A Black Beauty Reborn - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > A Black Beauty Reborn

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 06-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #76
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Divinitous!

Here is how the whole thing goes together.

Started with finding the right spot on the filler tube for the valve. It needed to clear the frame but still miss the curve on the tube. Marked the correct spots for the end of the rubber housing, and then figured the internal spots for the tube to end using a caliper. Marked each location with a tri-square. Dotted lines are the cut lines for the sawzall:

Beveled and cleaned the cut edges up with a flapper disc, then a file and mesh cloth to remove the sharp edges. This way the tube slides easily into the rubber valve housing, and under a portion of the angled edge of the internal metal valve housing:

This is what it looks like cut and pieced together for installation. The tube is still exactly as long as it came from the factory:

This is a shot of the tube in place (still needs a rubber grommet that secures the end of the filler tube inside the tail fin) with the tank vent installed behind the gas cap. The vent is peeking over the stamped bracket supporting the end of filler tube. 50-year-old weed pieces (how the heck did they get in THERE?) left in place for the pic .:

Okay, it's been a hard day's night, time for bed.

Unread 06-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #77
RockWoRM

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Dude, Awesome! Just saw the thread.
'56 just happens to be my fav. year Chevy of the 50's!
You lucky sucker! It's not everyday you find an all original classic in that kind of shape, let alone it was your Dad's! Very Cool!

I've always dreamed of finding a '56 like that to fix up and take to car shows... but seems all the lose change I ever have goes into the YJ anywho.

Good luck on the build.

In fact... you can bring it to the Rubicon 'meet and greet' in July and take me for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #78
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, worm. Now, where did I put that spare pair of 60's to put under the 56 so I can REALLY particpate in the Rubicon meet and great.

Geeze, did I really contemplate that for about 3/10ths of a second? Yes I did.
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #79
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great story,,, kinda reminds me of my dads tales of when his 340 dart was the terror of MWC , OK....best of luck with the rebuild
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #80
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I hadn't thought about how GM liked to hide the gas caps on some of it's older rides.

So yours is behind the tail light housing assem. , cool .

I had a 59 Caddy that had it's gas cap hidden behind the grill work on the backend above where the lic. tag was .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #81
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update....

Been a while, but in the small time available to me a hurdle or three has been accomplished.

Installed a cheap instrument cluster under the dash in a manner that added no additional holes to the virgin sheetmetal. Took some scrap aluminum angle stock, bent it into a *V*, cut to length and shaved one edge to make the V 2" wide on one leg and 1-1/2" wide on the other leg. Used the existing holes for mounting the glovebox door hinge to mount the cluster. This also angled the gauges to there is no background glare from the rear window. This picture shows the gauges from the seat level, but from the passengers perspective the bracket is hidden. Cheap, simple, and reversible without leaving any marks on the dash.

Then got the engine back together, all the tune up parts installed, a new radiator core (the old one looked like an aquarium fizzle rock when pressure tested, 45 years of water will do that) and some other things, guesstimated the timing, and then came the momemnt of truth.

She coughed, she sputtered, she cranked. Nothing. Then she started spitting peanuts, acorns,and cherry-plum seeds out the tail pipe. She started to crank better. My nieghboor came over to see what all the noise was about. He is the elderly gentleman in the video. For the first time in 45 years, this is the sound I heard to old girl make:

SHE LIVES!!!

The reason she took so long to start up? Well, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

These are just the ones I picked up in our driveway. The rest blew out into the street!

Next up, installing some parts that showed up on my front doorstep. These will be a really big change for the old girl as far as safety goes. But that's for another post. Right now, I'm still grinning from ear to ear. I called my dad to let him hear his old car covert gas into horsepower for the first time in over four decades, he was almost crying.

Life is good.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #82
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Update....

Been a while, but in the small time available to me a hurdle or three has been accomplished.

