A Black Beauty Reborn - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > A Black Beauty Reborn

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #91
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

LBM... Too funny.

Progress and setbacks. Tore into the old gal, and here's an idea of what Im dealing with.

Put car on stands, removed tire, and set to work scraping gunk off stuff. A LOT of gunk. After a few minutes, I took a picture because I needed to clean up a spot to keep my own griminess to a minimum. Or at least, so I didn't grind any of the stuff into the concrete with my legs as I sat on the floor:

Look what I found!!! Believe it or not, I didn't know there was a zert fitting on top of this ball joint! The whole control arm was covered so deep, the ball joint looked more like a snow cone than the end of a control arm.

Bought a spring compressor, but it didn't fit between the coils. Seems Dad torched the springs way back when, and this compressed the space between the coils. So I made my own compressor out of 1/2" all-thread, a coupling nut, an eye-hook, and some nuts and washers. Finally found a use for that damnable Gearwrench ratchet I bought years ago. I never liked the thing, nuts and bolts would always fall through it before I could get them threaded in place. But, it worked PERFECTLY for this job, as it could slip over the all-thread and tighten the nut as it sped its way down the all-thread to tighten the coil spring. Bottom part of the compressor is the cross-bar for the old front shock absorber, with a to fit it tightly into the eyebolt but still allow swivel action as the control arm was lifted. Worked like a charm.

Then, the bad news.... I had ordered a complete power front disc brake kit to upgrade the old gal's stopping power. First the vendor shipped me the wrong rotors assembled to the 2" drop spindle with caliper. A few phone calls, and I think all is well, and I'm only out a week of shop time. Received the slotted and cross-drill rotors posted previously, and went to assemble everything this afternoon. I had told them what was wrong, why would they send me the wrong parts again!

THE FREAKING REPLACEMENT ROTORS DON'T FIT THE SPINDLES!!!

%$#&^@!!!!

Grrrr.... Phone call tomorrow (watch for impending mushroom cloud in the western sky), but even if they ship the correct parts tomorrow, now I'll be out this whole holiday weekend to work on the car.

Of course, this kinda stuff NEVER happens when we work on our jeeps before a big trail ride, right?

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #92
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Keep at it, it's gonna be worth it.
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #93
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Dave, while she was running did you try to put her in gear to see if the clutch is frozen to the pressure plate ?

Is Black Beauty going to be your name for her and what did your Pop call her ?

It looks like a ten bolt or something , do you know what gear you have in the rear end ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #94
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Grrrr.... Phone call tomorrow (watch for impending mushroom cloud in the western sky), but even if they ship the correct parts tomorrow, now I'll be out this whole holiday weekend to work on the car.
There is still plenty of other things you can be doing instead .

Pull the hog head cover and see what it looks like in there, pull the axles and maybe put new bearings and seals, also put a new pinion seal and new gear oil .

You are going to do it anyway Dave and on the bright side it won't cost much at all unless you have to pay a shop to press on the bearings on the axles .

Even then it won't cost much at all money wise since you are doing most all of the work .

Go ahead and do the front contol arm bushings too since they are out .

You got plenty to do so don't be sweating the brake thingy to much dawg .
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #95
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry, there is plenty on the list. Figured since I have to wait for the *new* replacement parts, I also ordered a whole front end front rebuild set with poly bushings. It's just frustrating when things happen that would not occur if a little bit of attention was paid when filling out an order.

You're right about the other stuff. Everything you mentioned is on the To Do list. Plenty to keep me busy once I thought about it.

The name just seemed to fit for this thread. The car is black, and I've always thought the 1956 Chevy has beautiful lines. That's why the thread is "*A* Black Beauty" instead of "*The* Black Beauty".

Man, it's hot. It was 111 yesterday. Sweat and grease make a for lousy skin coating. Today will be better.... only supposed to be 105 today.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #96
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

are you going to put new springs on it ?
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #97
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

while I might change my mind or lose it one , which is about the same thing really, I like the way the Buick rims look on it in the the power wash picture .

More modern/hot rod looking without too much Bling .
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #98
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The saga continues...

ANOTHER delay in getting all the parts to me. Good news is, this greeted me on my porch today:

Meanwhile, in the time available to me, I have done some other things.

Marked the upper control arms as P and D to keep things separate, then measured the alignment shims on each side, front and back, to serve as a ball-park reference when putting things back together.

