Buying Ipod on Craigslist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Buying Ipod on Craigslist

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
bobjp

Buying Ipod on Craigslist

I want to buy an Ipod, but I don't want to spend the money for a new one. So, I often search Craigslist for used Ipods. I have come accross multiple ads from "wholesalers." Where do these peope get all these electronics to sell?

For instance, one person is listing an 8 gig 3rd generation Ipod Nano for $50. It is new in the box; it has never been opened. How does someone get a new, never used Ipod that isn't even in production anymore? He's local so I would be able to check out the Ipod in person, however since it is still wrapped, I would not be able to test it out.

I talked to the guy on the phone. He says he sells all sorts of electronics at wholesale, and he sounds legitimate.

Anyone ever bought from a wholesaler?

Unread 01-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing wholesale means stolen.
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
jsbarks
2006 KJ Liberty 

id meet up with them...and cash only
jsbarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
dmcanally

2011 JK Wrangler 

If it is stolen, it likely wouldn't work w/ itunes (at least the paid part)

I would imagine that older ipods that get rotated out of retail spaces/vending machines get sold to other avenues for cheap.
,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
dmcanally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcanally View Post
If it is stolen, it likely wouldn't work w/ itunes (at least the paid part)

I would imagine that older ipods that get rotated out of retail spaces/vending machines get sold to other avenues for cheap.
Why would it not work with itunes?
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

If he is a "wholesaler" who doesn't charge tax or give you a receipt, it is likely from a box that "fell off the truck". I wouldn't register something like that online either.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
pyro9862

With electronics unless you are buying some specialty equipment and know what you're doing you are better off buying new. I think I paid like $60 for my girlfriends Nano at Circuit City. For ten bucks you have some recourse if the thing stops working on you.

One possibility is that he is selling refurbished items.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look in local Pawn Shops they usually have good deals iPod Touch usually run around & 169 & up Others are usually less than $100 with some less than $75
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

You can get mp3 players for under 100$ at target and Best Buy that are easier to use than iPods. If you didn't have your heart set on an iPod specifically, check out what is local to you. I got a 4g little USB drive mp3 player for 50$. It holds as many songs as I need it to and if I step on it, I'm only out 50$.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
bobjp

From what I have seen, I like the Ipods the best. What is it about the other mp3 players that make them easier?
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

They make exact clone replicas in China. I mean EXACT clones. You wouldn't be able to tell them apart unless you put same models together and scrutinized every detail. Hence cheaper.
Some even come with extra features.
http://www.pmptoday.com/2007/09/22/i...lly-available/
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
bobjp

There's no way to tell at all? Not even by a part number?
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
From what I have seen, I like the Ipods the best. What is it about the other mp3 players that make them easier?
I've never owned an iPod, but with my Creative Zen Vision:M, I can sync up to any of my media catalog programs -- WMP, WinAmp, the Zen proprietary program, etc. -- but I'm not bound by that sync. I can just drag and drop (or remove) anything I want on my Zen without having to make sure its in an iTunes library and whatnot. The only advantage iPod has over any other player is the fact that there are more accessories available. Other than that, iPod is nothing special.
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have two ipods and two Sansa. The Sansa clip gets all the use while the ipods collect dust. The controls are easier, it's easier to load, no itunes to deal with and plus I got it from woot.com for about $20. Have a Zen V as well. Like that one but the battery stopped holding a charge fairly soon after I got it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Indy

The clones are pretty high end. I was looking at a set of bluetooth headphones the other day, 95% of the ones for sale on ebay are clones. The only real way to tell them apart is the originals come with a funky custom bag and the clones don't. But MP3 players are so cheap anymore, I don't think I'd spend more than $15 for one.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.