Cheapest and Most Expensive cars to replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cheapest and Most Expensive cars to replace

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
louisd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cheapest and Most Expensive cars to replace

After spending about 4 years working on my 00 Cherokee and my 97 Avalon it appears that the Cherokee is less expensive to fix. I would think that it would be reverse, because China makes stuff super cheap. Though I have noticed that more things do break on the Cherokee.
What do you guys think is the most expensive and least expensive cars to fix. My theory is that Ford/Chrysler are inexpensive to fix, but break more often. While Toyota/Nissian have more expensive replacement parts, but don't break as often. While BMW is expensive to fix and break a lot. (From what I heard). Let me know what you guys think.

-Chrysler 8.25 Rear w/ 3.55 Gears
Horn Blasters 4 Horn set, Dynomax cat back sys., K&N FIPK, Fire Ext., Warrior Bumper (HERCULINEDw/ D-Ring Tabs)
______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
louisd11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty surprised with my Volkswagen. Parts are cheap and most stuff is easy to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Toyota is actually Japanese, but I would expect their higher end cars (Avalon) to be more expensive to fix than say, a Corolla. Now a days, any Toyota is going to hit the wallet hard for the most part because they have so much technology in them, and they tend to be pretty cramped to work on.

My Cherokee and Mustang are both relatively cheap and easy to work on.

As far as least expensive, probably an old 80's Toyota Tacoma, any CJ Jeep, older economy cars... not much to break on these, parts are PLENTIFUL, and they are generally laid out well and not hard to work on.

Most expensive... BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and of course the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, so on.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thats funny OP. I have a 94 ZJ and a 99 Avalon D.D. I say the Jeep is more expensive because of all the electrical issues
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
evoGibson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i would say a stolen car is easiest to replace and repair. if it breaks or you wreck it, just steal another!
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

An XJ has got to be one of the cheapest vehicles in recent history to fix. Relatively easy to work on, and if you can do it yourself, there are loads of them in junk yards.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
xxxflhrci

I have a Toyota, Ford, Jeep, and Mercedes. I find a lot of parts on them to be priced in about the same range.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
rubizen
2013 JK Wrangler 

I used to work at a Toyota factory (8 yrs.). I wouldn't buy a Camry, Avalon, Solara or Venza. The factory in Georgetown Ky has huge problems. When I started there in 2000 their piority was quality. Now all they want to do is make the car as fast and cheap as possible. They have been coasting along on their reputation for quality from the 90's but people have started noticing the drop in quality. Consumer Reports stopped giving Toyota products and automatic "Buy" rating.
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
pentastar01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubizen View Post
I used to work at a Toyota factory (8 yrs.). I wouldn't buy a Camry, Avalon, Solara or Venza. The factory in Georgetown Ky has huge problems. When I started there in 2000 their piority was quality. Now all they want to do is make the car as fast and cheap as possible. They have been coasting along on their reputation for quality from the 90's but people have started noticing the drop in quality. Consumer Reports stopped giving Toyota products and automatic "Buy" rating.

Yeah,(Sorry to thread jack) it's only a matter of time before the Japanese start making the same mistakes the Big Three did. "Greed will imprison us all." And then the Koreans will take their place. Also, Consumer Reports has always been on the Japanese c**k, and always will. And always look down on ANYTHING American.
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Wranglers, XJs, ZJs, and WJs have always been cheaper to fix due to their simple designs. Parts for my mom's Ford Windstar are always 2-3X more than the same parts for my Jeep.

However, the cheapest vehicle in history to work on is the 1985 GMC 2500 I had. I'm kindof upset that I sold it, but it got terrible gas mileage.

Spark plugs: $0.89
Air Filter: $6.00
Brake Pads: $10.00
Brake Calipers: $15.00
Shocks: $15.00

The Chevy 350ci engine has probably the most aftermarket support in the world, and all the gaskets, belts, hoses, and hard parts are dirt cheap too.

Here's my cars and family's cars on a scale of 1-5:
($ - Parts Cost - Reliability)

1988 Jeep XJ 4.0L:
$$$$$ √√√√√

1995 ZJ 4.0L:

$$$$$ √√√√

1986 Audi GT 2.3L:

$$$$$ √√√√√

1993 Nissan NX 2.0L:
$$$$$ √√√√

1985 GMC C2500 5.7L:
$$$$$ √√√√√

1999 Ford Windstar 3.8L:
$$$$$ √√√√√

2004 Toyota Camry 2.4L:
$$$$$ √√√√
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
remery829
2007 JK Wrangler 

the ferrari 599xx has carbon fiber brake rotors.....

[CENTER][B]vvvthis is what they don't tell you about LCGvvv[/B][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=]...I went with the lcg method but its never ending be because once you fix one thing something else breaks or needs upgrading...[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][B][U][COLOR="yellow"]SUPPORT OUR TROOPS[/COLOR][/U][/B][/CENTER]
[URL="http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1283292679-9a7df2f9eebd07dc48f628e4fb5cbc1881910fd4"]City Profile[/URL]
remery829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastar01 View Post
And always look down on ANYTHING American.
quite odd to say, considering they've given the Ford Focus one of the highest ratings on compact cars since it came out.

hmmm...
______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]

_.(o)_)__(o)_)-o-)_)
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubizen View Post
This. My moms 09 Corolla has been the most craptastic vehicle my family has ever owned. The tranny went out 500 miles after the warranty went up, and they wouldn't pay a dime.
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #14
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
This. My moms 09 Corolla has been the most craptastic vehicle my family has ever owned. The tranny went out 500 miles after the warranty went up, and they wouldn't pay a dime.
An '09 that is already outta warranty?
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. she bought it when the 09's first came out in June of 08. She's got 37,000 miles on it already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.