Check Engine Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Check Engine Light

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
JeepinGirl24

Check Engine Light

How do I reset a check engine light on a 2005 jeep wrangler? I replaced the ambient air sensor temperature (per the diagnostic check) and the check engine light is still on. Should I reset it? Any help would be appreciated!!

JeepinGirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
vwbuge
2002 WJ 

disconnect negative battery terminal...wait 5 minutes...reconnect.
245/70-17
vwbuge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
JeepinGirl24

I tried that but the engine light is still on. Not sure what to do. If you have any other suggestions I'm open to hearing them. Thanks for your help!!
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Hurley91

You need a OBDII scanner to reset it.
Hurley91 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If the light is on there is a problem. you can go to a local auto store and they can scan it or you can borrow the scanner and pull the codes.

but, you may have better luck in the TJ forum...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
JeepinGirl24

I originally went to an automotive store and they did a diagnostic check and it came back telling me the ambient temp sensor needed to be checked or replaced so that's what I did. But the engine light remains on.... At a loss.
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

It will reset after a drive cycle, you should of reset it with the scanner. You can also check them yourself, use the search I know this has been covered b4.
sreno0207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl24 View Post
How do I reset a check engine light on a 2005 jeep wrangler? I replaced the ambient air sensor temperature (per the diagnostic check) and the check engine light is still on. Should I reset it? Any help would be appreciated!!
Pull + batery cable end off of the + battery post. Ground it out for 30 seconds. That drains the power in the capacitors in the brain that holds the learned memory. Now re-connect the + battery cable to the + post on the battery. Fire it up and take it for a ride. You are now running on factory presets. Your brain will now gather information over the next 50 full cycle starts to compare to each time you drive.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

You can also disconnect both terminals and connect them together for like 5 minutes to reset it. But I tried that after I replaced my TPS and it didn't work, then again I'm OBD1. Just wait it out. My CEL eventually went out about a week later.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.