Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chrome? Good or bad?

• No. I don't like chrome on a YJ.

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • If it has the factory chrome grill and bumper, that's cool.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Chrome rocks! As much as I can get!

Votes: 8 23.5%

Chrome? Good or bad?

608 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  BSoDAlptraum 
#1 ·
Do you like chrome on a YJ?

#2 ·
I like it, but not for wheels... too many of my chrome wheels have rusted on me and then then don't look so hot (I'm not very good at keeping them polished/clean, I guess)

I want to get the aluminum wheels, but they are pretty spendy.

I still currently have black steel wheels, they look mean! :cool: ... and if they ever rust, it won't stand out as much as if it was chrome.

#4 ·
Too much chrome can be a bad thing. I think the stainless cover on the front of the jeep frame looks good. That is all I have. Then I also have Aluminum rims. I think Stainless and Aluminum look a little better and if kept too a minimum. Remember that all this stuff on a Jeep is bound to get scratched and or rusted. Sometimes Chrome rims look good, I suppose you could throw your street tires on Chrome, and keep the Mud tires on Black steelies, although I think that the Black Daytona style rims rock. They would probably look good painted Red, Blue or whatever.

#5 ·
I'm a fan of chrome, but not "as much as I can get"...that's a bit out of hand...I have a bit of chrome, a bit of stainless, and a bit of aluminum here and there on my jeep, but I don't think anyone who wasn't an idiot would think it was too 'bling'. The best thing about modern stainless stuff is that they can get it to shine about as good as chrome...I have a kentrol stainless TJ brush bar on my YJ and chrome sidebars, and they go together like peas and carrots. :D

#7 ·
Not a YJ but here's a quick question for you:

Which look do you prefer?

(a):

or (b):

The reason I ask which one YOU prefer is because at the end of the day it's going on YOUR Jeep. If you prefer chrome - get chrome. If you prefer thick steel and powdercoating and knowing it's built like a rock, find something else.

Personally though, Picture B is the more current photo and I MUCH prefer it :)

#8 ·
Between those two? Gotta go with B. That looks like a wicked set-up. I think those double tube chrome front bumpers with the riser look a little dorky without at least a winch behind them to balance them out. What's next, 5 inch tubing?? :rolleyes: Looks like the jeep has a fat lip. The shackles and what-not hanging off the black one looks tough, for sure, plus it's just a way cooler design and probably offers more protection.

I could show you some pretty dumb black bumpers too though...

#9 ·
honestly, I don't like most jeeps without a chrome grill and chrome hood vents and windshield tiedowns, but that is my preference, and it depends on the color. As far as wheels, I love chrome, but it is a pain to take care of so that is up to you, if you keep them nice they are great, if not they suck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.