Cell Phone radiation - where is your phone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cell Phone radiation - where is your phone?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cell Phone radiation - where is your phone?

I'm sure most of us caught on the news that a report from the Environmental Working Group, a non-profit watchdog group, on Cell Phone Radiation was recently released.

Snip:

Quote:
Concerns about radiation and cellphones have swirled for years. Scientific evidence to date has not been able to make a hard link between cancer and cellphones. But recent studies "are showing increased risk for brain and mouth tumors for people who have used cellphones for at least 10 years," says Jane Houlihan, senior vice president of research at the Washington-based group.

CTIA, the wireless industry lobbying association, disagrees. In a statement it noted that "scientific evidence has overwhelmingly indicated that wireless devices do not pose" a health hazard.

That's why the American Cancer Society, World Health Organization and Food and Drug Administration, among others, "all have concurred that wireless devices are not a public health risk," the CTIA statement says.

Houlihan acknowledges that "the verdict is still out" on whether cellphones can be linked directly to cancer.
Here is the link to 1,000 current and legacy phones arranged from lowest emitter to highest emitter: The List

I looked to see where my phone was and it is in the top 5%.

"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Eh, we're all going to die eventually.

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
KHoff90

Everything causes cancer nowadays anyway..
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

I'll take my chances. I haven't gotten cancer from using a microwave, not wearing sunscreen, drinking bottled water, living near power lines, using artificial sweetners, smoking cigars......this could be a long list.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yikes why do the newer phones, like blackberrys have ridiculous radiation. Mine is 1.51
Metaloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaloholic View Post
Yikes why do the newer phones, like blackberrys have ridiculous radiation. Mine is 1.51
I noticed that too. Crazy. You'd expect it to be the other way around.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

More than anything a BlackBerry is a business tool, not a toy. It must work through building materials that attenuate its signal. Therefore, it is going to have a high amount of radiation.

I have been using a Razr for years. I plan to get a new one soon because my present Razr has a weak battery and has exterior signs of wear. It was great to read this phone has low radiation. As an extra precaution, when I am not traveling I keep my cell phone far from me and turned off wherever possible.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon View Post
More than anything a BlackBerry is a business tool, not a toy. It must work through building materials that attenuate its signal. Therefore, it is going to have a high amount of radiation.

I have been using a Razr for years. I plan to get a new one soon because my present Razr has a weak battery and has exterior signs of wear. It was great to read this phone has low radiation. As an extra precaution, when I am not traveling I keep my cell phone far from me and turned off wherever possible.
They operate on GSM or 3g. They don't have anything special in them that makes them get a better signal than a different GSM phone on the same carrier. They just have the ability to do more stuff.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Plus, cell phones today are mini-computers, thereby demanding far more signal than ever before for both voice and data. This adds to the amount of radiation.

Thankfully, I rarely talk on my iPhone. I mainly use it for data.
mickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
vitapimp
Owner of REPOST™

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cell Phone radiation - where is your phone?
it's in my front pocket. if it does its job i won't have any more kids. i consider it my back-up plan if my vasectomy doesn't keep.
<>< Member #35
Red Jeep Club Member #337

What you are is God's gift to you...
What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
Make a change. Be different.
vitapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Yeah whenever I'm driving because I don't have cupholders my cell phone is normally in between my legs......oops.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think sterility is a concern from non-ionizing radiation.
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, check off another cancer that I will get.

Us firefighters have got it hard, lung cancer, mouth cancer, prostate cancer, brain cancer. Cancer related to chemical spills.....
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I stick
mine between my legs in the car, is that bad??? Or in a chest pocket...
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM View Post
I stick
mine between my legs in the car, is that bad??? Or in a chest pocket...
Oh crap.....your left one will shrink.........wait, come to think of it both will wither away and shrink and fall off........

As soon as I heard about this I flushed away my cell phone down the toilet and started drinking bottled water and almost bought one of them "dumb smart cars".....but then I woke up and relieved myself.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.