Chevy Restore - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Chevy Restore

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Chevy Restore

I have a 1992 Chevy Silverado, the engine is out and needs to at least be rebuilt and it needs a new transmission. For any other vehicle i would be just take it to the junkyard and id rather go buy one. But this truck i have sentamental (sp?) value for, b/c it was my dads truck. I am a senior in highschool and funds are very limited, but i really want to get this truck running so i can drive it. Anybody have any suggestions or advice for where/how to start, because i am very serious about this but i do not know what direction to take....

RJC #377
StokedXJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

Cheapest way is to go buy an entire car(or truck) from an individual that is junky but runs well enough. Strip out the engine and trans,junk the rest.
Unread 01-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
bobjp

Look for some forums on those trucks. Try 67-72chevytrucks.com, they deal mainly with 67-87 trucks but there is a forum for the newer trucks. You should start by doing some reading on the internet and maybe pick up a book on rebuilding engines. It's not difficult to do.
Unread 01-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
pyro9862

Cheapest route is to find a van, pickup, suburban etc with the same motor/trans and just take the whole thing.
A motor rebuild done yourself will run you close to $1,000 by the time you're done. Having someone else do it well will cost a bit more than that. Then the tranny will be another $300 to do yourself or $1,000 to have someone do it.
So figure $1300 for everything rebuilt doing the work yourself. Or a few hundred for a parts car. One is cheaper, the other is going to last longer.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ill try to post some pictures up on wednesday of the truck. It is in no good shape by any means, but that is ok. For if i can at least get it to run then all i have is time to work everything else out with it, but look back on wednesday probably for pictures.
RJC #377
StokedXJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Deschain
1995 ZJ 

If you have to, and it means that much to you, just park it till you get the cash/time, it won't be going anywhere.
Deschain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.