Boulder CO, Jeep Offroad training? -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Boulder CO, Jeep Offroad training?

Hi, So I've finally bought a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and love it on the road, but have never done any real 4 wheeling off road. Usually I would just go out and try and figure everything out myself - but my wife would like to do it as well and she likes to be told how and what to do - and I could probably use a little of that myself. Are there any good weekend courses for complete beginners around Boulder Colorado? I've tried googling on this and didn't find much so any advice will be taken on board thankfully.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 AM
1999 TJ Wrangler 
Any of the forest service roads near Nederland in the area are pretty easy to learn on, any given weekend there's a bunch of hippies up there in Subarus so if they can figure it out I'm sure you will do just fine
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 AM
JF Admin
1987 XJ Cherokee 
This is exactly what local jeep clubs are all about.
It looks like the Colorado Forum Section is pretty active here.
Maybe check in with the Colorado Jeep Club and see when their next outing is.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

COTY 2009

post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Thanks, appreciate the info and will follow up on it.... I guess if I used to drive tractors around in the fields this can't be a millon miles away :-)
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Things to learn.

You can't go as far as you think in 4wd. Open diffs get you stuck sooner than later when things get bad you're actually in 2wd and when they get worse you're in 0wd. But you'll likely be stuck close enough to get help and not die in the woods. A locker will let you get even further away from help before you get stuck. 2 lockers will usually let you get REALLY far away from help. Then you'll die in the woods far enough away from civilization that you won't stink up the place.

Good recovery gear will help prevent that^ from happening.

But having at least 1 other rig with you to pull your fat out of the fire is the best course of action. I've been stuck, alone, in the middle of nowhere when my gear failed. Not a good feeling. Worst case the coyotes find you, best case you have 1 heck of a really hard day and lose all your hunting time.

A 10 foot lift will net you exactly 0 inches of extra ground clearance. The only way to get clearance is to go with larger tires. An increase in 3" tire diameter will net you 1.5" ground clearance. You can get bigger tires by either a lift or by cutting/massaging some metal.

The higher you go, the higher your center of balance goes, the more prone to tipping you are.

But... You're not as tippy as you feel. You'll keep all 4 on the ground on sidehills and steep incline/decline way longer than you think you will. If you're looking out your windshield and see blue/brown/blue/brown/blue/brown... you went too far. Don't go as far next time.

Your sport cage is not a roll bar. Good cages save lives. Bad cages make a nifty place to mount extra lights.

You mpg will suck, don't ask how to improve it. Stand outside holding a full sheet of plywood on a windy day. That's why.

If you go to bigger/heavier tires and don't regear your mpg will get worse and your jeep will feel like it's missing a couple gears. Low will vanish and your high gear will be useless. Physics.

Nobody waves at anyone. It was a joke in the 70's and it should have stayed there. Want to annoy a biker? Go up to him and ask his girlfriend to show you the back of her head so you can decide if you know her or not. Want to annoy a jeeper? Go on GD and complain that no-one waves at you.

I've wheeled through boulder area before. It's pretty. Remember that water crossings are fun. Water crossings without properly sealed axles results in spending time in a junkyard looking for a new axle.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2016, 02:26 PM
2004 TJ Wrangler 
Bill Burke's 4-Wheeling America
Grand Junction, Colorado 81501
He teaches all about four wheeling. Based in Colorado. Google it. He takes groups of people out into the wilderness for multiple days to camp and teach skills. Everyone speaks highly of him.

Sky comes standard on all Wranglers
"It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
Pavement ends and I begin/ Jeep gives new meaning to Rock'n'Roll!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-30-2016, 01:42 PM
1997 TJ Wrangler 
I am a member of the Trail Ridge Runners in Longmont. Right now most of the group is at all-4-fun in Empire, Check out the website I linked to and if you find it interesting we meet the 2nd Friday of the Month. Unfortunately the motor in my TJ died so I cant go anywhere right now.

Laddie Hanus

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep) 4.7 HO rebuilt 9/2016
post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-2016, 02:04 PM
2000 XJ Cherokee 
Originally Posted by rubiconrich View Post
Bill Burke's 4-Wheeling America
Grand Junction, Colorado 81501
He teaches all about four wheeling. Based in Colorado. Google it. He takes groups of people out into the wilderness for multiple days to camp and teach skills. Everyone speaks highly of him.
One of my friends did go there, and enjoyed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.