Buying a registered domain name - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Buying a registered domain name

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Buying a registered domain name

Anyone ever done this? My friend is wanting to setup a website and has enlisted me to help. He has a name picked out but it's parked right now by godaddy.com They want something like $70 JUST to ask the owner what they want for the domain name.

Is there anyway to find the owner and make an offer?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You can try to look it up on the whois database site.
bigred33 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
jeepmansro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any website has whois data, and its public knowledge searchable by anyone,

Whois.net - Domain Names

search the domain you want and the owners info appears.
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ugh. I checked and it led here.

Domains by Proxy

So now I don't even know how to contact them.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
jeepmansro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sigh, it figures.

They are a domain whois blocking service basically. So the owner of the domain is also registered with them, and all they do in a nutshell, is cover up the real owners info so its not displayed for the world to see.

70$ really to find out who own it, seems like a waste, is there another domain like .biz, .org or .info that you could use
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmansro View Post
Sigh, it figures.

They are a domain whois blocking service basically. So the owner of the domain is also registered with them, and all they do in a nutshell, is cover up the real owners info so its not displayed for the world to see.

70$ really to find out who own it, seems like a waste, is there another domain like .biz, .org or .info that you could use
.net is available, although I know he prefers .com I'll try calling godaddy to see if they know anything. Afterall, when you visit the website they're using godaddy parking for their homepage. It bugs me how people buy up domain names they don't need or don't use.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
jeepmansro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

True that. If it is just a parked domain you might have a better chance of getting it, cause no ones probably using it, just having it for the namesake. But they kinda have you in a tight spot, its their fee or the highway.
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I found out the name expires in December and I can't get through to the owner unless I pay $70 up front for godaddy to get through to them, not including whatever they want for it. Blasted intarwebz!!1

Thanks jeepmansro and bigred33. I'll have to keep the whois thing in mind for later on. I should probably do that for our own websites. I had no idea you could pull up so much information on a person simply by plugging in their website.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 01-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
hoosier724
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm by far no expert in this but it was my understanding that you can't just own a domain name without having the intent to use it, ie you can't just hold it hostage.

Honk if you love Jesus...text while driving if you want to meet him!
hoosier724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
Indy

They're not holding it hostage, they've paid to register it and keep it current. Most businesses that will have a .com will purchase the other's to protect their image. Keeps people from hosting tubgirl pics on walmart.net etc. I park a new one when I have a new business idea, if I don't develop it in that year I usually let it go. But if I do want to develop it I want access to it.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.