Pulled the upper control arms, and finally decided to do something about the mess. Some old plastic from last year's painting showed why I held on to it all these months:

Here's the plastic doing it's job. Again, this is after already wiping up the mess a couple times. It's no fun laying on your back in grease:

The steering linkage gives you an idea of what I am talking about. The frame pictures just don't do the grime justice:

One shot of part of the engine bay. The underside of the frame is worse than the top (eek!). Yup, grease drips down and collects where gravity directs it.:

Also took the driveline out to replace the pinion seal. The axles bearings will have to wait for now. Took a look at the u-joints to check their condition. Pressed one out, popped the cap, and sure enough, they are history. The bearing surfaces were galled pretty bad. Another step in the right direction.

Another step? This is turning into quite a walk. If I had more room, I'd pull the front clip to have better access to clean the frame. That's gunna have to be on the list for next year.

On closer inspection, the control arms were in bad shape. So, new ones are on the way. When in doubt---- UPGRADE! The parts that arrived today will need to bolt to the them before they can go on the car. The springs will have to wait until I can replace both front and back. There's some S-shaped arching to the back springs. Fastest stock car in Los Angeles County back 1956, with a 1/4 mile trophy to prove it, eh? Were you doing a few hole shots back then, Dad?

Buy stock in paper towels and de-greaser, cuz I think I'm cornering the market. Back to cleaning.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #99
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

don't forget to put a rear tranny seal on your list while you got the drive shaft out .
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #100
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bad news.... Pulled the oil pan to replace to old original gasket. I hadn't replaced it yet because I knew I would be removing the steering linkage and wanted to wait until it was out of the way. Pulled the pan, then pulled the clutch cover to make scraping the old gasket easier. Wiped the grime off the portion of the engine block the clutch cover mates to, and found this.

Here is a larger picture for context. You are looking from the front, towards the rear of the block, with the clutch overhead in the foreground and the transmission behind the crack.

Dunno if this old motor is history or not. I'll have to do some research and see if this is game over for the original Power Pack 265 V8. If it is, well... I'll just move on and build another engine. That opens up a lot of possibilities. But, damnitall!!!, I REALLY wanted to keep the original motor out of sentimental feelings for my Father's old car.

Sigh.... to be continued.
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #101
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

well I have been thinking about it for over two weeks now and that looks like a very odd place for the block to crack .

Any ideas on how it could happen ?
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #102
gamble71

unless I'm looking at it wrong, that's a cracked bellhousing. With SBC's the block ends where the bellhousing bolts up. Again.... I could be looking at it wrong.
gamble71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #103
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble71 View Post
unless I'm looking at it wrong, that's a cracked bellhousing. With SBC's the block ends where the bellhousing bolts up. Again.... I could be looking at it wrong.
That is kinda what I have been thinking too ???
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #104
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, late reply. Back to work, so it has slowed progress. Report: front clip is off, motor/tranny is out, junkyard bell-housing is in good shape for a replacement, all freeze plugs pulled, motor flushed with LOTS of water. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap I was able to clean out of the water jackets. Had the flywheel surfaced at local machine shop (rusty from sitting all those years), and am buying a new clutch/pressure plate, pilot and throw-out bearings. Yeah, that clutch plate had seen a lot of abuse.

Got some *free* loaner tires for the front rims, since the 2" spindle drop has the old tall tires to close to the front fenders. Before I took the front clip off, the dang thing looked like a gocart with a 195-50/15 on one side and a 205-60/15 on the other.

Found out my favorite dance is NOT the Skinned Shin Shuffle. Those naked frame horns don't take prisoners.

Setback... the motor stand I am using was made 35 years ago in high school, and the steel casters need to be replaced. BUT--- the bolt pattern for the mounting plates is different than what's common today. So, todays project is making new mounting plates for new swivel casters, and fabbing up a couple lift/locking brakes out of 7/8" all-thread so it doesn't move when I want the wheels to hold their spot.

13-hour night shift work doesn't leave a lot of free shop time. Pics of the progress when I get a few spare moments.
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #105
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
well I have been thinking about it for over two weeks now and that looks like a very odd place for the block to crack .

Any ideas on how it could happen ?

Only one...... rev it up, dump the clutch, and make it too the end of the 1/4 mile as quick as possible.
And yeah, that's a crack in the bell housing. I found out is goes all the way through to the center opening for the tranny when I pulled it off the motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.