Cell Phone Bull**** - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 06:57 AM
tjwoo

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
Can't they just follow the cell phone signal?
TRIANGULATION!!!
haha

i called 411 once on my cell phone. i was looking for this restaurant. As i was talking to them, they told me i had missed the turn before I even said anything. i freaked out, turned the phone off and sat in the corner with the thumb in my mouth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoo View Post
TRIANGULATION!!!
haha

i called 411 once on my cell phone. i was looking for this restaurant. As i was talking to them, they told me i had missed the turn before I even said anything. i freaked out, turned the phone off and sat in the corner with the thumb in my mouth
DF is a *****.

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
post #48 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 AM
trailblazer2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcNaught View Post
Not really sure if you're actually concerned about stuff like this, but the FBI being able to remotely operate your cell to eavesdrop on you is something I think most people would be interested in knowing anyway.
Well, isn't that nice! Sounds like some ****ed up spawn from the Patriot Act. But don't worry, a judge granted them a warrant so it's totally legal!
post #49 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer2003 View Post
Well, isn't that nice! Sounds like some ****ed up spawn from the Patriot Act. But don't worry, a judge granted them a warrant so it's totally legal!
I thought the Patriot Act gave them the right to do warrantless wire taps.

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
post #50 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 07:24 AM
GLANGA88
1999 WJ 

Yeah, you really think E911 is only being used for "emergency purposes?" And with bluetooth and most phones starting to get WiFi or WiMax now your less anonymous than you ever thought possible, with or without your name and social security number attached to your cell phone plan.

The first people that helped you probably really thought you needed all of that info to get a SIM card. They genuinely didn't know most likely.
The last guy probably just fudged the info so that he could give you, hence the extra $10 "bribe."
Either way, just because of those first people being naive I would've gotten pissed too. When I call up Sprint and one rep tells me I don't know what I'm talking about, you can't add that to your plan, there is no such thing, I get pissed and call back and find someone who will help me and knows what I'm talking about. It doesn't help that half of their call centers are in India. When you work for a company, you should know the ins and outs of that company, how it works, what you offer the customer, and how to help them best. Most people who work for cell phone companies don't. They just type in a question in a database and read the most popular answer.
post #51 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
trailblazer2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
I thought the Patriot Act gave them the right to do warrantless wire taps.
You may be correct on that. Wasn't it the FBI that has those special judges who aren't really judges that issue warrants like they are candy? Can't remember the details, but it was in the news a year or so ago.
post #52 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 AM
trailblazer2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLANGA88 View Post
Either way, just because of those first people being naive I would've gotten pissed too. When I call up Sprint and one rep tells me I don't know what I'm talking about, you can't add that to your plan, there is no such thing, I get pissed and call back and find someone who will help me and knows what I'm talking about. It doesn't help that half of their call centers are in India. When you work for a company, you should know the ins and outs of that company, how it works, what you offer the customer, and how to help them best. Most people who work for cell phone companies don't. They just type in a question in a database and read the most popular answer.
I just had that happen with Sprint. First guy wanted to convert my line no charge, but had to still buy or provide a phone to complete transaction. Called back later, and second guy did it without a phone, just put in fake phone info. No early term or monthly fees.
post #53 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Get an aliases and buy stuff under that. It is not easy, I have been trying to figure it out for the fun of it, but then they are watching some one that does not exist.

I find the best way to be invisible is to do things like get a cell phone, get a face book, get your name out there with everyone else's, then your not in the minority
post #54 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
GLANGA88
1999 WJ 

Or start a shell company and buy your stuff under the company.
post #55 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
LandRover

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you're already in Alaska, you're basically off the grid anyway, aren't you? I think the government has ranked Alaskan cell phone carriers just under Fijian clam divers as potential threats to national security. Just get a two year contract and quit whining. If you're real nice to them, they'll give you a free phone when you sign up

RHD '98 XJ
RE 3.5", Bushwaker Flat Flares,
OR-Fab bumpers, PowerTrax locker,
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
post #56 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 AM
bigwrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
I eschew cell phone contracts for a variety of reasons - the main one of which is that I think the concept of having a contract to talk on the phone (or watch tv for that matter) is a bunch of bull****. So, I use prepaid. I bought my phone off the internet, got a local provider SIM card and off I went.

