Choosing a rig for under 6k.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Choosing a rig for under 6k..

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 03-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
xxturbowesxx

Choosing a rig for under 6k..

My WJ is totaled(some as$ ran a red light). Its time to play what to replace it with.

Background
This is my 2nd WJ and I like them alot. My last one had a battle with rust(rust was winning) so maybe the crash was a good thing. Another one would make me happy but I want to try something else.

I am probably moving to colorado this summer and interested in the overland experience morso than just finding rocks to break stuff on. My wife and I typically drive our newer 3 series daily and in most scenarios on the weekend with my WJ being used every couple days or so. This 3 series will be for me soon and she will get something else with the SUV being the 3rd vehicle.

I'm pretty sure of which vehicle I am going to choose but will withhold that for the sake of a potentially interesting thread.

In no particular order

Higher mileage TJ with a 4.0
Has the most potential off road/aftermarket support
Bulletproof engine
going doorless and topless is a cool option

Poorly insulated(colorado remember)
I want an auto and they seem rarer
Storage space.. the idea here is to have something to use for home depot as well as wheeling
Not very good at towing anything(atvs/snowbike in the future)
No traction aids stock(need to add lsd or lockers)
Overall comfort

Another WJ 4.7 limited
Has alot of power
Can tow
Comfortable
Nice on the street
Quadradrive is very useful but rare around here
Storage space is nice
AWD is nice for safety onroad

Off road parts are pricey
Unibody
Can barely fit 31's stock
On paper I cant come up with many cons but being tired of it means something.

Xj with 4.0
Many are already modded
lightweight and have a good power/weight
aftermarket support
Bulletproof engine
Very capable yet comfortable compromise between Grand and wrangler

Open diffs with not traction aides
Aging looks(put nicely)
Ugly interior(vs grand)
Most people want the money they put in back(ex. 99 cherokee stock 3k/lifted 5k)
My wife hates them..

Land rover discovery 99-2004(this wont end well)
Very capable off road
Traction control system works well(a bit dated compared to quadradrive)
Body on frame
Handle very well onroad and at home on the town(snob alert!)
Wins in the storage dept.. You can fit a bicycle in there standing up.
Very stout build quality(talking structure here)
Very good Tranny,axles,transfer case

Reliability.. lots of DIY cheap fixes for most electrical things but a head gasket isn't one of them.
MPG similar but a little less than the jeep
On the wrong end of the power/weight ratio(better 2003-04) but torquey enough that in normal driving you dont notice(until you floor it)
Parts cost.. This isn't so much of an issue today with used parts but some things must be bought new. Aftermarket common failure parts are reasonable(ex. $125 for a radiator) that being said you wont walk into an advanced auto for most things.

As a 3rd vehicle for some mild wheeling(getting to the top of the mountain,exploring ghost towns,Destination wheeling vs rock crawling) which would you pick?

xxturbowesxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
nwiTJdave

Taco

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

First gen 4runner. Get solid axle swap if it doesn't have one, three inch lift, run 33"s

22RE is a reliable little motor, doesn't have gobs of power but a regear takes care of that. Roof comes off, and in winter it's pretty well insulated, has plenty of cargo space and a full second row of seats and they're nice n light

Cons..... Typical Toyota rust....
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
xxturbowesxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Taco
Havent really come across much at that price other than a late 80's taco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
First gen 4runner. Get solid axle swap if it doesn't have one, three inch lift, run 33"s

22RE is a reliable little motor, doesn't have gobs of power but a regear takes care of that. Roof comes off, and in winter it's pretty well insulated, has plenty of cargo space and a full second row of seats and they're nice n light

Cons..... Typical Toyota rust....
Want something a bit more modern. Dont get me wrong they work very well on the trail but im not really looking for a trail rig rather than something 50/50 street trail(maybe like 60/40).
xxturbowesxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Indy

They didnt make a taco in the 80s, 1995 was the first year.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxturbowesxx

Havent really come across much at that price other than a late 80's taco.

Want something a bit more modern. Dont get me wrong they work very well on the trail but im not really looking for a trail rig rather than something 50/50 street trail(maybe like 60/40).
I daily drive my runner and stuff. It's fun picking up friends with the roof off, throwing our bags in the back and heading off to the park. Yeah it's old n stuff but its easy to work on, fun to drive, I can carry all my stuff and hit the trails when I want. Other thing to look at would be a limited zj. All the creature comforts on solid axles and they're readily affordable
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.