A Black Beauty Reborn - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > A Black Beauty Reborn

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #61
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

how do your freeze plugs look ?

phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #62
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

On inspection, they have me worried. Been researching removal and replacement in situ, but it appears to be a total PITA due to tight space. I'd hate to pull the motor, but if/when a plug leak happens, that may be the case. Problem is, if the ones on the side of the block are bad, what about the ones on the rear of the block???? I'd *have* to pull the motor, or at least the tranny/clutch, to gain access. Better to replace all at the same time and avoid having a new problem just down the road.

What can I say? I'm kinda hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst. Then again, if I *have* to pull the engine, that opens up a lot of possibilities. But I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it. Remember, there is still the heater core and radiator to worry about. Hoses, pump, thermostat are a no-brainer. Leaks are expected, but I'm trying to be an optimist by replacing what can be done without pulling the motor.

It's been a LONG time since this motor has been running. Time has a way of affecting stuff. Let's just say I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Dad, I wish you were here with me. Your input and guidance, not to mention your ability to say "Ah, .... (bleep) it, I always wanted to (fill in the blank) anyway!" would really ease my trepidation.
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #63
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just found this tread, hoping everything goes well on bring her back to life and will definitely keep an eye on this one. I have a soft spot for old Chevy's since I grew up restoring them with my dad.
LowBudget87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #64
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome project.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #65
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Dave, if it were me I would want to have it where I could hop in it and go somewhere out of town and not be afraid about having to have it towed home because the next thing broke on it .

That said, I would pull the engine and tranny and put seals in both,new freeze plugs,heater core and radiator, pull the heads while the motor is out and have them rebuilt, new clutch, put the new water pump on it while the motor is out and brakes and master cylinder of course .

You can paint the motor easier too while it is out too .

How does your cars wiring look ?

How do your motor mounts etc. look ?
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #66
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Phit, I'm already giving that some serious thought...

Great minds, eh?

P.S... Just got home from being called in for night shift, there goes my weekend plans for today. Were it not for budget and time constrainsts, I'd have all you stated done already.

(sigh) things happen.
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #67
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

take a peek at your control arm bushings and see what they look like too .

One of the first things you need to do is make up your mind as to whether you are going to keep it stock or not .

Were it mine it would be getting bucket seats, my built 400 small block, a 4 speed or automatic tranny, etc. or simply put, a Hot Rod .
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #68
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

David, is your ride a Sports Coupe ?

" Two-Ten models do have appeal, especially the 1953 convertible (very rare), the Del Ray Club Coupe with its upgraded vinyl interior, and the Sport Coupe hardtops of 1953 and 1955-57. "

Is the difference between a SC and some of the others, that a Sports Coupe does not have metal channels on the upper doors that the window glass moves in and maybe door pillars too .

Yours does not have the door metal around it's windows and I am just wondering here if it is a SC ?
Unread 04-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #69
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Easiest way to figure the difference between a Hardtop/Sport Coupe and a Sedan, either two or four door in both body styles, is the door frame. Sedans have a full frame around the door, the window is encased in metal all the way around. The Hardtops have doors with the glass sliding up from the dor, but no upper frame around the window. Sort of like the difference between a Jeep Wrangler full and half door.

Mine is a Hardtop/Sport Coupe--- no metal frame around the window. I like the look better than the Sedans myself.

One note about the hardtops..... the top itself has "flippers" that fold out to allow the closed window to open with the front door. These flippers then close back over the top of the window when the door is shut. This keeps the rain out when the window is closed. Kind of a neat feature that usually gets a "Whoe! That's COOL!" response from a first-time viewer. Dunno if the four-door hardtops have the same feature for the rear doors, as I haven't seen a four-door hardtop in person yet.

As for the hot rod part, I'd add to your list making the interior window handles control hidden electric window controls (even the wing windows), shaved door handles, full air-ride handling package, power discs and steering, upgraded lights, tubbed wheelwells hiding about 28" of rubber with a quick-change third member on an independant rear axle, stiffened/boxed frame, close-fitting roll cage, and enough power to run low elevens while still holding it's own on the pro-touring course.

If you gunna be a bear, be a grizzly. ;-)
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #70
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Dave, don't forget that James T. had a fiberglass or something front end on the 55 in TLB .

I seem to remember that they were playing on the carb and the hood pulled forward like the bonnet on an old E-type Jag .

I decided long ago that I did not want a restored car and what I wanted was an old ride like I wanted it .

