Can you get a Ticket for a offense a day later? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Can you get a Ticket for a offense a day later?

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

Can you get a Ticket for a offense a day later?

Now the title sums this up but to be more detailed this is with a university public safety department not a real police department lol. "Allegedly" I drove through a stop sign on my campus I was approached by a young officer (looked new to his job only a few years older then me) when I parked my car on the other side of campus, he didnt even pull me over when I "allegedly" did it! anyway long story short I chit chatted with the guy about what happened, wasnt gonna argue cause I know it never goes anywhere and frankly dont remember If i made a complete stop or not anyway, he took down my information and said I should give you a ticket but I wont and let me off the hook. next morning I go out to my jeep to find a $100 ticket right on my window for the stop sign with the wrong time on the ticket as well as the comment "almost hit public safety vehicle" WTF!!!! I go to their department office and tell them my situation they all said appeal It right away and I did only to find out a month and a half later that I was rejected. I find this to be extremely unprofessional and my main 2 arguments is that It was not put at the right time and also It was given to me a day later! my question is can they do that? I worked public safety for my town as park security and never saw anything like that from my department, Pretty sure real police cant do that either.

wjgiants39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

First, university police are real police officers. Second, I'm sure it's similar in most states, but the statute of limitations on a ticket offense in Texas is two years. That means the officer has two years from the date of the offense to charge you with that offense.
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Depends on the school. Some have university police who are real police and can arrest you, some have safety people. I got a ticket at UCF in my dads car about 6 years ago. I asked what would happen if I didn't pay it. They said if I was found on UCF grounds I could be towed.

Well... My dad doesn't often make 5 hour drives to party at UCF so I threw it in the garbage. Lol
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
First, university police are real police officers. Second, I'm sure it's similar in most states, but the statute of limitations on a ticket offense in Texas is two years. That means the officer has two years from the date of the offense to charge you with that offense.
These officers are peace officers at best, they do not carry anything besides a flashlight and a book filled with tickets to give out... I have never heard of anything like the statue of limitations like Texas when it comes to tickets that's very interesting, Im from New York I never heard a thing like that then again im not one that gets in too much trouble with police so I don't read up on ticket policies lol
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

I believe that if you are a student of that school, and you agree to park on their property, that you agree to be bound by their rules.

You would need to take that up with campus safety or whoever runs the dept. If it doesn't go on your MVR, just pay it and be done with it.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonhomer
I believe that if you are a student of that school, and you agree to park on their property, that you agree to be bound by their rules.

You would need to take that up with campus safety or whoever runs the dept. If it doesn't go on your MVR, just pay it and be done with it.
Yes, as a student, they can attach it so that you won't get your diploma upon graduation or won't be able to transcripts to other schools till its paid.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino

Yes, as a student, they can attach it so that you won't get your diploma upon graduation or won't be able to transcripts to other schools till its paid.
This is true if it is only a campus security force.

If, however, they are police officers then the ticket will show up in a police search of your name like a normal ticket would.

It may be too late now but talk to the officer who pulled you over, it may help to get the ticket dropped.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

They are just a campus security force, not related to any county or state law enforcement in any way. I know getting technical with it that you do agree to obey their rules on campus and not paying will lead to me not being able to receive my diploma but the way they handled this in my eyes is unprofessional and almost abusing their power. If the guy was upfront with it and gave me the ticket when he talked to me I'd be fine with it but... the guy made up a part saying I almost hit a public safety vehicle on the comments and gave me a ticket a day later which I dont think you can do and it was after giving me a warning? the guy just showed hes gutless in doing his job.
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unprofessional or not, when the arbitrator reviews your case, is he going to side with the person who has the badge or the one who doesn't. I'm not saying it is right, but in the grand scheme of things is it worth it to fight this battle?
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
fatso
2005 WK 

Point is you got the ticket now you have to deal with it. Here in CT, at least at UCONN, the campus police are real police. They pull people over driving all the time. Even off campus, on side streets around the area. If he put the wrong time maybe he meant to put it on a different vehicle? If the time is wrong then it couldn't have been you, assuming he would have written the ticket when he saw the infraction. Either way they're wrong, but it'll hard for you to prove and easy for them to make excuses for. God Bless America.
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did he give you a written warning or just verbal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
chowner
2014 WK 

Ticket Nazis

I was once given a ticket in a 15 minute unloading zone approximately 1 minute after parking. Thankfully it was only around $15, but it was still $15 I didn't have at the time.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
JeepTB

I used to be a police officer in NY. Yes you can get a ticket a day later and if you are attending a SUNY school they are "real" police officers ie:The State University of New York at Stony Brook Police Department is comprised of sworn officers recognized by the State of New York. The University Police Department is an accredited law enforcement agency oriented to serve the needs of our campus community.

The mission of the Stony Brook University Police Department focuses on excellence, to provide leadership through innovation and creativity in a dynamic, diverse, and professional organization. We will strive to create a safe and secure environment by dedicating ourselves to raising the level of preparedness to meet the needs of today and the challenges of tomorrow. The Department strives to develop and maintain a positive relationship with all segments of the campus community to obtain their cooperation and support in providing successful law enforcement services and implementing beneficial community policing programs.

We will accomplish our mission by providing proactive service and encouraging community awareness in support of the overall mission of Stony Brook University.
JeepTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

JeepTB, Im right from the SB area actually but I go to school in Jersey I worked public safety in my town and dealt with many Suffolk PD officers during my time there. My department was allowed to give out county traffic tickets but looking at my schools website there is no indication of that anywhere but they do refer to certain NJ titles to confirm wording of tickets, based on what equipment they carry and my 4 years being here i'd assume its a private agency that cant do anything outside the schools boundaries. I have been rejected my appeal but am still willing to keep fighting the ticket (maybe its just my NY arrogance but who knows haha) the ticket is $100 and I play college lacrosse out here so its tough to juggle working, academics, as well as the practically full time job lacrosse can be so money is tight for me. the warning was verbal so its really the officers word against mine in that case but i'm really banking on the wrong time put on my ticket and the understanding of the arbitrator that I will eventually meet that I really wouldn't be going through all this work for a ticket if I really was in the wrong on this.
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Let me clue you in.

A local State Trooper told me they have something called "Roadside Justice". Here is how it works:

a). You pull away after getting whatever ticket they gave you, and after you were rude and nasty.

b). They write up a second ticket for whatever, and submit it. FYI, there is no requirement that you sign a ticket - that's merely a courtesy to YOU.

c). That ticket, which you don't know about, gets processed. You never pay it since you never knew about it, and your license ends up being suspended for not paying the ticket.

d). Next time you get pulled over, you get arrested for driving on a suspended license and your car gets impounded.

e). You want to dispute that mystery ticket, long, long after the fact? Good luck.

Just FYI.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.