Cable Television Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cable Television Problems

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
trekkindave
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cable Television Problems

Ive got a problem with my cable box that I was hoping someone could help me with..

I am using optimum online here on the island and to get all the channels it requires the use of a digital cable box. Everything was working fine for about two months and then all of a sudden the signal through the box started to cut out the channels and the picture would go "digital" and choppy.

In the troubleshooting process, i disconnected the cable input to the box, hooked it straight into the tv cable in, and got perfect picture and sound but limited channels.

I checked the cable, and it is connected properly, the cable has one small "chew" through it where the bunny rabbit we have got behind the tv and went to town, but its just through the plastic sheathing and not the other layers (i think)..

I replaced the box at the cable company and took it home, it worked great for one night but the sound was low.. this morning the sound didn't work at all.. I plugged back into the TV straight, and had sound, and great picture.

I replaced the connector on the coax and that didn't help.

Do you all think that I have another faulty box, or is that little "chew" in the cable causing me more trouble then i think.. I don't want to re-run the whole line, but will if i need to.

Any suggestions will be greatly accepted.

[COLOR="Blue"]Member #320 Blue Jeep Club[/COLOR]

2007 Wrangler Unlimited Steel Blue
Too Stock (FOR NOW)
trekkindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Post pictures of where the cable has been chewed.
Unread 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

It dosen't take much to damage coax cable to make a digital signal have probelms. If the cable is crushed or the dielectric is shaped incorrectly it can cause problems as well. I would replace that section of cable with a piece of RG6 cable. It should run you about 10-20 for a 20 foot section. Another solution if the cable is long enough would be splice that cut and use a quality connector and barrel. A quality connector is not the twist or push on type but a good crimp or compression one. If that dosen't work have them send a tech out to check your lines.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Ronron2112

if you replaced the connector make sure its high quality (NOT radio shack...) such as a good compression fitting. and you left no gouges or braids wrapped around the center conductor.

as far as the sound, it isnt really controlled by the condition of the cable, more of a fuction of the box/tv.

Two bad boxes can be very likely. It happens to me all the time. The repair centers dont really throughly inspect he equiment.

The thing that seems to me is to have your provider come out to check the signal to the box... it could be low. Cable direct TV's dont need the same signal that your box does. You can run a cable direct TV with as low as -25db. A digital box will cut out at around -10, -15db.

whos your provider? Also, with the "new" box, do you have any of the old symptoms, or just the new sound issue?
PROJECT RIG: 1996 XJ 2 Door. 4.0/AX15/np231/8.25/d30. 6-7" Mix and Match RE/TNT Long Arm Lift, ACOS Spacers. JCR Bumpers, Steering, Sliders. ZJ Rear Discs and 4.11's. Aussies Front and Rear. IN PROGRESS...
DAILY DRIVER: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. HEMI
SOLD:2001 Dakota 4.7, 2005 SRT4, 2000 XJ, 2004 Blazer ZR2
Ronron2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Dcomf

The "digital" and "choppy" you mention is called macroblocking. The box is receiving packets of information from the cable head-end and when some packets aren't received there's nothing to display and no audio is decoded and macroblocking results. Your signal strength has likely dropped as mentioned previously. If you have a Motorola box you can do a quick check of signal strength from the diagnostic screen and whether or not the box is losing lock.
Dcomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

why the hell do you keep your bunny behind the tv lol

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
trekkindave
2007 JK Wrangler 

lol the bunny has a habit of being a little bastard and trying to get anywhere he is blocked off of going to...

Im going to try the suggestions listed..
the connector is a high quality compression type as used by verizon technicians (courtesy of the father in law)

maybe I will try replacing the box again.

Somone mentioned the diagnostic screen... its a scientific atlanta box... does that have one?

[COLOR="Blue"]Member #320 Blue Jeep Club[/COLOR]

2007 Wrangler Unlimited Steel Blue
Too Stock (FOR NOW)
trekkindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

I don't really belive it will be your box. If you have a CHEW in the line, you are not only degrading the signal to your TV, but you are also allowing noise to enter the line which will (or can) effect customers around you. If there are cable modems in your area they are probably affected as well. Fix the chew. Like the others have said, use good ends, not the screw on or crimp on. Use a good compresion end. Thomas Betts or PCT.
Unread 08-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Its kinda funny most major companies use compresion at the home and most of the field while a lot of the video host places its all crimp fittings never understood that when I worked at AT&T. My dad works in a VHO and 95% of their fittings are crimped on but they are very expensive crimps.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

The idea in simple terms is to keep the coax perfectly
round all the way to the connection. The crimp end
does not do that. It will degrade the signal. Use
compression fittings.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.