Colorado Vacation Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Colorado Vacation Suggestions

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Tneagle
2011 JK Wrangler 

Colorado Vacation Suggestions

Hi all, My first post here & my first Jeep ever. Recently purchased a 2011 Sahara Wrangler. Wife and I are switching from being motorcyclist to Jeepsters. We live in Bristol, TN and are planning a vacation this summer to Colorado. We want to do some off roading (beginner's stuff) and hiking around. We will have a week to spend in Colorado. We will probably tent/cabin/or posible rent a popup while there. Here's the big questions: First, what month is best for being able to have the top down and enjoy the sites with good weather? Next is there a favorite place to go where we can see and enjoy the most in a week or maybe a couple of areas we must go. We realize that 7 days isn't going to cover much so where would you outdoor lovers go if you only had a week to spend? Any campground preferences would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
bobjp

You could go to the San Juan mountain area: Telluride, Ouray, Silverton. There's plenty of offroading that any Jeep can handle. Also plenty of hiking/biking to do.

I went out there in July last summer. Temperatures were comfortable because of the high elevation.

I left on a Friday after work from Michigan, and returned 10 days later on a Monday having stayed with some family for one day on the way back. I arrived in Ouray on Sunday night, and left the area on Friday night. I would have liked to stay longer, but that's all my vacation time would allow. It was still worth it.

It was 23 hours of driving one way for me, and would be 25 hours for you. It's a long drive, but you have your wife to help with driving (I did it by myself). Still worth it.

I camped the entire time, never staying in the same spot twice. You could maintain the same camp site for your duration, but that could result in you doing a lot of back tracking to your campsite at the end of the day. It depends on how much of the area you want to see.
Unread 03-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

X2 on the San Juans.
Most of Colorado west of I25 is scenic, but that area is in a class by itself. Lots of mining, railroad, & native American history too, if you're into that.
Most of the trails in the area are doable in a stock Jeep. Just keep a cool head on the shelf roads!!
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

If you get a chance, come visit us in the Gunnison-Crested Butte area. Paradise Basin up above Crested Butte is one of the most scenic spots in the region. It is a little challenging but not too bad at all. (if you are a Jeep newbie, stay off of Schofield Pass down into Marble) A trip to Lake Irwin out of Crested Butte is a nice half day trip and very tame. Day trips to Lake City and over Slumgullion Pass are awfully nice too. Thankfully, we have had a lot of snow this year. We need it for the Spring runoff and the reduced fire danger risk. Most high mountain passes in our area may not open until after the 4th of July, so plan accordingly. In my opinion, August seems to be the best month for Jeeping in Colorado. The snow is usually gone from the trails and most families with kids have gone home to start the new school year so the trails aren't nearly as crowded.

Crusty
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Tneagle
2011 JK Wrangler 

This is great info guys. Especially August being the best time to go. Keep it coming!
Tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Indy

Garden of the gods is supposed to be nice.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Garden of the gods is supposed to be nice.
It's a must see. We spent a few hours there in 2012, we saw a bear. I've been there many times, but had never seen a bear there. The fires in Waldo Canyon (I think it was) chased a lot of animals down into the park.

Stopping to see Royal Gorge, on the way to Ouray, is good too...all though all the buildings were burnt down last year.

I can't wait to wheel some trails in the Ouray area....it's absolutely beautiful out there.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just rent a nice hotel in Denver and get baked all weekend. Sounds like a vacation to me.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
fundabug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustySprings View Post
If you get a chance, come visit us in the Gunnison-Crested Butte area. Paradise Basin up above Crested Butte is one of the most scenic spots in the region. It is a little challenging but not too bad at all. (if you are a Jeep newbie, stay off of Schofield Pass down into Marble) A trip to Lake Irwin out of Crested Butte is a nice half day trip and very tame. Day trips to Lake City and over Slumgullion Pass are awfully nice too. Thankfully, we have had a lot of snow this year. We need it for the Spring runoff and the reduced fire danger risk. Most high mountain passes in our area may not open until after the 4th of July, so plan accordingly. In my opinion, August seems to be the best month for Jeeping in Colorado. The snow is usually gone from the trails and most families with kids have gone home to start the new school year so the trails aren't nearly as crowded.

Crusty

My wife and just drove to Colorado in the Jeep one summer. No plan, just for the hell of it. Drove from Kentucky to Colorado on all back roads with the top down, doors off. Found some dirt road up through the mountains. It kept crossing back and forth over some little railroad that took tourist up in the mountains. Not sure exactly the name of the area, but we ended up down in Gunnison after a couple of days camping up in the mountains. We got into town on the 4th of July found a little motel right next to a park in downtown Gunnison. Unbeknownst to us the town has quite a lively free fireworks show right there in the park. They closed the streets off at dusk, my wife and I walked over, pigged out on carnival food and watched a firework display I'll never forget. Sitting in the grass in a little town in the mountains with the locals, watching fireworks with the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop. We might as well been citizens of Gunnison that night, we were treated like neighbors. Everybody was very friendly. It was all just dumb luck that we ended up there on the 4th of July. We talked about going back one day, but are afraid that planning it would take away from the whole experience that made that such a memorable road trip. That was almost 10 years ago, don't know if it's still the same little town now.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

Gunnison still has a very nice fireworks show on the 4th of July every year. We drive up towards the college and sit on folding chairs to watch the show. It can get warm in the summer in Gunnison (70's-low 80's) but it cools off at night. We wear light jackets to watch the fireworks on the fourth. Not too far away up in the mountains, it can be in the 40's for overnight low temps in the summer.
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Just rent a nice hotel in Denver and get baked all weekend. Sounds like a vacation to me.
Seriously? Maybe he can get a few hookers from E. Colfax too.
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
pipelayer_99

San Juans around Telluride/Ouray are awesome and my favorite place in CO so far. Go in late June, July, August and make sure to drive Hwy 550 and go to Silverton.
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...-Colorado.html
pipelayer_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.