A Black Beauty Reborn - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > A Black Beauty Reborn

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #31
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a jeep guy but old Chevys are in my blood! I have owned a '54, 55' and '63. You my friend have a rare car in great shape AND you know the original owner!

Have fun bringing life back to your Dad's car.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #32
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great !!
I'm sure over the years your Dad cut my Dad's hair and mine.
lowranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #33
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After making some more room in the garage, the first baby steps are being taken. Pulled the plugs and squirted some Kroil into the cylinders. Had to make a tool to reach the plug holes... the steering shaft, shifting linkage, and exhaust manifolds made for very tight and awkward angles. Turns out a plastic syringe for basting foods and some aquarium air tubing make an exccelent oil application device in tight spaces.

Here's an old school plug from the sixties:

I found an old box that was behind the car. When I opened it, there were five old carbs Dad must have had for spare parts. Three Rochesters, and two Holleys. I took the Rochesters to a mechanic and he picked the best of the three for a correct model for the 265. He'll soak the whole thing and clean it before giving it a complete rebuild. I want to make sure I have as little problems as possible trying to get the motor to start. Having a carb I know is properly functioning is worth paying him for his time.

Then spent some time under the car getting all the bolts oiled up so I can pull the gas tank, brake parts, bumpers, battery box, etc....

This thing really is a time capsule. Lots of books were stored inside. Dr. Suess childrens books from the sixties, a compleat hardcover "Hardy Boys" series from 1941 (I remember reading the entire series when I was a young boy, I always wondered what happend to those books), lots of other old books ranging from thrillers (Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone", 1963) to science books, to "The Compleat Sherlock Holmes", to a pictoral book of birds published in 1926.

And, the holy grail for me... The 1955 Chevrolet Passenger Car Shop Manual, plus the 1956 Supplement to the Passenger Car Shop Manual, and the original 1956 booklet of Factory Accessories (you could even order a G.M. Electric Shaver that "plugs into cigarette lighter"!) Cool!

There is also a "How to Restore Your Collector Car" from 1984. I guess Dad had given serious thought to getting the old gal on the road again back in the eighties, but for some reason never got the chance.

Looks like I got some reading to do.
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #34
That1guy
2007 WK 

Awesome.
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just found the dash clock under the seat. Today is a good day!
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #36
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got the gas tank pulled after draining about 7 gallons of the most awful smelling stuff you can imagine--- 45-year-old Ethyl that looks like balsamic vinegar gone bad. From the looks of the crumbled matter that fell out of the filler tube, I didn't hold out much hope for the tank:

On closer inspection, I found a pinhole in the top of the tank, so it looks like a new tank is in order. Some research found replacement tanks from as low as 99 bucks, but I want to put only quality parts back in place. More research located a OEM-looking tank that is also rated for fuel injection, while bolting back in place without any modifications to the car. (covering my bases for a possible future crate motor swap) The "stealth" tank costs more bucks, so it will have to wait a few weeks since I shot this week's budget on a new Sears Platinum battery.

And here is the big news... (drum roll).... the Kroil in the cylinders paid off. I got the motor to turn over by hand! This means I can proceed with fluid changes and tune-up parts, once the carb is back in place. More bucks to wait on from the next couple paychecks.

(sigh) Patience, Burlbook, patience....
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #37
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Are you going to replace the fuel pump as well?

I have a 69 chevelle barn find that had sat for about 30 years. I left the original fuel pump on it cause it worked and didn't leak. After a couple hundred miles it started spraying gas all over because is was leaking were the pump was crimped together. Luckily it didn't catch on fire.

What are you going to do for brakes? Just leave the drums on it for now or upgrade to disc?
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #38
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would use a drill motor to prime the oil pump and get everything up top lubed some before trying to start it.
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #39
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump has already been pulled. A shot of air through the upside fuel line confirmed the gasket/diaphram had dried out and cracked. The new tank comes complete with its own fuel pump, but I may use that as a back-up for a new mechanical pump.

Brakes: pull, inspect, replace as needed, following bearing re-pack or upgrade from ball bearings (original equipment) to roller bearings (like those used in new cars, a swap kit is available). Possible upgrade to discs as time goes on. For now, I'll be thrilled just to get it road worthy in stock form.

Oil prelube: A drill-powered priming tool is already on the list, but can you believe not a single auto parts store in town (NAPA, AutoZone, Kragen, AC/Delco) has an oil priming tool!?!?!? It was either "We haven't sold one of those in years." or " An oil what-- What's that?". I have to order one for the Chevy. Yeah, I could make one from an old distributor, but I don't have an extra distributor on hand. And simply turning the oil pump won't work, it needs a flange to block off the oil supply from the valley so the left side vlave train is also oiled properly, just as the flange on a distributor shaft works.

Nice upgrades to the car just for safety's sake would be power steering, power disc brakes and seatbelts. But that's a real slippery slope. I remember when I was only going to do "just a couple small things" to my jeep. (see my profile) And I'm still not through with that.
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #40
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Check the metal brake lines and wheel cyl. carefully as old brake fluid kind of makes water over time and will rust from the inside out .

I have had great luck with old cars over the years without it being a problem and only encountered it once on a 10 or 12 year old Triumph Spitfire .

That cars whole hyd. brake system/master cyl,lines and wheel cyls. was trash and the car only had 28,000 miles on it .

How many mile are on the black beauty by the way , I don't remember seeing it on your thread ?

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #41
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What a GREAT story!

What are your plans for this car? Mechanical redo to get it back on the road? Quickie resto? Complete body-off-frame restoration?

Keep us posted with updates...

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #42
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Miles: 86242 point 8 --- I've heard of tri-fives a lot lower, but it's still lower than any "new" car we have in our family.

Plans for now are just to get it running. It's a long list to be road worthy. After that, we'll see. A lot depends on how the inside of the engine holds up after I get it running again. If it grenades, all bets are off on a factory resto.
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #43
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
I would use a drill motor to prime the oil pump and get everything up top lubed some before trying to start it.
That's what I always used. A drill with a modified spade bit like this:

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #44
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Solved it! Got a buddy with a Chevy distributor converted to a priming tool I can borrow for the cause.
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #45
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My Father has just been shown how to access the internet. I just talked to my Father and told him about this thread, so he can follow along and watch his car as it comes back to life.

I Love You Dad. This thread is for you. I can't wait until we can both ride in your car together again. I know how much this car means to you, I hope you know how much it means to me. You have taught me so much, and I know you can still teach me so much more. Here is to hoping, and knowing, we will both be able to twist the wrenches together soon as we bring your ol' gal back to the road again.

David... proud to be son of Jack.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.