Chevy Guys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Chevy Guys

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Chevy Guys

I don't know much about it so I've come asking for help.

My neighbor needs help working on his truck. It's a Chevy Silverado 1993 and he needs to replace an "in-tank fuel pump".

What things should I know? Or is it as simple as dropping the tank and replacing the pump?

Thanks fellas.

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

It might be easier to pull the bed, it doesn't have to come all the way off, just tilted up on drivers side. Loosen right side bed bolts, remove left side bolts and filler neck, check and/or unplug wiring at the back for lights and trailer. Remove items from bed and tailgate to reduce weight and lift bed up with some help, have wood blocks or something to wedge bed up in place.

Pulling the bed can be easier since you don't have to deal with laying on you back, dealing with a long skinny tank of fuel. Plus the fuel line connections can be a PITA from the bottom. I've done them both ways and would only consider dropping the tank with a lift and trans jack for the tank.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Hurley91

Just lift the box off. You can use a engine hoist. Or just lift it up with someone else. Make things much easier.
Unread 05-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is it possible with two people?

I don't know how heavy a bed is.

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
Unread 05-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Yes, 2 people can lift one side and then put something underneath to support it up. Generally I like to have 3-4 people for small truck beds and 4-5 for full size when pulling the bed off to take it somewhere
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

If vehicles do rust where you live removing the bed can be harder then you think.
Chevys from 88 and up uses rivetnuts in the bed and if there is any rust on the bolt the rivetnuts is going to get loose and then they just spins inside the beams under the bed.

When i had to remove the bed from my 82 c20 me and my dad just lifted it up and walked away with it (8ft bed) they are not that heavy.
When we put it back on we were 3, 2 holding up the bed and the third person inside the truck backing it up under the bed.
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.5TD -94
Chevrolet C20 6.2 -82
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 94 Sierra gt that i had to replace the fuel lines on. The truck was beautiful. And i tried lifting the bed and had no luck getting the bolts out. I ended up cutting the tank straps and replaced them with new.

You could cut a section of the bed out to gain access. And if he has a plastic bedliner, just cover it up and call it a day.
Unread 06-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #8
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your help guys. We did this today.

We lifted the bed completely. Everything was pretty straight forward. And it fired right up.

Only issue we ran into is initially breaking the bolts. Rust and crud due to the age. But a little PB Blaster did the trick. Also, his receiver was in the way of one of the access holes in the frame, so we had to remove it. And to do that we had to remove the spare.

Otherwise everything went great.

Quote:
Unread 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, I saw you & your dad a few months back around Total Wine off Barrett!
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

We were there for the REI.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.