Colorado mountain driving rule - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Colorado mountain driving rule

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
RockyMnt1

It is a good time to repost this driving reminder, since the snow is beginning to melt somewhat (although it here snowed last night).

One other item:

Rumor has it that Colorado is going to start enforcing the OHV law that has been on the books since the 1990s. This is for any OHV activity (and includes Jeeps) that occurs on state land. Given the mosaic of land types in Colorado, you never really know whose land you are on. The cost of the pass (for residents) is $25.25. The money goes to trail maintenance. You can pick up a pass at any Colorado State Park office. The pass is good for 1 year (April 1-March 31). There is no prorating if you buy after April 1.

As a reminder to the motorcyclists that speed around blind curves, if there is a tie, my Jeep is going to win against your motorcycle and more importantly you, so take it easy on those curvy dirt trails.

RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
RockyMnt1

Since the passes are starting to open up this year....
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
Since most of the mountain passes are finally opening up up here and the fact that this is the second weekend in a row that I have encountered this situation, I thought that I would post for the benefit of those that might be heading up to do some mountain wheeling.

UPHILL VEHICLES HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY in Colorado. If I am travelling up hill, the down hill vehicle needs to figure out a plan to get out of my way. You can:

1) find a pull out wide enough for both vehicles to safely pass
2) back up (even uphill)

As you travel a trail, note possible passing places or the distance to back up to one.

Now, having mentioned the right of way rule, some common sense needs to be applied. I was going uphill on a shelf road (with a 1000 ft drop off on one side) and met a group of 14 jeeps coming down hill. There certainly wasn't enough pullouts for all of that traffic. I backed down .1 miles to allow them to pass. No problem. If I am going uphill near a pullout and spot a downhill vehicle, I have no problem pulling over and allowing them to pass. If you pull over going downhill, and I don't think that it is safe to pass, I will be asking you to revise your plan and/or think of something else. If I am going uphill and stop to allow you to pass and you damage my vehicle trying to pass, your insurnace company will be getting a claim from me.

If you are going down hill, be aware of approaching uphill vehicles and start formulating a plan early. Don't wait until we meet face to face on a shelf road, unless you like backing up. This happened to me yesterday. I had a downhill guy tell me that he couldn't or shouldn't have to back up going up hill. WTF?

I pull over and/or stop for 4 wheelers/motorcycles. They generally go faster than I can, but the vehicle being overtaken has the right of way, so don't touch my vehicle if you pass me.

I stop for hikers/horses. Vehicles can sometimes spook horses.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's all have fun out there.
I wish more people would read this, a few times this weekend, one jeep or truck wanted 7-12 to back up because they where going up hill. 3 times and all three they where at pull outs.
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The reason the vehicle driving uphill has the right of way is it is safer to back up hill than to back down hill. Backing downhill should only be done in a straight line any time you turn you are risking loss of control. You also lose steering input when braking downhill due to the weight transfer off of the front tires.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
bobjp

In my experience everyone seems to just work it out.

Whoever has the easiest access to a pull out or wide section should just move over. I have no problem pulling over and waving someone through if I'm 10' from the pullout and they're 200 yards away, regardless of who's going uphill or downhill. I'm not going to make them back up just because I'm going uphill and vice versa. Everyone I meet does the same.

I guess I've just never had a problem. Every situation has been "workable" if you have rational foresight.
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
In my experience everyone seems to just work it out.

Whoever has the easiest access to a pull out or wide section should just move over. I have no problem pulling over and waving someone through if I'm 10' from the pullout and they're 200 yards away, regardless of who's going uphill or downhill. I'm not going to make them back up just because I'm going uphill and vice versa. Everyone I meet does the same.

I guess I've just never had a problem. Every situation has been "workable" if you have rational foresight.
I have only done the trails in SW Colorado about 12 times, never had the problem until this weekend with a couple of "tour guides" out of Telluride, everyone else work together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.