Bow season is right around the corner! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Bow season is right around the corner!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bow season is right around the corner!

Thats right, Sat. 17 Oct. opens Bow season here in the southern zone of NY. My favorite time of year without question! Any other Bow hunters out there??

Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No hunting here. But I have a compound bow I'll play around with (target practice) now and then during the summer.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's always a great time, I find it very relaxing myself.
Nightcrew Member #093

Unread 10-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
yjJeff
1991 YJ Wrangler 

bow season allready opened up in parts of maine... my buddy got one the other day. My roommate got a moose permit, and she's out today hunting.
yjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

^^ SHE is BOW hunting for MOOSE!!! That is awesome on SO many levels!!!
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
yjJeff
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan318 View Post
^^ SHE is BOW hunting for MOOSE!!! That is awesome on SO many levels!!!
oh no, sorry about the mixup. She's using a 30-06... no bow there. I just added the part about the moose....
yjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's still great!! I would like to go on an Elk hunt with the Bow sometime down the road, but the real deal with a pack horse and all my own gear.
Nightcrew Member #093

Unread 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just got home from bow hunting at my farm, had a 12 pointer, with about an 18 inch spread come in at 55 yards but didnt take shot, it would have been like threading a baseball bat through a wicker basket. Oh, and bow season here in my part of VA started on September 5th
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used to but can't this year because of college. I also used a crossbow so it wasn't really bowhunting.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
THISISWEIRD

Starts Saturday here in WV too. Can't wait. Although, I'm less excited now since my trail cam images show a bunch of does and nothing else.
THISISWEIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERSLAYER94YJ View Post
Thats right, Sat. 17 Oct. opens Bow season here in the southern zone of NY. My favorite time of year without question! Any other Bow hunters out there??
We need to plan a hunt together. I feel like this Saturday is the most eagerly awaited time of the year for me. Bow season , finally
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
No hunting here. But I have a compound bow I'll play around with (target practice) now and then during the summer.
No hunting here, either - but many years ago a buddy got me interested in target shooting and I picked up a Pearson 32 lb recurve, which lead to one of my favorite stories.

Balduck Park near Detroit had an outdoor range at one time, with bales set up at 20 yards. Nothing for a compound, of course, but a nice stretch for a 32 pounder.

Anyhoo, I took the recurve out to Balduck and had no targets in the trunk. I did a quick survey of the area and found a discarded paper cup - not a large coffee cup, one of the small ones out of the coin operated machine. I wedged it into a hay bale, walked back the 20 yards and proceeded to drop six arrows, one after another, into the bottom of that small coffee cup. Outdoors, with a cross wind. I've never shot like that in my life - before or since. After three shots the fella next to me stopped shooting to watch, and there was a small group of spectators by the time I dropped in the final arrow.

I retrieved the arrows, unstrung the bow, and started packing it away.

The guy next to me said "You're done shooting already?".

I said "Yeah, I was just checking the sights..." I bloody well knew that seventh arrow was going to end up in Cleveland or some such.

All I heard when walking back to the car was "Do you believe that guy did that!!!" .

Sometimes it pays to quit while you're ahead.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My Dad only hunted with a recurve and brought down a bunch of nice Buck's with it. I'm still young but one season soon I too will hang up my compound bow and go back to the basics like my old man. Then and only then will I appreciate the difference.
Nightcrew Member #093

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
rickm8
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, bow's, so you can make the animal suffer a bit more and not kill it as fast as shooting it? I better get me one!

I'm just kidding though, I started playing big buck hunter on 360 from cabelas, it makes me want to get a rifle and do some work...
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY #362
rickm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

a rifle in NJ! sounds like alot of hoops to jump through to me, good luck with the game though lol
Nightcrew Member #093

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.