Brake line fix using compression fittings. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Brake line fix using compression fittings.

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 09-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
glennv

Brake line fix using compression fittings.

My brake line rusted and was leaking like hell. I went to buy a new line and a union to replace the broken section. The parts store gave me the correct line and a compression fitting to join the new and old sections. The freaking package says do not use on automotive brake systems. WTF. Why would they give this to me?

ANyway, I used it because I need to get the car home. Two questions. Should I replace the fitting with flares and unions and how tight should I have torqued the compression fitting down?

"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
glennv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

replace it asap, probably good enough for an emergency "get it home and figure it out later" fix but if you need to stop quick the pressure likely could pop the line.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
edzakory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Brake lines use a double flare. You can get the tool as a loaner from AutoZone. You will also need a tubing cutter. Replace asap.
edzakory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
tom88xj

Compression fittings would probably be okay...probably. First off, they have to be made of stronger material than the brake line. That means stainless steel not brass! Then they must be properly installed. That's the area which disqualifies them in most state safety inspections because too many auto mechanics MIGHT not tighten or assemble them correctly. It's not that they are total idiots it's just that they lack the knowledge to analyze mechanical devices. That's best left to those with engineering training.

Compression fitting fail catastrophically because the lines aren't inserted fully or the ferule rings aren't compressed to design specs. This results in insufficient area of the line available to support the applied shear stress and the line extrudes out of the fitting. On the other hand, a flare fitting dumps a tensile load across the entire cross-sectional area of the line. So, using a flare fitting, averts the possibility of sudden separation of the union. Even if it should loosen, it will leak down before total failure giving the operator fair notice via the dashboard warning lights. It's idiot proof...to a degree.

As to accident liability, that would be an issue only if the compression fitting was discovered to be a contributory factor. Having a well-working compression fitting found on a vehicle would not imply liability but would subject the owner to a safety violation.
tom88xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replace it with a flare type union (Metal line will need to be flared with a "Double Flare Tool")
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
bobjp

I think this is a bad idea, and you should replace the entire brake line. If one part of the line was bad, there is a chance that there are other bad parts.

Also, I would not trust a compression fitting from a parts store; especially one that clearly has no faith in its own product. "Don't use on brakes"????? What other reason than for brake lines would a parts store sell a compression fitting? Maybe for a fuel line? That's just as bad of an idea.

Compression fittings are great in high pressure situations as long as they are quality made and rated for the job. The ones you have don't sound like they are.

Do as others have said by buying a complete brake line and renting the flaring tool.
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Indy

x2, it's been a while since I lost control of an angle grinder and had to replace a brake line. But it sure seems like it would a lot easier to swap the line than try and patch it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The issue is not the strength of the compression fitting. The issue is the line itself. Particularly on a cut line, the brake fluid will cause corrosion over time. The corrosion decreases the commpressive strength and physical diameter of the line. A compression fitting only retains its strength if the line it is on is absulutely stable. Once corrosion causes the line to weaken it will fail. Not if, when.

It will fail after it has been on there long enough for you to think it is working just fine and forget about it.

Change out the whole line.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
ecaps

This question usually opens up a can of worms. Most people say NO to compression fitting on brake lines. I would tend to agree if it a brass fitting, which is what most of the auto parts stores sell. You need to get a steel compression fitting for brake line.

I have used the stainless steel fittings on a few occassions where it was just to difficult to run a new line for one reason or another. Napa or a good auto parts store should carry them. Look for part 7305x3 (Eaton Weatherhead). I know of maintenance guys that use them in factories where the pressure is greater than in a vehicles braking system.

Stays crunchy ......even in milk
ecaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Arnt good compression fittings rated to more pressure then the line?
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think he has it figured out guys. It's been a few years...
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It isn't the fitting that is the problem. It is the eventual corrosion of the line causing the fitting to loosen. The fitting will be perfectly intact as it careens down the road hanging by the side of the brake line that did not corrode further, shrink a bit and then let go while you are descending a hill towards a bus full of orphaned infants and puppies.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Jeeper View Post
dammit.

I hate when that happens.

tales from the bard side
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thats the problem with Compression fittings on brake lines. If it blows off you won't be able to stop for like 4 years unless you run into something first!

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
tom88xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Jeeper View Post
But there will always be members looking for an answer to this issue. That's what archiving is all about.
tom88xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.