Well, that provider was recently bought out by AT&T, and I got notified that I had until X date to get an AT&T plan of some kind. OK - fine.

So this weekend I went into the usual place, to get a SIM card for a pay-as-you go plan. No contracts, no credit cards, just me and the cash plan. So, the guy wants to see an ID. I said "what for?" He said so I can set you up in the computer. I said you don't need to set anything up. I got my money, just give me a SIM card, that's all I need. He said something like, well, no I need to set you up in the computer. I said that it's bull****, I know it's bull**** because you've never had to do it before. Anyway - I ended up saying something about sucking and a body part and left, no SIM card.

I went to two other places - same deal. Same line of bull****. Same comment about a body part - left, no SIM card.

Today, I went to another place. Didn't even get to the ID card part because he said I would have to buy a new phone - that was the only way they could activate a new card. I said that's bull**** and I know that's bull**** - don't feed me a line of bull**** - just sell me the damn card. Anyway - ended up with the same comment about a body part and left, no SIM card.

Fifth place I went - told the guy what I wanted, he didn't give me any lines of bull**** at all (although he did charge me $20 instead of the $10 retail price). I got my stupid sim card and out the door I went.

Put it in my phone, activated it - all went just fine.

I hate it when retail morons tried to feed people a line of bull****.

At any rate, I have re-established "no paper trail" cell phone service (:

That is all (:
td
So do you sell weed or coke Mr Gribble?
post #57 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM
1 ton yj

2000 XJ Cherokee 

wtf is the big deal with being in the system? Are you a drug dealer or fugative or something and scared of The Man being able to find you? Did you make your tinfoil hat with the shiny side out or the dull side out?

I have AT&T and just pay it month by month. No contract, no free phone. All I did was walk into the local AT&T store and politely explain them I already had a phone and just wanted the $40 calling plan with text messaging and 5 megs of data transfer. I bought my phone from a friend who works in IT and unlocked it before putting my SIM in. I can cancel or change my plan at will without any fees or penalties.
post #58 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 AM
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

reading any of texasdogs posts just makes me mad

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #59 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
DShizzle
My daughter is SAXON

The bad thing with the pre-paid phones is that (they do not tell you this but) the sim card # is reported to Homeland security. You are investigated and monitored far more than a regular trackable customer. They talk about and make a big deal of discontinuing these pre-paid services so that the "who-dunnits" will keep on thinking they are not traceable and keep using them. Wich in turn makes them even more of a highprofile and monitored account. If the government did away with them all together it would be much more difficult to keep up with the criminals..............

"Political Correctness is a Doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".
post #60 of 69 Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 AM
erickpl

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If he pays taxes, he's on the grid regardless.

I have nothing to hide, so don't mind being on the grid. I DO have issues with unreasonable invasion of privacy. I see a phone (cell or landline) as a contract to provide services, just like electricity, water, gas, etc. I have GPS nav in my car, and had links to service advisors and notified in the event of a crash. So people are watching.

if you want to live off the grid, you may want to do the following:
1. Quit your job - no income = no income taxes
2. Go Green - dig a well, go solar or wind power, and get a bike
3. Cancel all insurances you have (home, car, health, etc)
4. Lose Internet connectivity - it's amazing what you can find with just an IP address and ISP log.
5. Don't go to any place that requires an enrollment.
6. Never leave the country or get a passport.
7. Use cash for everything. However, with no job, you are either doing something illegal or working a rather low-paying job.

I can understand stupid clerks. I've dealt with them and probably been considered one before in my life. But to go off on them doesn't accomplish anything productive. If you want something done correctly, you may HAVE to spend some of your time explaining the situation to management so THEY can take the time to do it for you. If policies changed, management needs to ensure their sales staff know the policy changes and it is consistent everywhere. If not, sales staff needs to be reminded about what they can and should be doing.

To the OP, so every time you get a SIM card you get a new number? How do your contacts get a hold of you every time you change a card?

-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.