Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bro trucks

82K views 762 replies 132 participants last post by  Itstime 
#1 ·
What is the attraction to them? I guess I don't get it.

The "boy racer" I kind of get, with a small "fast" car that gets decent mpg.

The "rally car" guys I understand because their cars usually have turbos and are AWD so they are good in the snow, and better on gas than SUVs.

Granted, I would never buy the above vehicles but I see why people might have them.

Bro trucks:

Expensive to buy.
Expensive to own and maintain.
Most who own them never use them as a truck. :confused:

There are a growing number of them around here. They are all huge lifted diesels, usually blacked out, with straight pipe exhausts, and the need to blow smoke in everyone's face. They also rarely obey traffic laws, and like to race each other. There is a problem around here with them driving over medians as well as the front lawns and landscaping of local businesses.

I like a diesel truck as much as the next guy (drove one for work in highschool), but I wouldn't buy one unless I needed it. I don't tow or plow, diesels are expensive to buy and fix, and diesel is more expensive than 93 octane gas in my area. :laugh:

My friend just bought a 2003 Duramax. Keep in mind the only thing he puts in the bed is beer cans, and he doesn't haul anything or tow. Its lifted, beat to hell, the wiring is crap on it, the engine stalls for no apparent reason, the transmission is slipping and needs a rebuild, and it has almost 200k miles. Oh and it was a former plow truck. He took out a loan to buy it, and thinks its awesome. This is the same guy who complained the gas mileage sucked in his PAID OFF 5.2L ZJ Grand Cherokee. :confused:

Am I missing something?

See less See more
#2 ·
jeepkid03 said:
Bro trucks:

Am I missing something?
It's a Bro Truck thing, if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.

Lol, seriously I feel ya. I live in Houston and they are everywhere. I work in construction yet most of the guys I work with (even other superintendents) have at most a 1/2 ton pickup or something small that gets decent mpg because they have to work for their check. All I can figure is it is guys with more money than sense. Hell, there is a lifted 3/4 Ram in my neighborhood on a huge lift with the owners name painted on all four rims. Immaculately clean white wheels with pink lettering, them country girls love their trucks too.

#4 ·
them country girls love their trucks
This, which is about the only reason to spend so much money for a 'truck'.

Having a truck that can go 0-60 in 2.5 seconds yet is lifted 12 inches with 40" boggers serves no purpose. You can't haul. You can't tow. You can't even get in the thing. I'd like to see someone shovel sand into and out of the bed of a truck like that.

#3 ·
It's just a trend that will die out in due time. Remember how there were almost no ricers before Fast amd the Furious came out?

The bro dozer trend more than likely comes from California since it's bro dozer capital back home, and naturally it's spreading. That's my theory on where it came from, I'm probably wrong.

But I stand by my statement that it's a trend. I'm already seeing less of them on the road in California. Prerunner trucks are the new thing in California, you'll probably start seeing more of those in a few years.

#7 ·
I just find it interesting he would buy one when he knows absolutely nothing about them, like a lot of other bro truck drivers. He has a programmer, and looked up a bunch about power mods and how to make it blow smoke, but doesn't understand how glow plugs work. Just like the guys who mod a 6.0 Powerstroke and use a programmer on it then wonder why it blew the head gasket. :laugh: I asked him about fuel additives for winter and plugging his truck in, since its stored outside. He gave me a confused look. :confused:

Almost every day now he asks me something different, and I always just think the same as the pic below:

:laugh:

#10 ·
Yeah buddy! 1800ft-lbs of **** you rolling down the interstate right there! That thing will take a truck well beyond 75mph, with 20 tons in the trailer. The radiator might not be having fun, but everything else is!

EDIT: ****in 40lbs of boost and ****...

#19 ·
I wonder how they define "offroad".

#20 ·
Gravel parking lot?
Possibly a dirt road.

Theres a decent amount of bro trucks around here. I find them highly annoying. 99% of them are squeaky clean underneath.
So, huge lift and M/Ts and a "Mud Life" or "Mud Freak" sticker on it and they don't even take it in the mud.

#22 ·
There is a guy that is a customer of mine that comes in often and he has a lifted 2500 HD. Nice wheels, nice lift, nice tires, exhaust, blacked out tail lights. He came in one day and was asking me about my jeep and I told him all the stuff I had done to it. and he said yeah, I have a pitbull chip, k&H air filter, turbo exhaust, and a 6" lift... I asked him what kind and he said it was custom...I started talking to him more about tire sizes and he knew that i knew about some stuff and he was trying to come up with some brands and he then told me that he just took his credit card up to some 4wd shop in TN and told them what he wanted.....
some trucks around here are nicely done and guys knows all about them, but most guys are tools and just like the fact that people stare at them, especially at the local cookout....

#23 ·
dont forget the stacks, gota have stacks or its only half bro, and the retards that think the black smoke is cool are complete morons all they are doing is wasting fuel. i have seen some gas bro trucks as well, one guy in a tundra trd with a brand new warn winch on a warn bumper and piaa lights, nothing was hooked up. i asked him why and he said he bought it cause it looks cool. i didnt know what to say i just thought to myself WOW.

#24 ·
There's a toolbag at my school that drives a jacked up 2500 on 37s. Asian guy that rocks out nothing but carhart and mossy oak because he thinks and I quote "it goes with how the truck looks". He's got twin CB antennas that aren't even hooked up.

I just can't stand seeing that ****.

#25 ·
I used to live in Abilene TX lots of bro truckin including sponsored bro trucks. Every gym and cheap insurance company has a company owned bro truck...haha

#26 ·
Now there is actually a guy around here that did his RAM 2500 right, and it looks nasty too. Don't know what kind of boost numbers he's running but he can spin the big 35" tires he's got all around, double stacks out the back, and I've seen it hauling some good weight too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.