Bow season is right around the corner! - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Bow season is right around the corner!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Reply
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #331
dougiee
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: , RI
Posts: 721
Not with the bow but just got this one today it only my third deer ever so I'm pretty excited.


image-1674145836.jpg

__________________
It's a jeep thing...you wouldn't understand :)
dougiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #332
DEERSLAYER94YJ
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiee View Post
Not with the bow but just got this one today it only my third deer ever so I'm pretty excited.


Attachment 827057
Awesome! Good job bud, always great harvesting a nice buck!
__________________
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #333
DEERSLAYER94YJ
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
Posts: 385
How's everyone else doing? Well, to be completely honest with y'all, I missed a nice 8 last week, not once, but twice! I'm no expert by any means however, I'm not accustomed to missing, and he even gave me a follow up shot, but still missed lol Well needless to say I was heart broken but I am thankful he's still alive and I didn't wound him. Since I just got married I can finally hunt a bit more now then before when my wife and I were planning our day, comes at a great time since gun season opens this sat. Hope everyone is staying safe and enjoying the woods! I'll check back soon, hopefully gun season produces a couple big guys for us all! Go Get Em!
__________________
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #334
dougiee
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: , RI
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERSLAYER94YJ
How's everyone else doing? Well, to be completely honest with y'all, I missed a nice 8 last week, not once, but twice! I'm no expert by any means however, I'm not accustomed to missing, and he even gave me a follow up shot, but still missed lol Well needless to say I was heart broken but I am thankful he's still alive and I didn't wound him. Since I just got married I can finally hunt a bit more now then before when my wife and I were planning our day, comes at a great time since gun season opens this sat. Hope everyone is staying safe and enjoying the woods! I'll check back soon, hopefully gun season produces a couple big guys for us all! Go Get Em!
Yea I'll be honest also that deer they I got with the gun I missed with the bow, and it ran to my dads stand he he also missed...but I'm glad I still got him
__________________
It's a jeep thing...you wouldn't understand :)
dougiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #335
DEERSLAYER94YJ
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiee View Post
Yea I'll be honest also that deer they I got with the gun I missed with the bow, and it ran to my dads stand he he also missed...but I'm glad I still got him
LOL glad it worked out for ya's, man it's tough missing them! Well, opening weekend of gun I didnt see anything, I go up north and hunt my buddies mtn. every opening weekend, then came home and have ben letting does walk, still havent seen any horns with the gun. This year I finally got my Thompson Center Encore prohunter, so thats what I've been using instead of the 870, I really enjoy black pouder, plus 200 yards is nothing for my or really any inline muzzleloader to reach out to. Well folks, keep posting up bow/gun kills, hopefully I'll have one of my own here shortly. Go Get Em!
__________________
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #336
MIjeep86
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Monroe, MI
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERSLAYER94YJ
LOL glad it worked out for ya's, man it's tough missing them! Well, opening weekend of gun I didnt see anything, I go up north and hunt my buddies mtn. every opening weekend, then came home and have ben letting does walk, still havent seen any horns with the gun. This year I finally got my Thompson Center Encore prohunter, so thats what I've been using instead of the 870, I really enjoy black pouder, plus 200 yards is nothing for my or really any inline muzzleloader to reach out to. Well folks, keep posting up bow/gun kills, hopefully I'll have one of my own here shortly. Go Get Em!
How do you like the pro hunter? I have been eyeballing it for awhile. What optic do you have?that is if you have one.
MIjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #337
DEERSLAYER94YJ
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
How do you like the pro hunter? I have been eyeballing it for awhile. What optic do you have?that is if you have one.
I've wanted this M.L. for 10 years since the Encore initially came out. Since then, Thompson has really tweeked it by coming out with the Prohunter. This is by far my favority Muzzleloader!. I previously had, and still have a CVA Optima that put Bucks down for 10 years however, the barrel is pretty much shot with horrid corrosion so I retired it. I actually just killed my first deer this past Sat. morning at 85 yards with the new Prohunter, decent 6ptr. I was honestly surprised how accurate it really is. It took a while for me to figure out a good powder and sabot in my CVA years ago but once I found it I stuck with it. I found that 2 777 pellets, (100gr), 777 209 primers and a 295gr powerbelt (hollow point) shot great groups at 100 yards, so last week when I zeroed my new Prohunter I tried the same exact charge and sabot and shot lights out at 100, nearly one ragged hole with cleaning in between each shot, then running a primer through it to dry up any moisture. It's really an investment if you think about it. I wanted to go with the Nikon Omega however, I didn't have the coin after I bought the gun, the base, and Burris Z-rings, so I went with the best of the low end glass, Bushnell Banner 3-9 x40, I own 5 of them and they all have stayed clear, and bright. Hope this helps bud, I'm looking forward to buying a couple centerfire barrels down the line!
__________________
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #338
MIjeep86
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Monroe, MI
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERSLAYER94YJ
I've wanted this M.L. for 10 years since the Encore initially came out. Since then, Thompson has really tweeked it by coming out with the Prohunter. This is by far my favority Muzzleloader!. I previously had, and still have a CVA Optima that put Bucks down for 10 years however, the barrel is pretty much shot with horrid corrosion so I retired it. I actually just killed my first deer this past Sat. morning at 85 yards with the new Prohunter, decent 6ptr. I was honestly surprised how accurate it really is. It took a while for me to figure out a good powder and sabot in my CVA years ago but once I found it I stuck with it. I found that 2 777 pellets, (100gr), 777 209 primers and a 295gr powerbelt (hollow point) shot great groups at 100 yards, so last week when I zeroed my new Prohunter I tried the same exact charge and sabot and shot lights out at 100, nearly one ragged hole with cleaning in between each shot, then running a primer through it to dry up any moisture. It's really an investment if you think about it. I wanted to go with the Nikon Omega however, I didn't have the coin after I bought the gun, the base, and Burris Z-rings, so I went with the best of the low end glass, Bushnell Banner 3-9 x40, I own 5 of them and they all have stayed clear, and bright. Hope this helps bud, I'm looking forward to buying a couple centerfire barrels down the line!
That's a great review. I'm ready to pull the trigger. But I'm having a hard time finding a pro hunter xt. All I can find is the fx model and I can't switch barrels on the fx. I doubt I'll be able to find one before muzzleloader is over in michigan. Thanks for the feedback though.
MIjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #339
DEERSLAYER94YJ
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
That's a great review. I'm ready to pull the trigger. But I'm having a hard time finding a pro hunter xt. All I can find is the fx model and I can't switch barrels on the fx. I doubt I'll be able to find one before muzzleloader is over in michigan. Thanks for the feedback though.
No prob, yeah the xt is the way to go for sure, seems everything Thompson makes for that model is spot on, good luck bud, you won't be dissapointed! Go Get Em!
__________________
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #340
dougiee
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: , RI
Posts: 721
My dad was just walking in the woods lol like 20 feet from his tuck and saw a buck and got em with the muzzleloader.
__________________
It's a jeep thing...you wouldn't understand :)
dougiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #341
cojab
Senior Member
 
