Civic duty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Civic duty?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Civic duty?

So, as many of you know, those of us in Kentucky finally got a little snow. That being said today I went out and did what any self-respecting, Jeep-owning, college student does, I went out and played in the snow . It was all fun and games until like 20 minutes ago when an off-duty LMPD officer decided that it was part of his civic duty to keep me from sliding around in the parking lot of the football stadium . Now I understand that technically I was probably in the wrong so I did leave when he asked and I was polite and all that, but really? I mean come on, totally empty parking lot of a FOOTBALL STADIUM, practically like a square half mile of open snowy space with NOTHING in it. There is virtually no way I could have hurt anything. I don't understand why he had to ruin my fun, I'm sure he did the same thing when he was 19. Oh well, just venting I guess. I'll find a new parking lot in the morning .

Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

I agree with you some people are just fun police. Look at all the stuff our parents generation got away with. I am not saying that makes it okay. If i were the officer the most i would have done is say i better not see any of that on the street. I dunno that a cop can enforce a private parking lot like that. Well was it a stadium maintained by the city. Cops tends to think they have more power then they do.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If he wants to tell you to leave he can. Deal with it.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
If he wants to tell you to leave he can. Deal with it.
I mean, I left, I'm over it. It isn't that big a deal I was just annoyed because I was just messing around having a good time and he told me to go home. I'm just bored now so I decided to share my story with jeepforum.
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's all about liability.
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy90 View Post
I mean, I left, I'm over it. It isn't that big a deal I was just annoyed because I was just messing around having a good time and he told me to go home. I'm just bored now so I decided to share my story with jeepforum.
I know where you're coming from, the same thing has happened to me before too and I questioned it as well. I did exactly what you said though, I left with plans on just finding another parking lot.

Nothing you can really do. Now we just sit and wait for the cop haters to come into this thread.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
While this may be true, it still seems like it would be pretty hard to hurt anything in a massive empty parking lot. Even if by some act of God I managed to roll the Jeep (pretty unlikely) I'm thinking my own *******ness would be to blame not anyone else lol. Like I said before it's not like I'm sitting here fuming mad or anything, just mildly annoyed, there are plenty of big empty parking lots around.
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
I know where you're coming from, the same thing has happened to me before too and I questioned it as well. I did exactly what you said though, I left with plans on just finding another parking lot.

Nothing you can really do. Now we just sit and wait for the cop haters to come into this thread.
Honestly if it was a uniformed officer I would be even less annoyed, but he was out of uniform, off-duty and in his personal vehicle- he made a conscious decision that the kid doing doughnuts in the big empty parking lot was more important than whatever he was doing at the time. Still, I'm really not one to let this kind of stuff really get under my skin, I'll just go somewhere else.

And FWIW, I am in no way a cop hater since there's a good chance I'll be in law enforcement in one capacity or other one day.
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy90 View Post
And FWIW, I am in no way a cop hater since there's a good chance I'll be in law enforcement in one capacity or other one day.
Wasn't directing that at you, I'm doing the same thing relatively soon. I just know someones gonna come in here and start the cop bashing, abuse of power, blah blah blah.

I had a friend get pulled over for doing a burnout, cop told him he used to do it back when he was in high school too so he wasn't going to ticket it him for it but he still shouldn't be doing it. Someones gotta be the fun police, you may see no liability and I probably wouldn't either but its still a "liability" in his eyes. If something were to happen, it could even be considered neglect of duty for not intervening....always a different way to look at it I guess.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Damn, our local cops joined us at our High School when I was a student there. Showed us the cool things he could make a Crown Vic do...as well as teaching us some techniques.

Next time tell them you are practicing your Winter Driving Skills.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Its very possible that your local laws have an ordinance like this one in them. A parking lot is still considered to be part of the "highway"

115(2)(e)
Perform / engage in stunt / activity likely to distract /
startle / interfere with other users of highway
115(2)(f)
Drive while perform / engage in stunt / activity likely to
distract / startle / interfere with other users of highway
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Yup to many people these days blame others for their screw ups, NOT saying your this type of person but it happens. You gotta be careful these days if your the owner of the property ect so forth, and the cop did the right thing sorry he ruined your fun though I LOVE tearing around my wide open field when its snowy out

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

x3 on liability. I'm sure you could hit a dry patch and flip it. Growing up in Ohio I loved playing in parking lots. Its amazing how you can lose track of where those garbage cans and light poles are..

[yt]ocbcZlOV4uA[/yt]
Unread 01-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

and when you flip your car, have someone call 911... have EMS, Fire/rescue, and PD show up. (when a real emergency might be happening) only to have to pry you out of your vehicle, check you out medically and maybe transport you, write a report and organize a tow vehicle to get your car out of there.

Do it on private property that you own, I have no problem in him asking you to leave, infact I think he should have done more. There is no excuse "back in the day" A vehicle is a weapon when used incorrectly. I'm all for having fun, just not at others expenses and with the potential to waste public resources.
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
and when you flip your car, have someone call 911... have EMS, Fire/rescue, and PD show up. (when a real emergency might be happening) only to have to pry you out of your vehicle, check you out medically and maybe transport you, write a report and organize a tow vehicle to get your car out of there.

Do it on private property that you own, I have no problem in him asking you to leave, infact I think he should have done more. There is no excuse "back in the day" A vehicle is a weapon when used incorrectly. I'm all for having fun, just not at others expenses and with the potential to waste public resources.
This guy has it.

When you grow up you'll understand too.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.