Can you get a Ticket for a offense a day later? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Can you get a Ticket for a offense a day later?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #16
whorunit1475

If you don't sign the ticket in Florida you go to jail. Kinds crazy but true.. I'd say try to fight it one more time and if you get the same result just pay the ticket and be done. What's more important in the long run??

whorunit1475 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #17
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

It wouldn't be worth a third try to fight it I would get the same result but I got nothing to lose fighting they can't do anything related to my license they can just tell me there is a hold on me graduating I'm all registered for classes next semester so I could technically fight this till May if I really wanted till graduation day, oh and that roadside justice is no joke I've heard stories like that! You really got to piss those guys off for them to pull a stunt like that totally unfair but some jerks on the road really deserve it Hah
wjgiants39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Your university can also apply tuition payments however they would like so they could use your tuition payment to pay off the parking ticket and then you still have $90 or whatever of tuition left and then they drop your classes for you because you didn't pay. That's how UF gets us to pay our parking tickets in a timely manner.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #19
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

UF drops your classes if you don't pay a measly ticket right away??? That's roughhhh I go to FDU in Jersey (hell of a lot smaller then UF) when it comes to these things usually showing the effort of appealing the matter gets you out of the ticket, for 4 years I received one parking ticket and that was my freshman year, this year I have 2 that add up to $150 and one mysterious ticket they said I got the day before I even came to school this semester for parking in a staff spot by one of the dorms.. its not like I changed my driving habits or anything these guys all of a sudden are looking at all the technicalities I had to argue with a guy to let me off the hook cause they had a parking spot colored half faculty and half student! Next thing I'll get a ticket for is too much mud on my jeep hehe
wjgiants39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
Dysan
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Let me clue you in.

A local State Trooper told me they have something called "Roadside Justice". Here is how it works:

a). You pull away after getting whatever ticket they gave you, and after you were rude and nasty.

b). They write up a second ticket for whatever, and submit it. FYI, there is no requirement that you sign a ticket - that's merely a courtesy to YOU.

c). That ticket, which you don't know about, gets processed. You never pay it since you never knew about it, and your license ends up being suspended for not paying the ticket.

d). Next time you get pulled over, you get arrested for driving on a suspended license and your car gets impounded.

e). You want to dispute that mystery ticket, long, long after the fact? Good luck.

Just FYI.

Unfortunately I have a problem with this state trooper. The problem is that if you don't have to sign the ticket and they just make up an infraction and submit it without you knowledge, then theoretically a state trooper would just have to pull one person over to get info then just repeatedly ticket him when the state trooper needs to write a ticket. And I believe you have to sign a ticket because that is proof that you were the one that performed the infraction. Because lets say you let someone else drive your vehicle and they were speeding, they would get the ticket and not you, the owner of the vehicle. I think this "Roadside Justice" is just to scare people, just like I would told that as long as you don't go 9 over the limit, even if you pass a state trooper, that they will leave you alone. Mind you I don't believe it but if a police officer is driving 5 under and I am doing at or just above the speed limit(1-3 miles over) I will pass him/her without worry, and I have done that on occasion.
Dysan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan View Post
Unfortunately I have a problem with this state trooper. The problem is that if you don't have to sign the ticket and they just make up an infraction and submit it without you knowledge, then theoretically a state trooper would just have to pull one person over to get info then just repeatedly ticket him when the state trooper needs to write a ticket.
Except that would get a little obvious, and when it came out that he gave you a ticket for a time and place where it is provably fraudulent - such as at the time your car was in the shop getting a brake job - it would be a huge issue for him.

Quote:
And I believe you have to sign a ticket because that is proof that you were the one that performed the infraction.
In some states, you are "required" to sign, but the officer can always put in "refused to sign" and leave it at that, but, if so inclined, he can also haul your *** to jail. In other states, you are not required to sign the ticket and having you do so is considered a courtesy to YOU.

Quote:
Because lets say you let someone else drive your vehicle and they were speeding, they would get the ticket and not you, the owner of the vehicle.
That's how it works with parking tickets, toll booth violations, red light cameras, etc.

Quote:
I think this "Roadside Justice" is just to scare people
He's a good friend, with no reason to lie to me about it, or try to scare me or whatever.

Quote:
just like I would told that as long as you don't go 9 over the limit, even if you pass a state trooper, that they will leave you alone.
FWIW, I once kept up behind a state trooper doing about 85-90 on the interstate - about 50 yards behind him, as the two of us passed everyone in sight (on a 65mph stretch). He didn't have his lights on or anything.

Quote:
Mind you I don't believe it but if a police officer is driving 5 under and I am doing at or just above the speed limit(1-3 miles over) I will pass him/her without worry, and I have done that on occasion.
Me too. Nothing wrong with passing a cop who is going under the SL.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #22
Pop907

Stony brook cops are the biggest joke in the world. Get real jobs then maybe people will respect you.
Pop907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
fatso
2005 WK 

Quote:
Let me clue you in.

A local State Trooper told me they have something called "Roadside Justice". Here is how it works:

a). You pull away after getting whatever ticket they gave you, and after you were rude and nasty.

b). They write up a second ticket for whatever, and submit it. FYI, there is no requirement that you sign a ticket - that's merely a courtesy to YOU.

c). That ticket, which you don't know about, gets processed. You never pay it since you never knew about it, and your license ends up being suspended for not paying the ticket.

d). Next time you get pulled over, you get arrested for driving on a suspended license and your car gets impounded.

e). You want to dispute that mystery ticket, long, long after the fact? Good luck.

Just FYI.
That sounds like something a little ***** would do. I can't believe he was proud enough of that tactic to share it with you. What a ****ing loser.
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #24
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

In many states, the signing of the ticket acknowledges you received it, and is your guarantee that you will show up in court. Don't sign, and they take you to jail to ensure that you show up in court. It isn't an acknowledgement that you are guilty of the crime.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
GP_Outfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorunit1475 View Post
If you don't sign the ticket in Florida you go to jail. Kinds crazy but true.. I'd say try to fight it one more time and if you get the same result just pay the ticket and be done. What's more important in the long run??
This is no longer true for citations other than criminal and a few other specified violations.
GP_Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Let me clue you in.

Just FYI.
I know officers put up with a lot of abuse from a lot of scumbags - and that's never cool - but this "roadside justice" crap is scumbag action too - and then they wonder why ordinary people are suspicious or confrontational...

The LEO is ostensibly always on the right side of the law, and is obligated to set a positive example to make every interaction as professional, smooth and safe for everyone as it can be. There's no need to do this sneaky behind the back "justice" and make the general public mistrust the guys who should be our heroes.
Unread 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Let me clue you in.

Just FYI.
I suspect somebody was pulling your leg. Not uncommon for officers to feed the rumour mill, i/e, urban legends.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.