Can one have too many hobbies or interests? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Can one have too many hobbies or interests?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
darwood112
1980 CJ5 

Can one have too many hobbies or interests?

I'm sitting here at the office, why I don't know, today is our last day until the 4th of January. I work for the university, so we close our offices from Christmas through the new year.

Anyway, with this extra time on my hands I was wondering; is it possible to have too many hobbies or interests?

Example: I have a farm with cattle, horses, and hay production and a family so that keeps me busy outside of the office, I also like to fly model airplanes, of course drive the Jeep and work on it, ride atvs, team rope, snow ski, hunt, play golf, shot guns and dabble in race cars.

I find myself at times thinking I should just try and focus on one or two hobbies and maybe get more involved in them, or just keep doing what I'm doing?

So, what do you guys think? Is it possible to have too many hobbies? I just don't know.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.

darwood112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, it's possible but only if you end up neglecting one or more of them.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Only if you run out of cash!
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
This I like, and I can agree with! Signature material there!
Quote:
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
Only if you run out of cash!
I was going to say that but you could have one hobby and blow all your money on it.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
I was going to say that but you could have one hobby and blow all your money on it.
If that is the case my wife and kids are my biggest hobby, along with eating and having a place to sleep.
Quote:
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ooops. That should have read "fun money".
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hunting, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, Jet-skiing, Water tubing, Shooting, My ATV, THE JEEP, Dirtbikes, Building things...Just to name a few

As long as you enjoy everything you do, there cant be too many hobbies
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
jeepcj258
1980 CJ5 

One can never have to many..... Generally it is a constraint of time and $$ that gets in the way.
jeepcj258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
Ooops. That should have read "fun money".
I am intriuged by this "fun money" you speak of. Where could an individual find some of this so called "fun money"? I assume this is something that only single men get kind of like ummmm the job from a woman that they do not like to do that sounds like low?
Quote:
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

Short answer, yes. A buddy of mine is into cars, Hot Wheels, slot cars, and model & diecast cars. On top of that, he owns his house, so he has to constantly spend time improving it.

He wants to build the model cars, but never has time. The Hot Wheels rarely get out of their cases, too.

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
darwood112
1980 CJ5 

I definately think it is a constraint of time more than anything. Always have things to do just not enough time to do it.
darwood112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
The Hot Wheels rarely get out of their cases, too.
Get out of the case to do what?

Play with?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.