Buying a M416 trailer...Need suggestions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Buying a M416 trailer...Need suggestions.

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
ridendirty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Buying a M416 trailer...Need suggestions.

I have been looking for a good military style trailer to do a build with. As of now, I have located two. Can any experts in this field tell me what they think of these. I.E. are either one of them worth rebuilding. Should I wait for something else to come along? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. They are the same price.

trailer #1

trailer #2

ridendirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
TMJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The second one looks like it is better condition plus it has the hand brake. How much are they asking?
31" BFG A/T
Cibies headlamps, plus 30 bulbs
other than that pretty much stock for now
TMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
wm69

How much are they?

g503 has a 1/4 ton military trailer forum.

Check for rust and if all else is equal, take the one with the brake. Rust is the make or break item to look for on these trailers. Both have the lunette and landing leg, so whichever one is in better shape as far as rust and dents go is the one to get. If they are about the same as far as rust and dents go, get the one with the brake mech on it.

Might want to see if one has better tires on it too.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
ridendirty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
How much are they?
$700.00 each
ridendirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
fun4wheelerguy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just remember they are over 50 years old and will need some work. You can still get parts and can custom modify they any way you want. I have one that the bed was missing when I got it. I paid $200.00 and have spent well over $800.00 on making it the way i want it. This can make a great project .......

$700.00 is a fair price for those trailers in the pictures. Very cool find !
[COLOR="Yellow"]Choices we make....Dictate the life we lead[/COLOR]

[SIZE="5"]"Molon Labe" - look it up ![/SIZE]
fun4wheelerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Those look like fun to sandblast.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridendirty View Post
$700.00 each
Given the condition I would pass, but it all depends on how easy/ hard they are to find in your area.

I paid $375 for mine, which had no rust-through (light surface rust all around), mismatched wheels, but good tires, bulldog coupler (lunette was gone) and a crank down wheel in place of the landing leg. The back had also been cut out and reattached with hinges to make a tailgate.

I wanted it to use, so those modifications were mostly good (would have liked the lunette), but obviously the trailer has very little collector value.

I do think you could find one several hundred dollars cheaper on G503 if you are patient.........

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.