Strangely, the deciding factor for me was that the front seats in old American cars sucked and I wanted reclining bucket seats or the like .

Once you decide to change one little thing then it is like an avalanche and the door is wide a$$ open .

I don't want a restored ride, I want a personalized one that I can drive and buy most parts for it anywhere .

Hmmm, I wonder if that is why I like small block Chevy motors so much ?

If it isn't charging and I am on a road trip, I don't want to be trying to find an old generator, I want to just buy a common off the shelf alternator for it .

If somebody had of given your Dad a 4 speed tranny long ago I wonder if it would't be in there now ?

I say, don't just restore it, build it .
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #71
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

<<<>>>

All in good time. First I want drive it as is.

Did manage to pull off a nice little save this morning. The old gas tank was a gonner, but the filler tube looked like it *might* be saved. Remember the old tank? The inside of it and the filler tube looked like this:

Here is the gas cap. Yup, same as inside of the filler tube:

Played "In Search Of..." again looking all over town for just the right tool to try and clean it out. 5 stores, and 90 minutes later, I settled on a flexible rod and rotary nylon tip used for cleaning pellet stove pipes. It uses nylon bristles that look like weed-eater string. The tip was about 4" in diameter, I trimmed it down to 2.5 to fit the tube and still be tight.

Only one length of the flexible rod was needed to reach all the way through the tube:

Used laquer thinner as a solvent, and a few minutes time with the drill powering the cleaning rod and tip. Rrunning it back and forth from both ends, here is the finished product.:

Not bad, eh?

Then a friend came over and we removed the hood. The hood springs were stretched from decades of sitting in tension, so the hood didn't stay up as high as it should. That made it a PITA to work under the hood. It's a LOT nicer now. The springs are an easy replacement item. One more thing for the list.
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #72
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

nice job on the filler neck and don't mind me Dave, I am just dreaming about your cool ride .

" Mine is a Hardtop/Sport Coupe--- no metal frame around the window. I like the look better than the Sedans myself. "

In my opinion you have the prettiest model . I don't like the ones with the metal around the windows .
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #73
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update....

Been a while since I posted to this thread. Life has been very busy, but in the small amout of time I have had to work on the 56, a couple things have moved along.

Installed the Stealth gas tank from Aeromotive. It it shaped exactly like the original tank, but has an electric pump inside, and an updated sending unit that will match the fuel original gauge:

Shot of the fuel regulator, equipped with a low pressure spring for a caborated motor. The extra spring shown is so I can change the regulator for a later motor using fuel injection if I so desire.

A shot of all the pieces before final installation. It took a lot of mocking up, changing hose paths, regulator locatoin, wiring routing, yadda, yadda, before getting to this point. Stainless Steel AN-8 hose and fittings.

The tank in place, fuel lines hooked up, and wiring hooked up. The extra length on the red wire is for the sending unit, and will be cut to length after I make sure I don't have to pull the tank to tighten any leaks on the fittings. Stainless steell tank straps. Note dirt and grease still in abundance. This has been a very dirty job, but I'm saving cleanup for a later time.

10-micron fuel filter hanging from homemade bracket. Flexible hose tubing covering the fuel hoses, and I will fab up a protective sheild to keep road debris from hitting the lines.

The regulator mounted in the engine bay. Location allows plenty of room to work on the motor, and keep the fuel hose running under the battery and away from the exhaust. Fuel pressure gauge will let me dial the pressure to the correct setting for the old Rochester carb.

Fuel anti-backsplash valve for the gas filler tube. Shown in the normal closed position. gas can flow through the vavle, but if it rushes back under acceleration, it is prevented from running up the tube and out the top of the gas cap. (can be a problem with these older cars)

Valve show upside down, so you can see how the valve lets the gas flow easily to the tank when filling at the gas station.

Unread 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #74
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Homemade bracket to the tank vent to prevent burping while filling the tank. Anybody who has tried to fill the tank on their YJ will know what I mean. A few minutes work with a hammer and my trailer hitch ball roughed out the shape. Then a dose of heat, using hose clamps to get the final shape for the filler tube. Cheap, simple, and it works.

The bracket cleaned up and painted. You can see how it is shaped to fit the tube.

Vent mounted on the tube, keeping it above the filler cap. This will all be hidden insde the "tail fin" of the 56. It also has a built-in valve to prevent fuel leakage in the event of a rol-over. (hoping I NEVER need that option to be used!)

More to come in the near future.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #75
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work. Can't wait to see you and your old man cruising down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.