JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   Cheapest and Most Expensive cars to replace (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/cheapest-most-expensive-cars-replace-934170/)

louisd11 12-27-2009 10:08 AM

Cheapest and Most Expensive cars to replace

After spending about 4 years working on my 00 Cherokee and my 97 Avalon it appears that the Cherokee is less expensive to fix. I would think that it would be reverse, because China makes stuff super cheap. Though I have noticed that more things do break on the Cherokee.
What do you guys think is the most expensive and least expensive cars to fix. My theory is that Ford/Chrysler are inexpensive to fix, but break more often. While Toyota/Nissian have more expensive replacement parts, but don't break as often. While BMW is expensive to fix and break a lot. (From what I heard). Let me know what you guys think.

Divinitous 12-27-2009 10:55 AM

I'm pretty surprised with my Volkswagen. Parts are cheap and most stuff is easy to fix.

XJ4oh 12-27-2009 11:24 AM

Toyota is actually Japanese, but I would expect their higher end cars (Avalon) to be more expensive to fix than say, a Corolla. Now a days, any Toyota is going to hit the wallet hard for the most part because they have so much technology in them, and they tend to be pretty cramped to work on.

My Cherokee and Mustang are both relatively cheap and easy to work on.

As far as least expensive, probably an old 80's Toyota Tacoma, any CJ Jeep, older economy cars... not much to break on these, parts are PLENTIFUL, and they are generally laid out well and not hard to work on.

Most expensive... BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and of course the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, so on.

coonash 12-27-2009 11:34 AM

Thats funny OP. I have a 94 ZJ and a 99 Avalon D.D. I say the Jeep is more expensive because of all the electrical issues

evoGibson 12-27-2009 04:37 PM

i would say a stolen car is easiest to replace and repair. if it breaks or you wreck it, just steal another!

Ski01xj 12-27-2009 04:41 PM

An XJ has got to be one of the cheapest vehicles in recent history to fix. Relatively easy to work on, and if you can do it yourself, there are loads of them in junk yards.

xxxflhrci 12-27-2009 05:42 PM

I have a Toyota, Ford, Jeep, and Mercedes. I find a lot of parts on them to be priced in about the same range.

rubizen 12-27-2009 06:16 PM

I used to work at a Toyota factory (8 yrs.). I wouldn't buy a Camry, Avalon, Solara or Venza. The factory in Georgetown Ky has huge problems. When I started there in 2000 their piority was quality. Now all they want to do is make the car as fast and cheap as possible. They have been coasting along on their reputation for quality from the 90's but people have started noticing the drop in quality. Consumer Reports stopped giving Toyota products and automatic "Buy" rating.

pentastar01 12-27-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubizen (Post 8561348)
I used to work at a Toyota factory (8 yrs.). I wouldn't buy a Camry, Avalon, Solara or Venza. The factory in Georgetown Ky has huge problems. When I started there in 2000 their piority was quality. Now all they want to do is make the car as fast and cheap as possible. They have been coasting along on their reputation for quality from the 90's but people have started noticing the drop in quality. Consumer Reports stopped giving Toyota products and automatic "Buy" rating.

Yeah,(Sorry to thread jack) it's only a matter of time before the Japanese start making the same mistakes the Big Three did. "Greed will imprison us all." And then the Koreans will take their place. Also, Consumer Reports has always been on the Japanese c**k, and always will. And always look down on ANYTHING American.

Chris_Walker 12-27-2009 10:28 PM

Wranglers, XJs, ZJs, and WJs have always been cheaper to fix due to their simple designs. Parts for my mom's Ford Windstar are always 2-3X more than the same parts for my Jeep.

However, the cheapest vehicle in history to work on is the 1985 GMC 2500 I had. I'm kindof upset that I sold it, but it got terrible gas mileage.

Spark plugs: $0.89
Air Filter: $6.00
Brake Pads: $10.00
Brake Calipers: $15.00
Shocks: $15.00

The Chevy 350ci engine has probably the most aftermarket support in the world, and all the gaskets, belts, hoses, and hard parts are dirt cheap too.

Here's my cars and family's cars on a scale of 1-5:
($ - Parts Cost - Reliability)

1988 Jeep XJ 4.0L:
$$$$$ √√√√√

1995 ZJ 4.0L:

$$$$$ √√√√

1986 Audi GT 2.3L:

$$$$$ √√√√√

1993 Nissan NX 2.0L:
$$$$$ √√√√

1985 GMC C2500 5.7L:
$$$$$ √√√√√

1999 Ford Windstar 3.8L:
$$$$$ √√√√√

2004 Toyota Camry 2.4L:
$$$$$ √√√√

remery829 12-27-2009 10:36 PM

the ferrari 599xx has carbon fiber brake rotors.....

Tarukai 12-27-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentastar01 (Post 8562795)
And always look down on ANYTHING American.

quite odd to say, considering they've given the Ford Focus one of the highest ratings on compact cars since it came out.

hmmm...

LJameson 12-27-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubizen (Post 8561348)

This. My moms 09 Corolla has been the most craptastic vehicle my family has ever owned. The tranny went out 500 miles after the warranty went up, and they wouldn't pay a dime. :rolleyes:

xxxflhrci 12-28-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 (Post 8563683)
This. My moms 09 Corolla has been the most craptastic vehicle my family has ever owned. The tranny went out 500 miles after the warranty went up, and they wouldn't pay a dime. :rolleyes:

An '09 that is already outta warranty?

LJameson 12-28-2009 12:38 AM

Yep. she bought it when the 09's first came out in June of 08. She's got 37,000 miles on it already.

The time now is 09:26 PM.