Career Thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Career Thoughts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
cs1094
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Career Thoughts

A while back I got a degree in Forestry. Shortly after, the market fell out and I lost my job. I have worked in auto insurance ever since. I am ready to move on but realize I am not super competitive in the job market due to my very specific major. I cannot realistically go back to forestry as I would average about $32k per year. That is not feasible with a wife and family. I cannot get an interview right now because recruiters say even though I have some business experience, I need some sort of business/marketing/management education. I am looking for opinions. Could I go back and get something like an associates in business? Would that look ridiculous on a resume? What are options I have to bolster the resume? I am limited on funds and still paying student loans from the first go around but could be reimbursed up to $2k from my current employer for education toward a certificate of any type or degree. I am throwing it out on here for a few viewpoints outside of family and friends. Thanks in advance.

Unread 02-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1094 View Post
A while back I got a degree in Forestry. Shortly after, the market fell out and I lost my job. I have worked in auto insurance ever since. I am ready to move on but realize I am not super competitive in the job market due to my very specific major. I cannot realistically go back to forestry as I would average about $32k per year. That is not feasible with a wife and family. I cannot get an interview right now because recruiters say even though I have some business experience, I need some sort of business/marketing/management education. I am looking for opinions. Could I go back and get something like an associates in business? Would that look ridiculous on a resume? What are options I have to bolster the resume? I am limited on funds and still paying student loans from the first go around but could be reimbursed up to $2k from my current employer for education toward a certificate of any type or degree. I am throwing it out on here for a few viewpoints outside of family and friends. Thanks in advance.
Even a associates with experience is better than a bachelors with zero experience. A lot of employers like to see a degree of any kind and do train you for their specific job. I would use the current employers school program and see if you can qualify for student aid at the local community college. A lot of community schools offer shorter certificate programs as well just need to contact them about whats offered.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Cause
WHAT !!!!

You could try being a gigolo, that is if your wife isn't all narrow minded and up tight!!!!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gigolos

You could do some 'volunteer' work in an area of interest... find out IF you like it and could also lead to a job (with some experience), just sayin')....
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
nwiTJdave

Have you considered forestry fire fighter? Also, I've seen several forestry positions on usajobs.com that were gs 9 level. I don't know whether or not you would be qualified, but doesn't hurt to take a look. You may have to relocate though depending on where you live. I believe I spotted the ads in the Norfolk or Virginia Beach area.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!!! What a rock and a hard place for sure. Similar situation for myself though only with out a degree. Although you will all dis-own me, I have sold cars for a while now and HATE it. Long hours, never enough time to eat lunch and customers are about as loyal as an alley cat. I LOVE cars and have had some great clients buy from me in the past, but for the most part, customers are rude, mean, and intolerable. I have made good money for all the hard work in the past, and it beats the %$#@ out of the $700.00 a month I made from Uncle Sam to eat sand and take incoming rounds. Sure wish Honky Tonks paid for live music like they did back in the day. I sure love singing my songs.

I wish you luck, and if you REALLY love the forest, I recommend not giving up on it. I had a customer Saturday who purchased a car from me and she made a great career starting as a Federal Park ranger and later became a major player in the Department of the Interior for the United States. I do not think I would ever leave the park service though myself if I was ever there. I love our National and State parks. Good luck!!!

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You don't say how old you are? And do you already have a wife and children, or is that contemplated for the future? Are you dead set on remaining in CO?

Regardless, I think, if you an swing it, returning to school is probably a good idea. Do you already have an undergrad degree? If so, maybe go for a graduate degree. Law is generally a good bet to at least be employable, and generally for a decent salary. If not, then work toward whatever degree you an. BA? AA? Doesn't much matter what field you "major" in. I dropped out of high school, and years later took a GED and went to a community college. Then worked my way into a four year college. Then into grad school, then law school. Stay in school and get whatever degree(s) make sense to you.

Another approach, get a local, community college degree in something like paralegal studies. A paralegal is always employable. Around here, a good one, full time, in the City, can easily get $80k starting salary, and some make more than $100k. It may not sound appealing, but it's good money and the work is not that hard.

PM me if you want more info etc.

Mark
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #7
cs1094
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the input. Sorry if I was unclear in the original post. I have a BS in forestry but am finding not-forestry employers are not interested in it saying it is too specific and not business related. I am 30, have a wife and a kid.

wiTJdave, I woud love a GS9 but it would require a masters to be considered. Right now I qualify as a GS5/6. I qualified as a forest fire fighter, but they are making around $12-13/hr. Great for summer work in college, not so much for supporting a family.
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

WOW, forest fire fighters only make $13.00 an hour? What a tough job for so little money. That is almost as bad as a private going to war. This world is so backwards.

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
mason93
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any experience with accounting classes? I took some and it wasn't really for me, but its a good field to be in if you dont hate the work. I think my problem was I took my upper level class over the summer (3 days a week, 3 hr long classes) and I hated that. If I could go back I would have taken it in a normal 16 week class to give myself a better chance at the subject. You would probable have a better chance at getting a (higher paying) job with an associates in accounting than just business, then that would put you in a place to either finish the bachelors with a more comfortable salary or possibly find an employer to help you pay for the degree.

edit- with that said, I am currently a supply chain/logistics management major. It is a quickly growing field and is something worth looking into.
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Skilled trade. Get one. Then you wont have to compete with all the over-educated baristas out there.
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
cs1094
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seriously thanks for all of the advise.
Unread 02-25-2014, 03:31 AM   #12
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1094 View Post
Seriously thanks for all of the advise.
forest ff's don't make jack, then again neither do regular fire fighters usually (trust me, despite the pay that's what I'm going for). having a degree or 2 is always helpful, especially if their general. relocation is always an option (well may or may not be for you. but look at the area you live/cost of living vs what you are and can make. that may have you decide you should move.
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
Skilled trade. Get one. Then you wont have to compete with all the over-educated baristas out there.
This is a good suggestion.

Good pipefitters/welders/HVAC Mechanics/Installers are getting few and far between.
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ever thought of looking into powerplants? I've been in this field now for 10 years, and make great money. I'm on the salary side, so am involved with all the interviewing now-a-days. At least for our company for entry level helper positions ($25/hr) as long as you have a good mechincal aptitude, and can show good troubleshooting / thinking skills one has an advantage. Though if you don't have much job experience period it could be hard. I know when I'm looking through piles of resumes that is one of the first things I look at, mainly what kind of jobs.

I know some colleges offer two years courses, which is pretty much an intro to powerplant industry (in fact some powerplants sponsor these degrees).
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.