car speaker gurus - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > car speaker gurus

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Cap'n

car speaker gurus

Heres the delima. I have a 77 carpice class and it has am radio and one very small speaker mounted right in the middle of the dash board. I would like to have a more elaborate setup. How hard would it be to put four speakers, one in each corner and maby a woofer in the back? How much do you think this is going to cost if I do it myself? what if I take it to a shop?

cap'n

Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
97sahara

not hard at all. decent head--150-200; front and rear speakers (6x9s, 5.24's) under 50/ set. wiring would be easy--- its two wires to each speaker from the head, 12v constant and alt. to the head, antenna, etc. not a bad job.
97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
Cap'n

Thanks, now I kinda have a ballpark of what it will cost.

I'm pretty new to this so could you try to explain this to me. I know with woofers people put in amplifiers.what do these do?(If i'm right then they amplify the voltage and make the speakers produce a louder sound) are these needed one with the ohter speakers? thanks

cap'n
Unread 04-06-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
97sahara

Amplifiers boost wattage, not voltage---quality, not volume per se (ppl get that mixed up); most head units have a set (under 4.5V preouts for external amplifiers). If you just want decent sound, a standard (I prefer Alpine, myself) head unit will have enough power for 2 soundstages-- front and rear. I'd go with an Alpine 98 series head, boston acoustic 5.25" up front, and Boston 6x9" in back. If you want to add a subwoofer, 150-200watts from a mono alpine amp and kicker or alpine R sub (10" or 12") should be sufficient. I see no need to get a sub unless your crazy about sound. An apline 9813 head will give you 60 watts per channel, and ill tell you, thats plenty for good listening; it also reads mp3 cds. PM me with any more Q's-- I can make a wiring diagram and find you stuff if ya want. Where you located? I do installs....anywho. Good luck
Unread 04-07-2004, 08:33 PM   #5
Cap'n

Thanks for the help. So yo saying just one speaker in front and one in back? I figured i'd need more, because most cars have about 7 or so speakers. It would be helpful if you could show me some sites (preferably the same site) where I can find these speakers at. thanks

cap'n
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:22 AM   #6
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You need to worry more about the front soundstage then the back. An effective audio setup makes it feel like the band is right in front of you. Subwoofers are placed in the rear (and often fired rear) because the lower freq. waves will echo more effectively then higher frequency. If money isn't a concern, then by all means create dynamic front and rear stages. If you aren't too heavy into loud music though, 6" speakers powered by a quality head unit will be just fine. One last thing, do the install yourself! It's very simple to do and will save you a ton of money vs. a shop. Most of those guys are only there to make their paycheck at places like audio express and car-toys. If you want a quality precision install done, you're gonna have to go to a reputable shop....and that's gonna cost you. Feel free to post any questions you may have. I'm sure many people have done audio installs. I did a writeup on my install in my '91 explorer. I'd be glad to help you figure out any questions you have. Good luck!
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:25 AM   #7
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n
Thanks for the help. So yo saying just one speaker in front and one in back? I figured i'd need more, because most cars have about 7 or so speakers. It would be helpful if you could show me some sites (preferably the same site) where I can find these speakers at. thanks

cap'n
www.crutchfield.com
www.pioneerelectronics.com (my favorite head units)
www.explorerforum.com (they have an EXTENSIVE audio forum, one of the best I've seen)
www.bestbuy.com (reasonable prices on mid-range equipment. Look for their specials)
If you want really cheap stuff, check out the ebay seller, "sell2all" I've bought a bunch of stuff from them for friends on a budget, and while its not the best quality, I've never had a problem with products or service.
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 06:11 AM   #8
97sahara

When I talk about a soudnstage and speaker sizes, its generally 2 speakers per, unless you get a component set with a tweeter and midrange seperate.

for your car, id go, like i said with two (2) 5.25" up front, and (2) 6x9" in the back.
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not trying to start a war but amps do put out voltage. The input is DC but about is AC, hook a voltmeter to the speaker out on a amp and you'll read ac voltage. I think if you take ac volts squared divided by ohms it gives you the true output watts. Also look at rms rating and not peak power. RMS is the power that a amp or deck is capable of continously. I like Infinity for highs, but whatever you get go with a 2-way or 3-way speaker. checkout my webpage it has pics of my setup

Last edited by bonehead99; 04-08-2004 at 03:59 PM..
bonehead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #10
97sahara

ya, no doubt, but the power and quality you get from your amp to the speaker is from increased wattage. Increased output voltage is to carry better signal to the processor (amp)

I think we're on the same page.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.