Cell Phone Signal Repeater - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cell Phone Signal Repeater

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
builder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cell Phone Signal Repeater

I don't get a good cell signal in the house, and its not just my phone its every ones phones. Has any body had luck using a repeater? If I can get the cells to work in the house I can ditch the house phone.

Unread 10-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure, but I would say don't ditch the land line b/c it has it's own power, b/c you never know if the power goes out and takes the cell towers with it b/c you'd be stuck without a phone. I just never understood why someone would want to get rid of their land line in the event their cell phone didn't work during a power outage

just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Indy

I was paying $60/month to have telemarketers call my house. Bye bye landline.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Dump the landline and get VOIP. I have had Vonage for about 5 years and I prefer it over cells at home. I have only the Basic plan, not Unlimited. Even with numerous incoming and outgoing calls I never come close to using up 500 minutes per month because many calls both incoming and outgoing are free of charge. I have 2 lines (1 required for my consulting business, the other for business backup and personal). So far this month I have used only 75 minutes of In-Plan minutes across both lines. Yes, I really use the phone a lot too. I spent almost one hour today just talking with my new mortgage company. Vonage gives the subscriber a lot of free minutes.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Step 1: Get a cell phone with wifi.
Step 2: Make calls over the wifi.
Step 3: Profit.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
isezumi00

Actual Cellphone Repeaters are expensive as hell and require licensing from the FCC...sooo good luck with that.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
corndogduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshrad1 View Post
Not sure, but I would say don't ditch the land line b/c it has it's own power, b/c you never know if the power goes out and takes the cell towers with it b/c you'd be stuck without a phone. I just never understood why someone would want to get rid of their land line in the event their cell phone didn't work during a power outage

just my .02
This.

Plus, you can use the landline power to charge flashlights and such in an outage.
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm old school enough to never get rid of my landline. I like to have one phone nailed to the wall that doesn't have to charge so that no matter what, I know where it is and that it works

My house has problems with cell and radio in and taking cordless outside. When i added a sunroom I had to pull the siding and I found out that the PO had done a house wrap with foil coated paper. Whan I pulled it off to clean up the wall the room behind it got reception again. He had turned the house into a Farraday cage
I didn't bother pulling the siding and removing the rest but at least I know now.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
JRussum

Quote:
Originally Posted by isezumi00 View Post
Actual Cellphone Repeaters are expensive as hell and require licensing from the FCC...sooo good luck with that.

Not Really

Wireless Extenders - Home

"**** you, Im getting IN the plane, let Evel Kinevel get ON the plane!!! - George Carlin
JRussum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
martinsburgjeep
I is the laws

I went for awhile without a landline, now I have vonage mainly because it allows me to call japan for free
Unread 10-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
hawaii
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Get a phone that supports UMA and check if your provider has it. Then you can use your local minutes over WiFi in your own place when you don't have cellular signal.
hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
soccit
2005 XJ Cherokee 

You don't need a license for a signal booster... they meet FCC requirements

I actually have purchased a repeater kit from unwiredsignal.com it only cost me like $675 with shipping... I also had a 30 day money back guarantee.

I had a good signal outside 3-4 bars but in my home I had no bars. (having a metal roof didn't help me any.) After receiving the kit and setting it up, when I turned it on I now have full bars through out my home. It works for my air card and our cell phones!

The kit I purchased is the Wilson DB Pro 841262 Booster- Repeater Kit its dual band so it works for all providers except nextel. I also got rid of my land line so the kit will eventually pay for itself.

BTW I tried the zBoost, I had to be 4-5 ft from the inside device for it to actually work... You get what you pay for. In this case I got my money back.

Best advice I could give you, check it out, do your research, look for good customer service and make sure there is a money back guarantee just in case because there are companies out there that will just sell you something to make a sale and afterwards you cant even get in touch with a real person to ask questions.

Also, check review and testimonials... that is something I didn't do the first time around.

Hope this helped
T.I.
soccit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.