cojab's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 920
Great season going on here so far. First a good antelope that I posted earlier and today I filled my deer tag.
2013deer2.jpg

cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #342
TedderX_
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chatsworth, GA
Posts: 1,872
Always been jealous of this thread.

I'd be jealous of a muzzleloader thread too if we had one.
__________________
-Tedder

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #343
Kuntryboy816
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newark, Dela"where"
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab
Great season going on here so far. First a good antelope that I posted earlier and today I filled my deer tag.
Holy crap! Muley? Nice take none-the-less!
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing! -E. Burke
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #344
Kuntryboy816
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newark, Dela"where"
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX_
Always been jealous of this thread.

I'd be jealous of a muzzleloader thread too if we had one.
Don't be jealous! Get on board!!
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing! -E. Burke
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #345
cojab
Senior Member
 
cojab's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 920
I agree, get onboard. I've been hunting for years but didn't do great until I started taking it seriously. Then I switched to a bow, started working part time in a bow shop (that's how I pay for my jeep upgrades and hunting) and have been loving the results ever since. I did do muzzle loading last year for elk. Here's the results from that hunt. I've taken some good horn the last few years but to be honest I really do it more because I love the hunt and for the meat. I cant remember the last time I bought burger or steaks from the store to feed my family.
elk1.jpg

elk3.jpg

elk2.jpg

cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.