Clean out smoke... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Clean out smoke...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Clean out smoke...

This was NOT a drill... 6:30 last night my alarm sounded and paged me for smoke, temperature and CO. I verified with 911 that trucks were already dispatched - the shop I share space with in same building was on fire.

(a customer following the owner around as he washed and locked, placed a partially extinguished cigarette into the trash - the main fire was less than two feet from the fuel tank of that car in the corner bay)

Fire was put out quickly, my halon setup did not go off - but my space was completely filled with smoke (pic was taken about 20 minutes after opening to ventilate) and now my JK, 57 and GTO (and all of the camp, vacation and household goods I have stored) totally stink. Anyone know how to kill the smoke smell in my fabrics, interiors and soft-top? Dont mind the Jeep smelling camp fire-ish - but it WILL get old fast... (it killed all the bugs and spiders though!!!)

wp_20141208_007-1-.jpg   wp_20141208_008-1-.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

That's terrible. No suggestions of getting rid of smokey smell but nice 04 Goat btw.

On second thought, I would think to maybe go to your local hotel establishment and ask what product they use to rid the smoke from hotel rooms.

Insurance maybe too?
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Indy

A few cans of the carpet shampoo they sell in the auto aisle on all soft surfaces, followed by an actual carpet shampoo'er, a couple bottle of febreeze on all surfaces and then the windows down with a anti smoke air freshener also in the auto aisle.

That's what it took for my truck, previous owner was one hell of a smoker and apparently did it all with the windows up. I got black lung just walking by the truck the first time. After the above it smelled nice and clean. Shoot febreeze down the vents as well.
Unread 12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Um. Someones insurance should be paying to restore your property.
vindicated is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
Um. Someones insurance should be paying to restore your property.
^x2

You should be calling the gentleman's insurance from the space that had the fire, They should be paying for repairs.

Call around and get some quotes from a few different flood/fire restoration companies. Or call your insurance and have them deal with the other insurance for you.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Agreed. Smoke damage should be treated the same as fire damage. You shouldn't have to spend any amount of time or money cleaning/replacing your property because someone else set the building on fire.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Insurance should pay for it, but disaster cleanup companies use an Ozone generator. Works absolute wonders, it's really amazing.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Smoke damage is pretty serious!
The smell can be dealt with but the particulates being mostly conductive carbon are not really good for anything electronic. Vehicles should be alright because they are mostly sealed but any radios and test equipment should be considered suspect and the other guy's insurance should be replacing them for you.
vadslram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Great stuff guys - thanks. I've never done smoke out work - have plenty of new and custom work experience - and yes it's all insured. Thanks!

(The Goat is 1 of 277 bearing that RPO - being the rarest of the 04 - and has 23,000 original miles - Thanks for the compliment - I'll share that with the wife who owns it! She's worked hard keeping it showroom...)

I do my own work - not that i don't trust the best workers minimum wage can buy - but I am kinda (extremely fanatically) finicky about the stuff I invest my time and money into! yes I'll bill insurance for it. Doing my own work I'll probably even come out ahead.
I have been a smoker for 40 years (not proud of it) BUT I have never smoked in my house or cars. I like new and clean smell.

Its not too bad day after - the 57 smells worse than the Goat (barely noticeable) and I have new upholstery in 57's budget anyway... the insurance will be helpful. I'll definitely have to remove and clean the carpets and clean upholstery in the JK though... it was all 4 doors opened up (am mid project flat decking and adding refer and water heater) so smells like the inside of the fire house gear locker...

His end was worse - no fire damage - contained to wall and construction - a customers irreplaceable 79 280Z with 13,000 miles on it 2 feet from the fire didn't even get wax melt! - but 17 cars total in bay and smoked out (is it a "bonus" that two of em were local marked police cars??? ***snicker***)

just to express how lucky we were - the previous tenant had patched a leaky copper water line with four feet of heater hose. The fire was directly below it and melted the hose - sending water into the fire which kept it from growing fast - when the FD rolled in it was already smoking white like they were dumping water! I'm now considering sprinklers even though I am below requirements in Code...
Unread 12-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
ISUzj
2005 WK 

this may be crazy, but i have had some success with citrus peels in a Dakota that was a smoker truck.. took time, but it seem to help a lot.
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #11
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys - I used a citrus based upholstery cleaner, ozium and lots of fans to dry it (after the cleaner) all as fast as possible. Then a leather cleaner and the Goat smells new still, 57 smells old but not smoky and the JK smells like its been camping (some things are best left alone).

INS paid for three full interior details and a "smoke eater" for the shop. I pocketed the diff and will put it towards new seats for the JK.
Unread Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #12
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #13
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
(it killed all the bugs and spiders though!!!)

That's one heck off a extreme way to get ride of a few bugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.