Chevy 3.8L in a CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Chevy 3.8L in a CJ7?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-10-2001, 01:00 AM   #1
StevieC

Chevy 3.8L in a CJ7?

Hello everyone-

I have a unique situation, was wondering if you folks could help me determine feasibility.
I have access to a late 70's CJ7, with everything but the engine, in decent shape. I also have a
1988 Olds Toronado with a V-6, 3.8 L engine which is also in great shape.

Is it possible within reason to place this engine in the Jeep?

I appreciate any input anyone can provide. I'm not terribly engine savvy, but I have a pal who is a
whiz- thought I'd see if he would be willing to help me out. Wanted to ask you all first.

Thanks!

Steve

StevieC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2001, 09:43 AM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

My uncle put a GM V-6 (I forget the size) in his '55 Willy's Jeep by himself without too much trouble (he did have to move the steering box and get some adapters). Sorry I don't really remember what was involved it was years ago and I didn't help much, but it is possible. I wouldn't think that a CJ7 would be any more difficult than a Willy's, but I'm no expert.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2001, 05:54 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you are planning on using the stock tranny and related goodies, I would contact the good people at Advance Adapters and see what they have available.

I am sure if you can get the bell housing to mate up and the output shaft to hook up, it could be done. You might need to make your own engine mounts and such, but if you are handy with fabrication tools, it wouldn't be too bad.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
fuelin

correct me if im wrong but the 3.8 fwd engine has a different trans bolt pattern then the rwd so you will be unable to get a trans for a rwd application w/o making your own adapter.
fuelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2001, 11:41 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

An '88 Olds Toronado is front wheel drive????

IF that's true, then forget what I said earlier .. it won't work ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2001, 12:58 AM   #6
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hang on here for just a sec'. The bell housing bolt pattern on the Buick 3.8L (even though it came out of an Olds, it's a Buick engine) is common to all late-model GM engines. The difference in FWD vs. RWD is the actual bell housing used, possible tranny input shaft spline count difference, and the exhaust system.

Even though the V6 you're talking about is an '88, the fact of the matter is that GM bell housing bolt patterns are identical for all V6 and V8 engines. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself at your friendly neighborhood junkyard.

In any case, you should be able to find the correct adapter. Worst case (best case?), you may need to get a bell housing, flywheel, starter, etc. from a '95+ Camaro.

Which, incidentally, should have a trans-side bolt pattern to match up with a Borg Warner T-5 or similar... Could be wrong on this last bit, but Adv. Adapters should be able to adapt the Chevy bell housing to at least one other transmission.

Engine swaps are full of "gotcha's", but you should be able to make that 3.8L work with a little creativity. Good luck!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2001, 12:38 AM   #7
fuelin

i have swapped many 3.8 engines and trannys as i was a mechanic at a buick dealership and i am pretty sure those trannys do not have removable bellhousings...so an adapter is needed and i am also pretty sure that the 3.8 fwd has a different pattern than the 3.8 gran national engine....kinda like how the 700r4 tranny in this era of the late 80's at least had different engine bolt patterns for the v8s and 6 cyls...
fuelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.