Blackout question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraelo View Post
(Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) Or a form of it.

Some people have to take sodium tablets to regulate their blood pressure.

I bet your black outs are the longer if you were laying down for long periods.

It pools in your brain and when you stand up your heart has to pump extra fast to get it back up in there.
Oh okay thanks man. Ill have to check next time to see if my heart beats faster. But when i lay down im normally on a lazy boy chair so idk if that changes anything or not?

1997 TJ with some stuff done to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
hilly
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It happens to me if I am laying on the couch and jump up and start walking. Your heart cannot instantly adjust to the increase in blood pressure necessary to get the blood from your lower extremities back to your heart and then up to your head.
If it concerns you, then by all means get it checked out by a dr.
post #18 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly View Post
It happens to me if I am laying on the couch and jump up and start walking. Your heart cannot instantly adjust to the increase in blood pressure necessary to get the blood from your lower extremities back to your heart and then up to your head.
If it concerns you, then by all means get it checked out by a dr.
Yeah thats normally what happenes to me but on a lazy boy. It doesnt really concern me now, unless someone tells me i should be really concerned.

post #19 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Go to the doctor and get checked out.

It can be 3 possible things.

1. Orthostatic hypotension, is a decrease of blood pressure when standing, due to changes in the blood pressure regulation systems within the body. Normally in a healthy human there is an orthostatic pooling of venous blood in the abdomen and legs when shifting positions from the supine (lying on the back) to an erect position (standing up). This redistribution of blood flow is the result of normal physiological compensatory mechanisms built into

body systems to prevent any adverse outcome (decrease in blood pressure, or hypotension) during positional change. Compensatory mechanisms include sympathetic nervous system activation and parasympathetic inhibition and increased heart rate and vascular resistance. Compensation responses restore cardiac output to vital organs and return blood pressure to normal. Orthostatic hypotension can occur if normal physiological mechanisms become faulty, such as inadequate cardiovascular compensation when shifting positions (i.e. change from supine to erect position), or due to excessive reduction in blood volume.

Orthostatic hypotension can be caused by several different disorders that affect the entire body (systemic disorders), the central nervous system (CNS, consisting of the brain and spinal cord), and the autonomic nervous system (peripheral autonomic neuropathy) or as a result of taking certain medications that are commonly prescribed by clinicians.

2. Peripheral neuropathy
is a problem with the nerves that carry information to and from the brain and spinal cord. This can produce pain, loss of sensation, and an inability to control muscles.

3. Addison's disease is a disorder that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of their hormones, keeping your system from reacting as it should.

Notice that one of the possible causes of #1 is central nervous system issues. Also the same with #2. Being worried about being asked a bunch of questions no matter how stupid they are is not a reason to avoid going to a doctor to see if it is serious.

Go if it is nothing then you know. If it is official that you are a brain damaged window licking retard then so be it but at least you know for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
post #20 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 PM
RubaDub06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Doctors have to ask dumb questions because people are dumb. I'm not referring to you or anyone else in particular, but some people really are that incompetent. Just like the dumb hag that spilled coffee in her lap and then sued McDonald's because she said that she didn't know her coffee was hot.

When was the last time you got an adrenaline rush at 3 mph?
post #21 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
tylerd
2006 WK 

This has happened to my Dad, but his go for about thirty seconds, every few years. Last was in October of '06. Is brain checked out which surprised all of us.
post #22 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubaDub06 View Post
Just like the dumb hag that spilled coffee in her lap and then sued McDonald's because she said that she didn't know her coffee was hot.
Yep, just letting everyone know first. I always thought the McDonald's coffee case was a bit silly, then someone pointed me to the facts. There is a bit more to the story.
The famous/infamous "McDonald's Coffee Spill Lawsuit" revisited | slip-and-sue.com
post #23 of 52 Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 PM
jkoffroadin

2009 JK Wrangler 

My wife gets this all the time. They actually started with out first child and havent stopped since. That was 5 years ago. She ignored it for the longest time but I have finally convinced her to get checked out. She has been going through tests for a month now. Everything has been checking out ok. They are testing her heart now, which is her wearing a monitor 24/7. After a week she takes that in to get the data checked.

The last time she blacked out she went completely out.. on the floor for like 30 seconds out. Woke up with our daughter sitting over her crying. Not cool when I am all the way over in Iraq

She is sitting dirty....
post #24 of 52 Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 AM
/\/\uD b0gg3r

Last Thanksgiving I nearly knocked over my aunt's china cabinet. I was blacked out for a good 20 seconds, but it hasn't been that bad since.

I've also been taking multivitamins since then as well, so maybe it's some sort of deficiency?

XJicequeen is my mom club member #1
'05 Red LJ
Hemi 5.7L
Chris
post #25 of 52 Old 08-25-2009, 01:28 AM
aircruiser

1996 XJ Cherokee 

did you hit your head on a rock going down a waterslide? (see 1984xj's thread)

hah only time i blacked out was when i woke up from a deep sleep, walked up the stairs from the couch, started to pee and then fell forward, took out the shelf over the toilet and got a huge cut on my back..woke up 30 seconds later to my mom screaming, my dad asking what happened and my little brother freaking out..crazy.

1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
post #26 of 52 Old 08-25-2009, 03:53 AM
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i get it too.. a lot. it doesnt matter if im sitting or laying, light or dark room, or just sleeping or wide awake. i dont technically black out, i never have, but i'll get tunnel vision sometimes or everything will go black and white. when its really bad for me i'll have to either sit back down or hold onto something so i dont fall over. they're trippy for sure. i asked my doctor once before, and by just describing the symptoms he said its a blood pressure problem. nothing to really worry about unless you actually do black out/pass out from it. it would still be good to go get it checked out. i've always had this problem, for as long as i can remember. it doesnt affect me for any more than the 5-10 seconds it occurs.

-Justin
post #27 of 52 Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
theAuthority

2004 WJ 

It doesn't effect you until it happens while you're driving and black-out or tunnel vision and smash into an on-coming car

-Daniel
post #28 of 52 Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know that, buts its never happened anyother time. And i dont see myself getting up really fast while driving. lol Buts its not a real black out i just cant see for a few secs.

But to me i really think it has to do with being in that room with it being dark. Because i was at the beach for a week and it never happened down there, and im sure i didnt get up from the chair slowly down there. And its actually never happened any other place but my family room and it will get black right when i go into my kitchen.

Maybe its the aliens? lol

post #29 of 52 Old 08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
faxmachine
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have broken a full sized mirror by getting up really fast and blacking out and falling into it, i get that sometimes, i dont worry about it. but for me everything goes white not black

UNofficial 3rd place winner of National Topless Day 2009

yamanigottaYJ
post #30 of 52 Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraelo View Post
It doesn't effect you until it happens while you're driving and black-out or tunnel vision and smash into an on-coming car
yea because im standing up really fast while driving really though its only happened to me (and the way i take it, the OP gets it the same way) when i go from sitting down/laying down to standing up. its not something that happens while doing anything else. so no, it wont happen while im driving and cause me to smash into an on-coming car.

-Justin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.