Ca lien sale help!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Ca lien sale help!?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ca lien sale help!?

Hey guys how's everything going? I've got an older dr350 and it's been sitting for years. The owner of the bike has gone MIA and I don't know how to get this thing in my name! I've tried contacting him but with no luck. What's the best way to get this thing in my name or to get the owner to come pick this thing back up of he wants it back (was never paid for before he vanished!) I believe the back tags are 600 so is be willing I pay for them as the bike is in pretty great shape! I tried reading on the dmv site but ohhh boy that's confusing ha. So any help would be great!

Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

holding fees .

Been there and done that .

It's yours .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
holding fees . Been there and done that . It's yours .
How do I get the ball rolling on this? We have had it for over 5 years just sitting and it's time to do something with it before it rots away! What forums do I need first?
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainhop91 View Post
Hey guys how's everything going? I've got an older dr350 and it's been sitting for years. The owner of the bike has gone MIA and I don't know how to get this thing in my name! I've tried contacting him but with no luck. What's the best way to get this thing in my name or to get the owner to come pick this thing back up of he wants it back (was never paid for before he vanished!) I believe the back tags are 600 so is be willing I pay for them as the bike is in pretty great shape! I tried reading on the dmv site but ohhh boy that's confusing ha. So any help would be great!
Call the CA DMV and explain it to them. Their website sucks for any in depth or strange issues. Its more for getting forms and renewing stuff than any help.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

When I did it on a 59 Caddy, I went to the local magistrate and they made several flyer for me to put up which said that there was to be a auction on it so I could get what I was owed on it .

Nobody showed up for it and even if they did I was owed more than it was worth .

Trust me though, I wanted it badly .

A 1959 Cadilliac is a very pretty car .

What did you mean by " I believe the back tags are 600 so is be willing I pay for them as the bike is in pretty great shape! "

If you mean taxes I doubt you will have to pay them if you are claiming storage fees .
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Indy

You don't have to pay registration for the past years, only when you want to register it. Locally, and every place is different, you're looking at either the auction to get a sheriff's title or posting a bonded title. If you really want it, make sure the storage fee's are high enough that no-one will want to pay them.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why all the guessing? The information is available on the CA DMV website for the various situations and considering the value.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/faqliensale.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs%2Fbrochures/howto/htvr8.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs%2Fbrochures/howto/htvr7.htm

California is on its own planet. Any time title is transferred any past due registration and/or parking tickets must be paid; no exception if it's a lien sale.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
Why all the guessing? The information is available on the CA DMV website for the various situations and considering the value. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/faqliensale.htm http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs%2Fbrochures/howto/htvr8.htm http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs%2Fbrochures/howto/htvr7.htm California is on its own planet. Any time title is transferred any past due registration and/or parking tickets must be paid; no exception if it's a lien sale.
I read some of that, but after awhile I started thinking I was reading the wrong stuff. Kind of figured id be paying the back tags on it. It's only about 650 bucks. Seems like a long process for sure ha.
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

How did it end up at your place ?

Were you working on it or something ?

You said the owner, why is lien even involved here ?

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/lien
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My question here Trainhop, is it a lien that you had on it's sale or were you working on it or what ? How did it end up at your place ? http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/lien
I guess I may be confusing the issue ha. Pretty much what happened was my dad got the bike a few years back from an old co worker. He was buying the it from someone else when the guy just upped and moved away. Co worker couldn't get ahold of him after that so my dad ended up with the bike in interest of buying it himself.

Between all this mess no one has been contacted about it in years and it's been sitting outback covered up. It's in great shape and I'd like to get the title transferred in my name. Either that or the guy can come and get it. I've got his name off the prior registration but still haven't found a way to get ahold of him. I don't think he cares about it to much as when we checked the fees for back tags nothing came up reporting stolen.
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Can you get his full name and do a internet search for him ?

Have you checked FB to see if he or maybe his wife (if he is married ) are on it ?

Maybe DMV could find his addy from his drivers Lic. ?

I know CA does thinks way different than SC in most every way but I find it very hard to believe that you would have to pay anything to to get .

If you have stored it that long you are due compensation if you want it .
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Can you get his full name and do a internet search for him ? Have you checked FB to see if he or maybe his wife (if he is married ) are on it ? Maybe DMV could find his addy from his drivers Lic. ? I know CA does thinks way different than SC in most every way but I find it very hard to believe that you would have to pay anything to to get . If you have stored it that long you are due compensation if you want it .
I've got his full name off the old paper work. Tried to google him and Facebook but so many people popped up with his name. And California likes there money, someone is gonna have to pay haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.