JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   Bow season is right around the corner! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/bow-season-right-around-corner-877316/)

DEERSLAYER94YJ 10-12-2009 04:10 AM

Bow season is right around the corner!

Thats right, Sat. 17 Oct. opens Bow season here in the southern zone of NY. My favorite time of year without question! Any other Bow hunters out there??

bman9089 10-12-2009 04:12 AM

No hunting here. But I have a compound bow I'll play around with (target practice) now and then during the summer. :)

DEERSLAYER94YJ 10-12-2009 04:16 AM

It's always a great time, I find it very relaxing myself.

yjJeff 10-12-2009 08:26 AM

bow season allready opened up in parts of maine... my buddy got one the other day. My roommate got a moose permit, and she's out today hunting.

BRad704 10-12-2009 09:19 AM

^^ SHE is BOW hunting for MOOSE!!! That is awesome on SO many levels!!! :thumbsup:

yjJeff 10-12-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan318 (Post 8088637)
^^ SHE is BOW hunting for MOOSE!!! That is awesome on SO many levels!!! :thumbsup:

oh no, sorry about the mixup. She's using a 30-06... :rofl: no bow there. I just added the part about the moose....

DEERSLAYER94YJ 10-12-2009 05:37 PM

That's still great!! I would like to go on an Elk hunt with the Bow sometime down the road, but the real deal with a pack horse and all my own gear.

NoVaHunter 10-12-2009 05:44 PM

I just got home from bow hunting at my farm, had a 12 pointer, with about an 18 inch spread come in at 55 yards but didnt take shot, it would have been like threading a baseball bat through a wicker basket. Oh, and bow season here in my part of VA started on September 5th :D

JFranko 10-12-2009 06:25 PM

I used to but can't this year because of college. I also used a crossbow so it wasn't really bowhunting.

THISISWEIRD 10-12-2009 07:03 PM

Starts Saturday here in WV too. Can't wait. Although, I'm less excited now since my trail cam images show a bunch of does and nothing else.

sadass 10-12-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEERSLAYER94YJ (Post 8088115)
Thats right, Sat. 17 Oct. opens Bow season here in the southern zone of NY. My favorite time of year without question! Any other Bow hunters out there??

We need to plan a hunt together. I feel like this Saturday is the most eagerly awaited time of the year for me. Bow season , finally :thumbsup:

FmrVette 10-12-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bman9089 (Post 8088117)
No hunting here. But I have a compound bow I'll play around with (target practice) now and then during the summer. :)

No hunting here, either - but many years ago a buddy got me interested in target shooting and I picked up a Pearson 32 lb recurve, which lead to one of my favorite stories.

Balduck Park near Detroit had an outdoor range at one time, with bales set up at 20 yards. Nothing for a compound, of course, but a nice stretch for a 32 pounder.

Anyhoo, I took the recurve out to Balduck and had no targets in the trunk. I did a quick survey of the area and found a discarded paper cup - not a large coffee cup, one of the small ones out of the coin operated machine. I wedged it into a hay bale, walked back the 20 yards and proceeded to drop six arrows, one after another, into the bottom of that small coffee cup. Outdoors, with a cross wind. I've never shot like that in my life - before or since. After three shots the fella next to me stopped shooting to watch, and there was a small group of spectators by the time I dropped in the final arrow.

I retrieved the arrows, unstrung the bow, and started packing it away.

The guy next to me said "You're done shooting already?".

I said "Yeah, I was just checking the sights..." :rofl: I bloody well knew that seventh arrow was going to end up in Cleveland or some such.

All I heard when walking back to the car was "Do you believe that guy did that!!!" :laugh:.

Sometimes it pays to quit while you're ahead.

DEERSLAYER94YJ 10-12-2009 11:34 PM

My Dad only hunted with a recurve and brought down a bunch of nice Buck's with it. I'm still young but one season soon I too will hang up my compound bow and go back to the basics like my old man. Then and only then will I appreciate the difference.

rickm8 10-12-2009 11:43 PM

Oh, bow's, so you can make the animal suffer a bit more and not kill it as fast as shooting it? I better get me one!

I'm just kidding though, I started playing big buck hunter on 360 from cabelas, it makes me want to get a rifle and do some work...

DEERSLAYER94YJ 10-13-2009 12:03 AM

a rifle in NJ! sounds like alot of hoops to jump through to me, good luck with the game though lol

The time now is 07:47 PM.