Calling on Corvette Guys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Calling on Corvette Guys

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 07-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
ElDuderino762

Calling on Corvette Guys

I may be looking at doing a trade for a '80 Vette and was wondering about some of the common concerns with them. This one in particular has had the intake and carb removed, so I'll have no idea of what kind of shape the drivetrain is in. Body and interior looks in decent shape, but pictures are pictures. The car is 3 hrs away, so I am trying to do some homework ahead of time

80vette-1.jpg

ElDuderino762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Jeep Brian

If it doesn't run I would take that as the engine is in poor condition and the price must be adjusted.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Matt80cj
1980 CJ7 

Rear suspension is something u need to look at. My brother-in-law is a big vette guy and I remember he had to rebuild the rear in his 79.
Matt80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
vetteonr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As a Vette guy who owns a '80.....

I can tell you there are a few things to look out for. Really go under the car and check out the frame from front to back. Check for cracks that have been welded. If it's been abused, you can tell. As stated already, check out the rear suspension. Trailing arm bushings and bearings can be a problem. The front suspension is just like any other Chevy, easy and cheap to work on. Another thing that's problematic on these cars is the birdcage (the frame around the windshield). They tend to leak and get rusty. As far as the engine goes, you'll probably want to replace the anemic L48 anyway. I put a 383 stroker in mine and never looked back.
Unread 07-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
ElDuderino762

Yea I'm already just assuming the motor is junk. If I throw a carb and intake on it, and it runs, thats just a bonus. Thanks for the tips on the rear end. I keep a lookout for that. Are these cars body on frame, or unibody?
Unread 07-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
vetteonr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Body on frame.
Unread Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #7
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

A friend of mine had a 78 L48 and it was a turd, even with a blue printed and fresh rebuild, I had a Dart with a not so special 340 and it would run circles around that vette. I helped him rebuild the rear end and suspension, I think the rear diff was a Dana, smaller than a D44. The car was full of rattles, t-tops leaked even with all new seals, headlamp doors seemed problematic but overall.

Here's an interesting tidbit about performance vehicles in those years. The fastest american production vehicle in '78 was not the L82 vette, 6.6 T/A or Z28. It was a Dodge Truck, the Little Red Express.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #8
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

78 was the only vette i ever bought new and yes it was a dog--i have had 5 other vette's --watch for bird cage and frame rust--as said above--both can be bad
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #9
ElDuderino762

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm going to look at the car Sunday, so we'll see what happens. Deffinatly going to bring a jack to get up under it. Hopefully, being an NC car, rust wont be too bad of an issue. Does anyone know if the L48s or L82s are 4 bolt mains?
Unread Today, 11:59 AM   #10
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yes both 4 bolt as i remember--82 more HP --put the zz4 or zz383 in you will not be sorry--easy also-let us know what you find and do--
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.