CLUTCH PROBLEM! HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > CLUTCH PROBLEM! HELP!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-03-2002, 09:56 AM   #1
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

CLUTCH PROBLEM! HELP!!!

Ok, I got in my car last night, and noticed I had almost no give left in my clutch pedal, I lift the hood, and check the fluid, it was low. I filled it, and today it has lost some again. I looked at everything and it appears that the line running down from the master cylinder right before it goes underneath toward the tranny, there is a connection there changing from one line to a fatter ribbed line, and there is seepage there, my guess is that the line there is bad or connection, any other thoughts? please!!

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 10:40 AM   #2
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I just looked it all over, I can't find a leak anywhere, but I'm losing fluid, whats up with that?

I followed the hose all the way down the the tranny, it has a small component that I can slide in and out of the bell housing to the tranny easily, what do I do?

Unread 03-03-2002, 08:40 PM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Sounds like the slave cylinder is losing fluid. The slave is what moves the throw-out bearing in and out. If you have access to it, it's an easy fix. Just swap in a new one and bleed it out. If it's in the bellhousing and you can't get to it, then it's a real pain because you have to pull the tranny to get to it.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:54 PM   #4
treedodger

What year is your jeep? Can you see the slave cyl outside the bellhousing or not? It's a little hydraulic piston on the end of the hose, it should have rubber boot on it to keep it shiny clean. Taping some newspapers down to your driveway and inspecting them in the morning for wet spots might help zero in on the location of the leaks. If the clutch master cly goes dry, you might need to bleed the system after filling the reservoir. Pray that you can find a slave cyl located outside the bellhousing.
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:01 PM   #5
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Its a 92' 2.5 YJ.........There is something that looks like a piston before it goes into the bellhousing, I can slide it in and out, I have no idea really.

Unread 03-04-2002, 07:35 PM   #6
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

That would be the slave. When you push in the clutch the piston should push out, releasing the throw-out bearing.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 07:51 PM   #7
JeeperJay

My '92 has a internal slave =( If you have one there will be a line going into the drivers side of the bell housing that has a rather large fitting that could look like a slave cylinder at a quick glance. To know for sure go the the passenger side of the tranny and look on the bell housing for another line coming out that has a bleeder screw at the end of it. If thats the case then you have the dredded internal slave cylinder. My guess is if you've got a '92 with a 4-banger and a AX-5 tranny, you've got the interal slave. Sorry for the bad news
Unread 03-04-2002, 08:47 PM   #8
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I took it to the garage today. This is gonna suck. Labor on pulling the bell housing? thats gonna cost.

Unread 03-04-2002, 09:00 PM   #9
JeeperJay

Ugg..yea that does suck. If your clutch has some miles on it you might as well have that done too while they're in there. I just replaced my tranny about a month ago and I should have replaced the slave while I was in there, I think its starting to act up. Its just a good idea to replace everything you can the first time, to save you from ripping it all apart again. Or paying somebody else to do it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.