Cherokee towing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cherokee towing?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-10-2001, 09:41 AM   #1
Matt Johnston

Cherokee towing?

Hello, I am a total newbie to the Jeep world, I come from the land of racecars (mostly rally, imports) The reason I am posting, is I am looking at a 98 Jeep Cherokee sport. The reason I am looking for a truck/suv is because I need something to drive daily, and most importantly tow my racecar. My racecar is about 1600lbs, and the trailer is a double axle, open, wood deck trailer with electric brakes. I am most interested in the cherokee because of my need to drive it daily, seems much more fun than a suburban or something. My question is, with a proper hitch, would the cherokee be able to handle that sort of load? I figured I would come to the source... Thanks in advance..

-matt

Matt Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 02:31 PM   #2
horatio102
Web Wheeler

A '98 with 4.0L and tow package should be able to tow 5000lbs. I'm not sure if you need the Auto for that or not. Standard towing is 2000, max is 5000.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 02:45 PM   #3
Darko

I would HIGHLY reccomend the cherokee. It would be a exellent daily driver, and it should be able to tow 1600lbs no problem If you are interested in towing, a wrangler wouldn't be reccomended becuase of the short wheelbase they arent reccomended to tow much. If you end up buying that cherokee I wouldnt be surprised if you sell that racecar and put a lift on that cherokee..
Unread 12-28-2001, 07:43 PM   #4
skimemphis

Yeah, definitely go with the Cherokee, and don't let your wife or anybody talk you out of 4WD - it's a definite advantage in numerous special situations you'll run into, well worth the extra money. Not only does it give extra pulling power when needed but the shift position 4WD-low is great for easing a valuable cargo over rough spots, like the washboard ruts on the access roads to some of the racetracks around here.
skimemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2001, 01:35 AM   #5
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Yeah. Don't let anybody talk you out of 4wd. I towed a friend's motorcycle trailer to an event once and the "pit" area was in some muddy woods, courtesy of a little Washington rain. If I hadn't had 4wd on my Grand Cherokee, I would have been stuck due to the weight of the trailer (big wells-cargo with bikes and tools in it). I was able to pop in 4wd and crawl up the hill. If you're a rally racer, you might need it for recovering your car from the woods. (Been there, done that, with somebody else's car)
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.