Bow season is right around the corner! - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Bow season is right around the corner!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #361
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
Oh I don't doubt that. They are getting more popular all the time. I would just prefer them to not be used in the regular bow season unless your handicapped. I do think as times change though they will be allowed. Here in Colorado we just tried last year to get lighted nocks allowed. (currently we are not allowed anything electronic on our bow or arrows)The traditional archers who are very influential in a group who is in turn very influential with our Division of Parks and Wildlife killed that issue. However the younger guys who are more into compounds almost got this through. As we get more younger people, who are more comfortable with the technological equipment and are further removed from the traditional stuff, I see crossbows being more likely to being allowed.
Very true, I'm still a young guy (33) but I can appreciate how my old man hunted (recurve only) but the newer generation of bow hunters, and even gun hunters don't seem to grasp the pride and heritage if you will, of how far the ''tools of our trade'' have come. Well, this time of the season it's tough killing em with anything lol It's late bow/muzzleloader season here in the southern zone of NY and the woods have been tore up for a while now. Hopefully I'll get to pull the trigger at least once more during the next few days before the season is over. Go Get Em guy's/gal's!

Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #362
dougiee
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERSLAYER94YJ
Very true, I'm still a young guy (33) but I can appreciate how my old man hunted (recurve only) but the newer generation of bow hunters, and even gun hunters don't seem to grasp the pride and heritage if you will, of how far the ''tools of our trade'' have come. Well, this time of the season it's tough killing em with anything lol It's late bow/muzzleloader season here in the southern zone of NY and the woods have been tore up for a while now. Hopefully I'll get to pull the trigger at least once more during the next few days before the season is over. Go Get Em guy's/gal's!
I'm only 17 and I still love my bow
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #363
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiee View Post
I'm only 17 and I still love my bow
Good deal, it really makes you appreciate hunting with the gun!
Nightcrew Member #093

Unread 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #364
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Well this is the end of what has been One amazing Hunting season. both Bow and Gun. For one I was able to Make a few Hunts with My Good Buddy Mr Dear Slayer ^^^^ , Well as a Single Parent to another hunter in the house, My boy who just turned 17, I will tell you this, I had to go out and buy another Freezer. that is correct. Filled almost every tag between Us. I will work on getting the pics up of my season and even one I have of Deer-slayers. But I will give a quick run down then get to my story. I started the bow season out early by arrowing a nice Doe on my first hunt of the season. Then I managed to harvest a beautiful Big 8 point which dressed out at 205lbs. not to bad for my New York area. this Boy had more fat on him then I had ever seen on a deer during my 30 years of being a hunter and always doing the Butchering. I was fortunate enough to finally win the Big Buck Contest at the gun club Deerslayer and I belong to. He has had the honor of that position a few times in seasons past. Well after those amazing Bow hunts. I took the time to put my Son on deer and manage to whiteness yet another Bow Harvest as a proud father.
I even took vacation for the last week of Bow I was sick as heck the entire time. I was lucky fill my tags early in the season. That took Us to Gun season. I had given up the Gun hunting for 15 years or more until 3 seasons ago. it was probably 20 years since I took a deer by gun until last year. I Picked it up again when my son turned 14 and was able to hunt . This was due in part to my love of bow hunting and hunting it so hard. Plus a NJ 6 day gun season was just ridiculous. Long story short, I am hooked after Saturdays hunt here in NY. I am officially loving gun season again. My Son and I were invited by my brother in law to hunt our last day with him across the Hudson river on some state land he had found. This is cool because we must use Shoot guns on my side of the river in the countys I normally hunt in. over there we get to use rifle. I wanted to use the rifle my buddy Deerslayer gave me as a gift a few years back. (Model 30 lever action shooting the 35 Remington round.) I know, Good buddy rite! And my son wanted to Put down his Ithaca deer slayer and try and sling some lead with his Savage 30:06. I have hunted this property before a few times. It is big land . I had walked for miles and not as much as a tail. Few and far between is what I would call that lands deer status. Another down side some might say is the fact that the antler restriction is in place there. Meaning the odds were really against us. No scrub bucks. Well we thought It would be time well spent either way. So we started out early and set my boy up in a chair blind. It was like a dream day. Sunrise comes and BANG. I knew it was good. someone got a shot off. sure enough over the radio. My son whispers. Doe down,Doe down. He said it was about 100yd shoot and it dropped. I know we were excited for him to down his first deer with a gun. But I told him to sit tight for an Hour or more so we could see if we had any more activity at our locations. About 5 min later he calls back and said. Dad Its a Buck. a nicer buck the his last years bow kill. this he observed via his rifle scope. Now we were really pumped. 45 min after sunrise and we decide to break stand and celebrate the harvest of a nice 6 pointer. That was such a good felling to share stuff like this with my Boy. By 10 am we have the deer hanging at my house and my son is done for the season. I was so happy, Proud and excited for Him. Well after we Hung the deer, My brother in Law and I were really pumped and not ready to call it a day. so we grabbed some grub and came up with a plan to head back out. at the start of this day and still at this point I felt that shooting a buck on the last day of the season on state land with antler restriction was like winning the Lotto. I was sure That was not going to happen again. I felt bad for my Bro in Law , had no kills this year. due in part to the time away from the woods my new Nephew claimed. He had no venison this year and Him hunting out here in NY from a Farm in the big Buck state of Iowa was seriously disappointing to him. looked like this season was going to be a wash for him. and I told him I would put him on deer too.. I want to push to get back out and play the Brown its down roll that I so rarely do.
He and I got back to the State hunting land at noon. Head back in about a mile or so then split up and decide I to hunt the edge of the low land (swamp).. I hiked back with my climber and set up in a place I had never been. My bro was several hundred yards away over some hills. I was unfamiliar with his area as well. at about 3 Pm. I hear that Crack of his AR followed by a scream over the radio. buck down , Then I hear another Bang, then another,. followed by a radio transmission . there is another buck do you want me to take him. I was like Nooooo. where is he. then He shoots again luck for me it was at his deer. Don't ask! Again he shouts out over the radio, He is coming your way. then another Bang. 5 seaconds pass and then I hear Bucky Buck booking threw the snow dusted crunchy leaves. I look back over the hill behind me and here He comes. I spot the bright white main Beams and knew it was on. He is now running down hill right to me. I had my scope set at 1.5x thank goodness . so I get a bead on him quick. Being the Avid bow hunter I am I think I need to stop him. MMaaaah.. and he stops. right behind a Hugh Oak tree. I was like damn! Sure enough he takes off in the same direction. directly towards my tree. Now I am standing on stand facing backwards towards the tree just to the right . Bang! I take what I thought would have been a good shot at this runner. He did not flinch or slow so I spin around about 300 deg and crack off another as he is just about to run past at about 5 yrds out from the base of my tree. Bang! Nothing, he just keeps going. Now he is running away and BANG! I get off yet another quick draw round. He's still keeps going like I was shooting blanks. He runs to some heavy cover at the edge of the swamp at about 80 yds and I see he stopped. I could not get a shot at this point. Now he is gone. All I can think is I missed. It would have been so amazing for all 3 of us to pull off legal buck kills on state land on the same day in the same woods . About this time my bro is down with his buck several hundred yards away. so I get down and I figure I will confirm my 3 misses. It was easy to find his tracks in the light snow cover. sure enough first shoot area nothing . second, nothing. third nothing. I continue walking to where I last saw him stop. I am now getting pretty disappointing in my ability to get off a good shot. all of a sudden I see what looks to be one drop of blood. I had to pick it up in the snow to confirm. I hit Him. No I am playing my scope sight picture over again in my head and I started to get excited. 10 yards later I see the start of a beautiful thin solid Red Line in the Snow. I knew at that point I liked the color. I get to where He stopped and see a leaf on the ground covered in bubble saturated blood. at that point I knew I scored. I call my bro and say we did it. At that point I hear something moving in the leaves to my right off the blood trail at about 40 yards. I was able to arrive when he took his last breath. That was my most rewarding/exciting day of hunting with My boy ever. and my bro in law of-course. I have doubled up with Deerslayer before with does. but never like this with the odds stacked against us. I shot a nice 6 pointer. no brow tines. My bro shot an even more impressive 8 pointer with a very beautiful rack. I would say his dear Had another year on mine and my sons. I am still pretty pumped up. And due to the nice cold spell. I still have two bucks hanging outside. Needless to say I have a lot of work ahead of me. I will post up Picks soon . By the way, It was my second shot that scored the hit/kill . That was the one shot I thought I would have missed. Thanks for letting me share that. I will post up the goods. Good luck Muzzle loading season. I am done for the Year.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #365
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Here are some of the Pics for my previous entry.

