Cherokee or wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cherokee or wrangler?

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Kj7748

Cherokee or wrangler?

I'm about to buy a jeep and not sure what to get. A Cherokee or wrangler. I know wranglers are good for rock crawling and what not but I live in florida so there's really no mountains to crawl I would mostly be going through mud. I don't care about cargo room body style doors no doors roof no roof. I just want to know which is better for plowing through the mud and not getting stuck ( I'll obviously get stuck eventually but you get the point) I'm also not the wealthiest so price is kinda low

Kj7748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

in initial purchase, you dollar will go a lot further with an XJ (at least in AZ it did for me) but after market parts are a lot more plentiful for a wrangler, and a wrangler is a lot more mod friendly.

My recommendation is to figure out where you want to be in 5 years with your vehicle. look at pictures of what others have done, figure out what your "reasonable dream" would be, and buy in that direct line. If you do not, then you will always be chasing that, and spend a lot more money in the long run.

For me I wanted to fit my family (a wife and 3 kids) so that kinda forced me into an XJ, but also my dad had an XJ (85 with a 4 banger) when I was growing up, so I had very fond memories of that vehicle. and I love the look of a low cog cherokee with big tires. I am installing a 3.5" lift, which I do not plan on going bigger than but I hope to some day fit 33"s or even 35"s with some major axle upgrades (and a lot of trimming). that is my goal and my xj is exactly what I'm looking for.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Xj is cheapest to buy. If you plan on slogging it through the mud, it won't last you five years anyways. It will keep the most mud off you, but its harder to clean out. You can buy two or three XJs for the price of a YJ
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Considering I have owned 2 cherokees, 1 comanche, and 2 wranglers over the last few years...

Your 16, on a budget, and want something to romp around in the mud with. Cherokee hands down. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to mod.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
AlTheKillerr

XJs are cheap and if you want to do well in mud get lockers and gears
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

An XJ is the best buy. Look for a 98, 99, or 96 to get the best years. There's lots of info on this forum as to why, so I won't regurgitate all of that right now. What I found when I was shopping for Jeeps was that the Wranglers were running about 2 to 3 times as much as the XJs. The engine, transmissions, t-cases, and lifts are are comparable between the two vehicles, so it comes down to one thing: how much more are you willing to pay to be able to take the roof off?
Unread 09-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
paroxysym
2007 WK 

my votes for the XJ- owned 2 wranglers, a cherokee and 2 grands... miss my XJ the most and honestly it wheeled better than my wrangler and was cheap to mod.
Unread 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

i prefer a wrangler. can't go wrong with either though.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can tell you from experience, YJs and WJs aren't really cheap to modify. XJs however, are like everybody is saying... cheap. Think of it as an AK, plenty to go around, sturdy, and cheap to buy/maintain.

If I was on a tight budget and starting out into the Jeep thing all over again, I'd go 2 door XJ.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If by 'plowing through the mud and not getting stuck' you mean 'getting chicks to beg you for a ride', then I'd go wrangler.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For me I wouldn't want to build anything that wouldn't last for a long time. The Xj is a unibody and I just don't see it lasting as long. The only reason I would get a unibody vehicle is if it were going to get me 30+ mpg.

If both space and longevity are a concern than I would widen my search.

If longevity isn’t a concern for you than I wouldn’t worry about the unibody. If space isn’t a concern than for sure the Wrangler.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
For me I wouldn't want to build anything that wouldn't last for a long time. The Xj is a unibody and I just don't see it lasting as long. The only reason I would get a unibody vehicle is if it were going to get me 30+ mpg.

If both space and longevity are a concern than I would widen my search.

If longevity isn’t a concern for you than I wouldn’t worry about the unibody. If space isn’t a concern than for sure the Wrangler.
So far my unit body has lasted 13 years with some small rocker rust and she loves playing in the mud and snow in the winter months. Its all how you take care of them not how they are built I see tj's in pa rot out faster than xj's.
Unread 09-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
So far my unit body has lasted 13 years with some small rocker rust and she loves playing in the mud and snow in the winter months. Its all how you take care of them not how they are built I see tj's in pa rot out faster than xj's.
Thirteen years isn't long. I am not talking about rust but the body itself coming apart. Not sure what is unique about PA that causes TJs to rot.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

Thirteen years isn't long. I am not talking about rust but the body itself coming apart. Not sure what is unique about PA that causes TJs to rot.
Lots and lots of road salt and bad weather,after years of working in auto body and I very rarely have seen a unit body come apart flex a bit yes but not come apart.
Unread 09-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Thirteen years isn't long. I am not talking about rust but the body itself coming apart.
Lol
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.