-l...ift-p-192.html
Unread 12-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
dustinw92

I partially agree with you. But I was hoping to stay around 150 or under. Know any cheaper reliable products

Unread 12-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For the price of that Chain Come-Along, I'd go to Harbor Freight and buy one fo their Badland winches. There's a couple guys in my local Jeep club who've had them for years and not had any major issues with them.

Dustin, you can use a HiLift jack as a come-along as well. Even buying the winching kit and the jack together would put you in the price range you're looking at and it would also give you a tool with multiple uses.

I believe this is the correct video that shows recovery as a come-along. I'm at work so I can't see the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7VJD_svqd4
Unread 12-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
dustinw92

Yeah I've been looking at them. But this recently caught my eye, looks a lot like the more power puller but I think it's just copying the design not enough info to tell
http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMERICAN-P...565?nav=SEARCH

Unread 12-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Today and tomorrow, you can get the Badlands 9k winch for $225... not much more than that come-along.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ake-62278.html

Harbor Freight also has an 8k come-along for $30.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ler-69855.html

My only concerns with using a come-along are:
1. You have to manipulate the lever very close to the tensioned chain/cable/strap and you're in serious danger of injury if it snaps. One reason I think that the HiLift has an advantage.. it's heavier and will pull the cable down more if it snaps and the actuating lever is longer so you're not as close to a breaking cable/chain/strap.
2. If you're vehicle is really mired down in the mud or your trying to pull uphill or over an obstacle, you are going to be straining your body to move that winch line.

It's all in personal preference I suppose... to me a HiLift (which I have) or a winch (wished I had) are a bit safer and easier to use when recovering a vehicle. They're also easier to store, outside of the Jeep, where space is already at a premium.
Unread 12-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
dustinw92

Wow that's a really good deal on that winch. I'll have to look into that. I'm getting a basket so a high jack or a come a long will probably be stored up there in some type if thick plastic cover so space isn't much of an issue. But that winch is a reallllly good deal lol.

Unread 12-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #8
dustinw92

Everywhere I look it still says it's 300 though

Unread 12-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinw92 View Post
Everywhere I look it still says it's 300 though

The main Harbor Freight page has a 25% off coupon good through the 13th.
capture02.jpg  
Unread 12-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the checkout page with coupon added....
capture03.jpg  
Unread 12-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
dustinw92

Awesome. I wonder if that is just a one time sale. I was gonna wait and buy some things after Christmas

Unread 12-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They regularly have a 20% off coupon all of the time so it would still be a good deal just not AS good! Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.