My Saturdays Gun Buck.

My Son Saturdays Gun Buck, His First Buck with Gun.

My Brother In Laws. Saturday Gun Buck.

Here are a few Pics of My Bow Buck from this year. 2013

sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #366
dougiee
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass
Here are some of the Pics for my previous entry.

My Saturdays Gun Buck.

My Son Saturdays Gun Buck, His First Buck with Gun.

My Brother In Laws. Saturday Gun Buck.

Here are a few Pics of My Bow Buck from this year. 2013
Congratulations those are all real nice bucks! And yes I would defiantly agree with you about the fat you were talking about my deer had soo much dam fat it was like 1 1/2 inches thick in some places. But congrats again on those nice deer it's still shotgun season here so I'm gonna try and get one more...but we haven't been seeing any on the trail camera...oh and I just found out my moms buying my dad his crossbow he's been wanting for Christmas so I'd love to see his reaction when he opens up his new bow...he didn't think he would be getting it because it costs $1000 but were going to pick it up tommorow. Even though I don't like em he's gonna love it especially because he's got a real bad back it will make it a lot easier for him.
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #367
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great share Mike (SADASS), I'm really glad Justin got his first with the gun and it turned out to be a Buck down day for everyone! I'll catch up with ya tonight, my wife is gonna be out with friends around 1930 so I'll plan on coming by right around then, also if ya get a chance post up my 6 pointer I killed this year with the new Encore muzzleloader. Thanks bud, talk to ya soon
Nightcrew Member #093

Unread 12-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #368
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiee View Post
Congratulations those are all real nice bucks! And yes I would defiantly agree with you about the fat you were talking about my deer had soo much dam fat it was like 1 1/2 inches thick in some places. But congrats again on those nice deer it's still shotgun season here so I'm gonna try and get one more...but we haven't been seeing any on the trail camera...oh and I just found out my moms buying my dad his crossbow he's been wanting for Christmas so I'd love to see his reaction when he opens up his new bow...he didn't think he would be getting it because it costs $1000 but were going to pick it up tommorow. Even though I don't like em he's gonna love it especially because he's got a real bad back it will make it a lot easier for him.
Sounds like he's gonna be super surprised!
Nightcrew Member #093

Unread 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #369
dougiee
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERSLAYER94YJ
Sounds like he's gonna be super surprised!
Got the bow the other day. Kinda a bad pic but he's gonna have a good Christmas lol he got that and my brother bought him a iPad and a bunch of other things can't wait to see his face.

image-4134091531.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.