Blind woman makes second bid for acupuncture license - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Blind woman makes second bid for acupuncture license

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
POLBOSS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Blind woman makes second bid for acupuncture license

Associated Press
A blind student of acupuncture is making a second request for a state license to practice the trade after being rejected last year because of her lack of vision.

The licensure committee of the Texas State Board of Acupuncture Examiners was set to rehear Juliana Cumbo's request for a license on Friday. She would be the first blind person to be issued a state license, board members said.

"I wanted to be more involved in health care ... and I thought it was a perfect profession for a blind person," Cumbo said of her decision to pursue acupuncture, a method of diagnosing, treating and preventing illness by placing thin needles along specific points on the body.

The 31-year-old practices as a graduate intern in the student clinic of the Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin. She has earned a master's degree in acupuncture and Oriental medicine and passed the national board exams.

"Juliana is an exemplary practitioner ... and she is extremely talented," said Will Morris, president of the Austin academy. "I am proud to sign her diploma."

Meng-sheng Lin, the licensure committee chairwoman, said she's inclined to repeat her vote against Cumbo's application. She said Cumbo's case was the first time she had encountered the issue.

"I'm just trying to fulfill my duty to protect the public," said Lin, an acupuncturist in Dallas. "Would you go to a blind acupuncturist?"

Lin said acupuncture can lead to bleeding, which could be a problem if it went unnoticed and created a situation where the acupuncturist or patient could become contaminated.

Hoang Ho, a member of the acupuncture committee who also voted against Cumbo's license, said licensing Cumbo would be a liability for the board if something were to go wrong.

"You have to know exactly the point" to insert the needle, said Ho, who practices acupuncture in Kerrville and San Antonio. "There are a lot of blood vessels, and there can be injuries."
Cumbo, who said she also has a bachelor's degree in classical guitar, completed 3,218 hours of training in acupuncture. About a third of that was clinical experience in which she worked on 592 patients without any formal safety complaints, said Xiaotian Shen, the director of the Austin clinic and one of Cumbo's teachers.

Cumbo received extra hands-on training, and now she is better at finding acupuncture points than many students who can see, Morris said.

Shen said Cumbo was tested on a live model to pass the national boards.

Dr. Terry Rascoe, the acupuncture board's presiding officer, said the committee could approve Cumbo's request, reject it or ask the full board to consider it. The case could also go before a state administrative judge.

Cumbo's lawyer, David Cohen of Austin, said denying Cumbo a license "on the basis of her blindness alone" would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Bob Simpson, general counsel to the board, said there are no state laws prohibiting the licensing of a blind person.

POLBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Having had acupuncture treatments in the past, I would not want a blind person working on me.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
POLBOSS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

All I can think of is, ouch!
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

My wife watches a reality show about Snoop Dogg and his family and he actually went to a blind acupuncturist (SP?) in LA. I guess he was already nervous and when a blind man came in he bolted
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If she's fulfilled her clinicals and passed the boards, I don't see why they'd deny her

Acupuncture's not my thing, but if it was I'd be looking for the best recommended practitioner out there. I don't think I'd be real concerned if s/he was blind...
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If she is better at what she does than other students I dont see what the big deal is.
Thats why I hired a blind driver.
Unread 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go to her, and then hit the links with this guy:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22949721/

Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceparn
My wife watches a reality show about Snoop Dogg and his family and he actually went to a blind acupuncturist (SP?) in LA. I guess he was already nervous and when a blind man came in he bolted
I was going to mention this show. That was too funny, Snoop said that he would be right back then ran out of the building while the blind guy was waiting. That show is great.
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Snacks
Little buddy

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I saw that episode too! It was GREAT!

HERE IT IS!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUabYN7RSlE

Keep in mind Snoop HATES needles, he is very scared of them.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion” Jack Kerouac
Snacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Yeah... I'm gonna let a blind person stick needles in me... hahahahahaha...

Whether she gets her license or not - I don't see it being a very lucrative business move...
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They say that blind people's remaining senses are more accute, but WTF? Now I've heard of everything.

On a similar note, has anyone ever wondered why there are braile dots at the drive up ATM? Maybe it's Evil Monkey's driver!!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

I can't see it happening.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
POLBOSS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK5.7VIRGIN View Post
I can't see it happening.
I see what you did there
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel0129 View Post
On a similar note, has anyone ever wondered why there are braile dots at the drive up ATM? Maybe it's Evil Monkey's driver!!
That's probably because they are generically made for indoors (banks/malls) and outdoors so they just use one design to save money.

As for the license, if she is capable, I don't see why not. I probably wouldn't go to a blind person. But they cant deny her based on that alone.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.