Buying a car with expired registration? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Buying a car with expired registration?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Buying a car with expired registration?

Here's my situation: I'm from PA and will be driving to VA this weekend to possibly buy a car from a private seller. Insurance is taken care of, but the cars registration is currently expired. How can I drive the car home? I have talked to so many Tag/title companies and insurance companies and no one can answer my question.

I want to take care of everything this weekend in one day and drive it home. If anyone can tell me for sure that there is some sort of grace period that allows me to drive the vehicle home with just a signed title, bill of sale and insurance that'd be great. Or at least tell me what I need to do. I don't want to make the drive twice if I don't absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I'm buying a 1987 300zx turbo

macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ask for an in transit tag, they did that for the guy that bought my trailer that lived in NY to be able to pull it without problems.
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
Go fast.
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The problem with the in transit tag is that you need to apply for it in person with a bill of sale and all of the dmv's close at noon saturday, not leaving enough time. =(

Could I get a pa temp tag? Would VA or MD leo's have a problem with that? I wish I knew someone with a car trailer and tow rig in the area...
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

If you bought the car and have a signed bill of sale thats normally enough. I would call your DMV and ask them directly what you should do to get the car home so you can register it with them. Make sure to tell them its a out of state car.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
codeclarified
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm sure this depends entirely on the states you're going through, but here's what happened to me:

A friend sold me his old Explorer, last registered in IL, we were both living in MA at the time. Plate had expired, car sat around awhile. I ended up having to move back to IL from MA. Figured with a title and fresh bill of sale in hand I could explain my way out of any stops to question it. I made it about 2 miles. Got stopped and my *** chewed out by a state trooper (who didn't have any response to the "Well what should I have done instead?" question), had my car towed (with all of my possessions inside), and was dropped at the next rest stop.

So I really have nothing to offer as far as help, but I would not recommend driving with no plate whatsoever - thinking back I'm thankful I didn't make it far at all, and wonder what would have happened if I was in the middle of New York or Ohio and had the same thing happen hundreds of miles from anyone I knew.
codeclarified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow that blows codeclarified, thanks for the story definitely. Now I guess I know that option out the window.

I though the people at AAA would be helpful, but they acted like I was from a different planet. They had zero suggestions and seemed to have never encountered this situation before which seems unlikely. The DMV told me to talk to my insurance agent and my insurance agent told me there is nothing she can do about it lol
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Depends on the state. I know here in NC, if you have the title, bill of sale and proof of insurance they'll let you go. They may give you some grief, but that's about it. And even if they cite you for bad tags, you can just take the new registration to the DA and they'll dismiss it.

Honestly, if you have the title in hand with a bill of sale and proof of insurance, you'll likely be let go without issue.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
reflex1
2014 FSJ Cherokee 

VA DMV are the people you should be talking with - but I would think (You know how that goes) with a proper bill of sale you would be good to go!
reflex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Transit tag, as mentioned, will get you back to PA. If your timing doesn't work out then a change in your schedule or a uhaul/trailer rental would be needed.
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
^^^ That's what I was thinking. Drive your Jeep down, throw it on a front end hauler and tow it back. Might not be a great way to go, but gots to do whatcha gots to do.
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When you say front end hauler do you mean a tow dolly? I'm leery about putting a rwd drive car on one of those. I hate pulling it backwards but don't feel like taking the drive shaft out lol

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Go fast.
And drive at night, with your lights off so they can't see you.........
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
And drive at night, with your lights off so they can't see you.........
Ha yea thanks guys..... lol
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have him renew the registration with the stipulation that you will return the plates asap, he can take them to the dmv for a refund. the quicker he does it the more he gets back.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.