canceled my insurance? is this even legal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > canceled my insurance? is this even legal?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 01-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
signal34

canceled my insurance? is this even legal?

So today i went to pay my insurance for the jeep and i was informed my policy had been changed. I called my original agent for the policy and he went on to tell me he changed my policy to one where i can't have a claim for the past three years. I was in an accident two years ago so he had to cancel my policy completely. I then voiced my opinion (loudly) and hung up. I then proceeded to get clarification on the situation by (not so) calmly asking this "so let me get this straight... i pay you people money so that when i get into an accident i pay you more money and then without warning i have no insurance?" i then kindly thanked them for the policy change and left. How can it be legal for them to do this? i had to drive home in a freekin blizzard with no insurance. BTW i have been informed that Allstate is doing this to all "younger drivers" and i'll be 22 in march so i guess anyone under 24 with and accident in the last 3 yrs will simply get the rug pulled out from under them.

Unread 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sure doesnt sound legal..

Maybe if they informed you things would be different, but they didn't. If you wanted to persue it I bet you could be on the winning side of a lawsuit.

IMHO.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Legal, there is most likely a little clause that allows them to drop you for any reason they want to. Do you pay by 6 month stretch? If they changed the policy in the last 6 months then they can not insure you when the policy is up for renewal.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Better find some insurance or NYS will suspend your registration. Insurance companies have to report policy cancellations to the state of NY.

Insurance companies are the devil particularly to young drivers. What you don't want to do is get popped for driving on a suspended registration without insurance. Then you'll really be screwed.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_Brown View Post
Legal, there is most likely a little clause that allows them to drop you for any reason they want to.
Please explain how this is legal to NOT notify at the instance of cancellation?
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Please explain how this is legal to NOT notify at the instance of cancellation?
But they did. He was notified when he tried to renew his insurance for another 6 months. If he signed for June-December and paid, it expires on Jan x and that is when the changes affect him. When he goes to renew, he is notified that all young drivers must have a good driving record for 3 years prior and he cannot be insured by them any more.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Where are you in NY??? Most of my family, including I have been with State Farm for years. I can recomend a few good agents in the Rochester,Syracuse,Utica area. The gave me a great rate even in HS. And I have had a few accidents in the past.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
signal34

i pay on a monthly basis but they didn't inform me until the day of, or more like the minute of. They advised me to "be careful on the way home" and the guy made a rude comment about how it was really slippery without insurance.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't think they can drop you with no notice, no matter what. Generally with this kind of stuff, they can drop you for any reason they want (standard disclaimers apply), but they have to give 30 days notice, in writing. I'd be hard-pressed to believe they don't have to give at least 15 or 7 days notice, again, in writing.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
N7KME
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pemco dropped me without warning when I bought my YJ because I had a 17 year old driver at home on my policy. (my son) I told them that he did not drive the jeep, they said they didnt care, he was in the same household and as long as there was a person under the age of 25 on the policy and there was a jeep on the policy they would no longer insure us. I had called to add the jeep to the policy and thats when they notified me that they would be canceling me due to the combination of 17 year old and jeep. Got a different policy with Nationwide and have been with them ever since. And when I hit a deer on the way to work one morning, they covered the entire thing no questions asked. (especially when they saw all the hair and deer **** on the front of the car)
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7KME View Post
they notified me that they would be canceling me due to the combination of 17 year old and jeep.
That's just bizarre.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
signal34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Where are you in NY??? Most of my family, including I have been with State Farm for years. I can recomend a few good agents in the Rochester,Syracuse,Utica area. The gave me a great rate even in HS. And I have had a few accidents in the past.
From what i understand a lot of insurance companies are going to start doing this because they aren't making money. I don't see how they are not making money everybody needs insurance. it perplexes me. It seems to go like this.

Them-"give me ummmm $2000"
Me- "um yeah sure here you go"
2 yrs later...
Me- "um guys i need to file a claim"
Them- "oh thats gonna cost you"
Me- "well i already gave you $2000???"
Them- "we want more"
Me- "ok fine here take it and shut up"
Them- " ok thanks now you're canceled. have a nice drive home"

oh and to top all this off, i took my 2 day experienced rider motorcycle course last year and got an insurance reduction, but they never returned the paperwork. am i SOL? Also this was what my original agent said. "well i called your number and got no answer and got no call back"
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
signal34

also let me say that i am a very calm person, i am almost never rude at all to anyone. I know everyone is just doing there job but it caught me completely off guard. That said i did make a conscious decision to raise hell. I get along fine with the people at the office where i go to pay my insurance, heck one of the guys even has a built TJ. All the agents where all in one office discussing allstates apparent lack of money and i heard what they were talking about and they could hear what i said and i'm sure when i left i served as a topic in there debate. They didn't seem very pleased by the situation either. I am leaning towards nationwide because i know there motorcycle rates are absolutely unbeatable and i plan to transfer my bike from allstate as well.
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a novel idea, READ YOUR POLICY There is an entire section that outlines how a current policy can be non renewed or cancelled (there is a difference), and what notice is required by law. Your old policy can only be cancelled by you, or for non payment of premiums. If the company wants to cancel a current policy has has been in effect, they can non renew the policy, using giving 60 or more days notice in writing. This is usually referred to a legal notice of non renewal. Did you receive such notice, or did you sign a cancellation request for your old policy? On new policies, the company can terminate the coverage on a shorter notice during the early days of the policy for mis-statements, fraud, etc. Again, it all should be spelled out in the contract, and your State will have laws that govern the process. Also, did you request the change to a new policy, or is this something the company automatically did? It sounds like the two companies are not related to each other so you were applying for a new policy with a new company. Is this correct? Were you asked about your driving record? Each State has a Department of Insurance and there are legal and contractual obligations in reguards to giving you legal notice that your coverage will be terminated and it is usually required that a cause, or reason for the non renewal is listed. Your story is missing a lot of information. You can say what you want, but no insurance company or agent is going to risk their license to do business in the State by not following the law.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

You should have a state agency that is over the insurance company's. Give them a call. I had to do that once.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.