cheap hunting rig ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > cheap hunting rig ideas

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Indy

cheap hunting rig ideas

Been hunting the last couple weeks in my shiny f150 and decided that leather seats and 12mpg isn't nec. the best rig to drag tree branches down the side of. I have access to a quad, but 4am travel at -10 isn't a ton of fun either. Jeep is a ways out from being done, so looking for a cheap, small, good mpg hunting rig I can beat the living **** out of until the jeep is done. Sammie size for tight trails preferred. I've been looking for a sam. but everyone is asking 2k or more regardless of condition, so maybe something else. It doesn't have to be super good at wheeling, just 4wd.

Ideas?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Been hunting the last couple weeks in my shiny f150 and decided that leather seats and 12mpg isn't nec. the best rig to drag tree branches down the side of. I have access to a quad, but 4am travel at -10 isn't a ton of fun either. Jeep is a ways out from being done, so looking for a cheap, small, good mpg hunting rig I can beat the living **** out of until the jeep is done. Sammie size for tight trails preferred. I've been looking for a sam. but everyone is asking 2k or more regardless of condition, so maybe something else. It doesn't have to be super good at wheeling, just 4wd.

Ideas?
Have you looked at the Geo versions of teh Samurai and such? Tracker I think its called? Even uglier than a Sammy (esp. with the bow tie on front!) not sure if 4x4 or not but it'd work!
Unread 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Old Toyota pickup.

Does anybody sell heated coveralls that can plug into your ATV? They make heated gloves. It would be cheaper than another vehicle.
Texan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

You can find 93-95 ZJs for pretty cheap now.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
gatorbait
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Try "cajunminitrucks.com".Hope that might be of help.
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
dyna

Dood, I have just what you need cheap 4wd PU or XJ, to bad your in WY. Dollar for dollar I dont think you can beat a Cherokee, cheap, plentiful and roomy enough up top to haul king size road kill.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
99green sport

Is an early to mid nineties 4wd ford ranger out of the question? I had one for a work truck years ago and it was indestructible. Those pos's can be found for well under 2k around here...
Unread 10-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

just buy a K5 blazer for like 2 grand and call it done.

it'll make the trees move.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
ImSuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
just buy a K5 blazer for like 2 grand and call it done.

it'll make the trees move.
this is true
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #59
[QUOTE=Grewe02]No such thing. Eat **** and die.[/QUOTE]

lifted with some extra's
......sold
ImSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ckl18...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VERY-...QQcmdZViewItem

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
Indy

Thanks for the ideas so far. The full size blazers and similar are out, they're just too big for some of the places I need to run to. Many of the trails are so thick with trees you can't see 18" into the tree line, and even a cj5 would come back with paint free fenders.

I thought about an old cherokee for a while. 6 months ago I had no need and found runners everywhere for 500. Now they're all 2k+ for the same condition.

I found a guy selling a 4 door hardtop sidekick for $700, but not a ton of info as far as how usable they are off road. They seem to lack any kind of ground clearance.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Tex
Old Toyota pickup.
x2

Saw one up on the mountain on Sunday and it was a goer
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
ElPaca19

I agree,

old Toyota pick up

Geo Tracker with 4x4

I think the side Kick would do fine

an XJ

FJ40
[SIZE="1"]Mine: 2000 Black XJ Sport, D30 and 8.25 w/ Yukon 4.56's, 4.5" RE SF (plus a 1.75" Daystar spacer, 1.75" Teraflex shackle), OME LT Shocks, SJ SS, M.O.R.E Steering Box Brace, JKS Adj Track Bar, JKS Discos, AA SYE and TW CV DS, 15x8 Black Rock Krawlers, 33x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorns, Bushwackers, ARB Bumper, 45 x 60 Surco rack, AJ's Super Rails, Class III rear hitch, 4 100w Hella 500's, Hella 550s, Hella Vision Plus, CB w/4ft Antenna, removable hood deck port, Borla cat back etc.[/SIZE]
ElPaca19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i'd say a XJ or a 97+ S-10 Blazer. the 6cyl in the blazer is awesome and the blazer is small enough to fit anywhere a jeep can. they are a dime a dozen.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
Jon08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

I used a 2 door Kia Sportage, real cheap and same 93 inch wheel base as wrangler, great gas mileage too

2008 Sahara Auto 2 Door 20,450 miles JKUR Coils and shocks, Magnaflow, Superchip, Banks CAI, Winch, OBA and 4:88's
Jon08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.