CL People #$%@&* Me Off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > CL People #$%@&* Me Off

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
stich
1949 CJ3A 

CL People #$%@&* Me Off

I've been looking for a roll cage to fit my Willys for about 6 months now on CL. I've found a few but most of the ads I've replied to (no phone # just email), I never get a reply back. Why would people go to the trouble of putting an ad up if they aren't going to reply to it? I understand that they may have sold it, but why not at least email me back and let me know. I hate not knowing.
Rant over.

stich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Some people don't realize that they 'should' take the ad down when they sell an item. Irritating, yes, but nothing to get upset about. Keep looking.
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Indy

Craigslist is usually irritating, but you deal with it knowing that. When you're selling, set appts for times/places you already intend to be because you'll get stood up 9 times out of 10. When the 1 does show he'll want to negotiate 1/2 price to what he agreed to before coming. On the buying side things are often in worse shape than advertised, the 'clean' title hasn't actually been issued for the last 9 owners running but it's 'easy to get' and of course non-replies/already sold. The last is barely irritating at all to me. It's like fishing, you don't always catch one.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
bobjp

Recently I sent an email response to a Craigslist ad for a bike stating I would take it and got no response. I just figured it was sold because the ad was a few weeks old. A couple days after I emailed they reposted the ad. WTF? Sooooo....you don't really want to sell it?

Craigslist brings out the stupid in people. It's the Wal Mart of the internet.
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Still can't get a guy selling VW hub caps to email me back, he still keeps refreshing the ad. Maybe he's just bored or gets his rocks off wasting people's time.

Also, speaking of wasting people's time, I'm currently selling my VW on CL and just had hours sucked from my life. Too long of a story for here but a lesson to be learned: NEVER ever hold a vehicle for someone until they can come see it, no matter how interested they act on the phone/email.
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a bunch of stuff listed and all I ever get is flakes and lowballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and another thing, a lot of replys hit spam. I just checked mine and I missed 2 people that were passing through a couple of days ago and wanted to buy my hitch. Sucks for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had a deal recently with a guy to buy something from me, and even exchanged a number of emails. I even asked him if he changes his mind, please at least email me back. Well when he's suppose to show up, he doesn't. I email him again and he replies, "Couldn't show up." Oh really?! Thanks for the notice.

CL is an adventure that is for sure.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
bobjp

The number of tire kickers and dreamers on Craigslist is annoying. The more of a niche item you're selling (like Jeep parts) the worse it is. When selling full Jeep doors, I got a lot of pointless inquiries. My favorite was when someone offered $500, I said yes, and never heard from them again. **** off. Stop wasting my time.

On those same set of doors, I offered to meet someone in the town I work which is where he lives (I have a long commute). We agreed to meet on a Monday at lunch, but I couldn't get ahold of the guy. Agreed on Wednesday, and again didn't hear from him. Each time I had to take the dumb things in an out of my car. Then Friday he texts me asking if we can meet. I told him that I didn't bring them because he didn't tell me he wanted to meet that day. I left it open for him to offer another day to meet, but never heard from him. ****ing tire kickers. I'm not a car salesman and not hard up for a sale. I'm not going to bend over backwards for your dumb ***.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91YJ4X4 View Post
Still can't get a guy selling VW hub caps to email me back, he still keeps refreshing the ad. Maybe he's just bored or gets his rocks off wasting people's time.

What kind? I've got a set of 14" ones from a 90 Jetta I've been trying to get rid of for years?
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman

What kind? I've got a set of 14" ones from a 90 Jetta I've been trying to get rid of for years?
Thanks...but I had to go to the dealer and cough up $60 for a hubcap to make my car whole for the sale. $60!!!!! Insane.
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I buy & sell a lot of motorcycles on CL & the biggest annoyance by far are tags. If I'm searching for something specific like a Yamaha PW50 & you've got your Goldwing tagged with every freaking make & model, You're an idiot & it's wasting my time having to weed through all those. Most of the time, the tagged keywords have nothing to do with what's selling..
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

9 out of 10 people I meet on craigslist are hard working honest people. There are always those few who are just idiots. I've had a guy not show up then call me the next day saying he decided to go to his GFs house instead and forgot to call. He wanted to meet up the next day, but I said no. I waited for him for 30 minutes and he never showed, I wasn't going to waste my gas again.

There are also those people who never seem to read the ad. They show up and start getting all mad about how you didn't say such and such about the item, when I clearly stated everything in the ad and posted pictures.

The low ballers also drive me nuts. If someone has something listed for $125, its one thing to ask if they would take $100, but another to offer $50. People are just cheap and want everything given to them. Don't offer to buy stuff you know you can't afford.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson View Post
I buy & sell a lot of motorcycles on CL & the biggest annoyance by far are tags. If I'm searching for something specific like a Yamaha PW50 & you've got your Goldwing tagged with every freaking make & model, You're an idiot & it's wasting my time having to weed through all those. Most of the time, the tagged keywords have nothing to do with what's selling..
Ah yes, the tags. I hate them as well. I saw a guy trying to sell a quad, but then underneath the ad it said

keywords: cummins, dodge, ford, jeep, tractor, quad, honda, dirtbike, ATC, harley, 4 stroke, briggs, kohler, chevy, duramax, honda, acura, snow white, elvis, mustard, ketchup, pickles, you get the point.

I want to just e-mail these people and say "Hi, I would've bought your item, but since it comes up in every damn thing I search for on craigslist, I figured you were just an ******* and decided not to".

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
bobjp

Haha, I will 3rd the tags/keywords. I routinely search for Jeep parts on the Detroit Craigslist and some ******* dealing used tires has every make and model of every ****ing vehicle ever made as a keyword. Of the 100 postings per page, at least 75 are from this dick. It essentially renders the Detroit Craigslist parts section useless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.