Capstain winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Capstain winch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Capstain winch

Edit - Capstan winch. Will a mod change it!

I have one, and am about to sell it for 500 dollars. I was just doing a price check on it to see what these on worth.

I understand they are military, and somewhat rare now.

I personally have on one on an early CJ. I tried selling it and no one wants the jeep, but they all want the winch. Seriously 6 replies in a day.

Anyways, would it be worth it to hold on to it and sell it else where, or whats the deal? It does not have the gear box, but it does have the pto drivesahft.

ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A capstan is very useful as it can pull an unlimited distance. The line does not build up on the drum as with a winch. The line must be rope and not wire cable. Safety precautions must be observed similar to using a winch. With a capstan, as line is released, it can spring back and pull your hand into the drum...for this reason, NEVER wrap the line around your hand. A captan is typically used in the construction industry. It is ideal for pulling wire into conduits for a long distance. Parts for your missing gear box are available...do an online search. A large electrical contractor would probably love your Jeep if you got it all functional.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.