Installed a cheap instrument cluster under the dash in a manner that added no additional holes to the virgin sheetmetal. Took some scrap aluminum angle stock, bent it into a *V*, cut to length and shaved one edge to make the V 2" wide on one leg and 1-1/2" wide on the other leg. Used the existing holes for mounting the glovebox door hinge to mount the cluster. This also angled the gauges to there is no background glare from the rear window. This picture shows the gauges from the seat level, but from the passengers perspective the bracket is hidden. Cheap, simple, and reversible without leaving any marks on the dash.

Then got the engine back together, all the tune up parts installed, a new radiator core (the old one looked like an aquarium fizzle rock when pressure tested, 45 years of water will do that) and some other things, guesstimated the timing, and then came the momemnt of truth.

She coughed, she sputtered, she cranked. Nothing. Then she started spitting peanuts, acorns,and cherry-plum seeds out the tail pipe. She started to crank better. My nieghboor came over to see what all the noise was about. He is the elderly gentleman in the video. For the first time in 45 years, this is the sound I heard to old girl make:

SHE LIVES!!!

The reason she took so long to start up? Well, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

These are just the ones I picked up in our driveway. The rest blew out into the street!

Next up, installing some parts that showed up on my front doorstep. These will be a really big change for the old girl as far as safety goes. But that's for another post. Right now, I'm still grinning from ear to ear. I called my dad to let him hear his old car covert gas into horsepower for the first time in over four decades, he was almost crying.

Life is good.
Life IS good!

I love your story about an old car, your father and a you! I wish you and your Dad the best!!

Looks like your chevy is allergic to all sorts of nuts 'cause it 'pooped' a bunch of them out!!!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #83
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Where in the heck did the critters find peanuts ?

Does somebody near you grow peanuts ?

Time for compression tests now ?
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #84
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

buy some new pedal covers .

It cost very little, looks real cool and you are going to do it anyway at some point I think .
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #85
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

LBM-- Thanks for thoughts. Dad's gunna love it when he gets that first ride.

phit-- who knows where the peanuts came from. A bag in the garage, the house next door? The acorns are easy, my parents street has a lot of oak trees. The Cherry Plum seeds had to be from the tree in the back yard. We loved eating those things as kids.

Compression check is on the list, along with a lot of other things. It's a long list.

Pedal covers will have to wait. Got some other things to install first. The final parts of the next step just showed up. Now all I need is the time to install them.

Here's a teaser shot:

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #86
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Oh Hell yeah !

Rock the stock .

Edit: I am looking very forward to seeing a dual power master cylinder too .
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #87
That1guy
2007 WK 

Sweet
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #88
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Congrats on getting her running!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #89
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys. Replaced the leaking water pump, now working on removing brake lines, then spindles and stuff. I guess the only thing I can say is that a 1/2" thick layer of old, dried-up grease on all things metal makes a great rust inhibitor. I've never seen stuff like this, it's almost like a layer of undercoating. I found a zert fitting on top of the ball joint that wasn't even visible under a spherical mound of fossilized petrocarbons.

45 years of dust blown onto sticky grease.... messy stuff. I'm gunna need more hand soap.
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #90
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Thanks, guys. Replaced the leaking water pump, now working on removing brake lines, then spindles and stuff. I guess the only thing I can say is that a 1/2" thick layer of old, dried-up grease on all things metal makes a great rust inhibitor. I've never seen stuff like this, it's almost like a layer of undercoating. I found a zert fitting on top of the ball joint that wasn't even visible under a spherical mound of fossilized petrocarbons.

45 years of dust blown onto sticky grease.... messy stuff. I'm gunna need more hand soap.
Oh Yeah! That oil/crud protects the metal well.
Back in the early 60's I was a kid working part time at a gas station pumping gas and fixing tires. Saturday all I did was grease jobs on garbage trucks. The old guy who owned them wanted the undercarriages/under the fenders/behind the bumpers/etc. sprayed with drain oil once a month. Oil changes were on a mileage schedule and he kept the oil. The first week of each month they got sprayed by yours truly with 'his' oil.

A real fun job standing in a mechanics pit.....

That old timer would go ballistic if they weren't dripping oil on the ground after I was done spraying them. I assure you that when they finally went to the scrap pile they had no rust!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.