A Black Beauty Reborn - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > A Black Beauty Reborn

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just so you don't think this was a Hit & Run thread...., I spent the last few days dealing with a welding tank problem (Proprietary Tank Distributor problem... his corporation decided not to sell/fill tanks anymore, I disagreed on the worth of welding tanks I could no longer refill anywhere else. Let's just say, problem solved-- and I now have new tanks I can fill anywhere.), and creating a mobile base for a 1000 lbs. jointer.

Gotta move the wood shop to make space for the car shop.

(sigh) I "LIKE" woodworking. Wish I had space for all my hobbies/interests/loves. But who does? (the independently wealthy need not reply)

Anybody got the (winning) numbers for next week's lottery?

Unread 03-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Anybody got the (winning) numbers for next week's lottery?
I've heard the "Lost" numbers may be possible winners but can bring in some unwanted consequences...

:-)

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Awesome car! With a great story too, I can picture the drive to the wedding haha. Good luck with it man
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
nwiTJdave

very cool man.

While all my dads muscle cars are sold (damn kids, lol) he still has a 1950 ford deluxe. It's nothing special but he has had it since 1982 when he paid $475 for it and is the second owner. Only 3 people have ever driven that car to my knowledge. I never have had much of a relationship with my father but I find myself wanting an old car just so hopefully my kids will have the same early childhood memories that I remember of my father.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Man that car is in great shape!!!!! I bet the paint would buff back pretty good. There are a lot of guys that would love to have one in the condition yours is in. I wish my Dad was still alive to do something like this with.

Post some pictures of your Dad and yourself, your daughters will be able to look back at this thread for years to come. But, there will be a big problem when it comes time for them to start driving.
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All those black widows you talked about reminded me of the old Studebaker in my friends garage. Freakin creepy...Sounds like a lot of good memories
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oops, double post. (doh!)

Having to move stuff around for the Chevy, working nights, and being at work for 13 hours a shift leaves little time for progress. But... made a significant step in the right direction. Figured jeepers would like this, it's winch related.

Made a rolling base for the jointer, borrowed a friends flatbed trailer, and built a ramp to made loading safe and simple. The rolling base weighs almost 150 lbs itself, 4" steel swivel casters, C-channel, and angle iron makes it plenty strong and rigid. I removed the jointer's infeed and outfeed tables and the fence to make it lighter. It still took 4 strong backs to lift it so another person could slide the base under the jointer (oooh, my aching back). Bolted the jointer to the base, and used the winch on my jeep to load it on the trailer.

It's a 12" jointer made by "Superior Machine Works of Chicago, Ill"., back around 1915 and is 8 feet long, and each corner of both tables is individually adjustable for height. I bought it from an old cabinet maker friend whose father bought it new. Lots of sentimental value. It still works like a champ. You just gotta love Old Iron, they didn't worry about shaving manufacturing costs by scrimping on weight. Next up is a 16" Jewell planer made in 1909. Both of these machines, as well as a stand-up hollow chisel mortiser already moved to storage, are leather belt driven. Those old electric motors are huge! Plus an older 1980's vintage Jet 14" band saw I restored. I may keep the Powermatic table saw at home, we'll see.

Anyway, here's a couple pics just to show why I haven't posted any Chevy progress

Unread 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Making progress.

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is that you in the picture? It's funny because of the barber shop sign and the guy being bald.
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dad was a barber. For 40 years of his career his shop was at a truck stop here in town. He was the unofficial "Flat-top King" for truckers all over the nation. Long haul guys from back east would wait until they had a Northern California load to get a "perfect" haircut and listen to his stories and jokes. He was/is the only man to ever cut my hair. This caused no small amount of tension between us in the seventies when my hair reached down to the middle of my back.

About ten years ago, I shaved my head in support of a buddy fighting brain cancer, saying I wouldn't grow my hair out until he was cured.

He was given 6 months.... he lasted two years. What can I say, I got used to the look. RIP, Bro. I still cherish our times together.

Anyway, that is his old Barber Shop sign. I have his antique round-seat barber chair for my future game room, complete with leather strop and paper head-rest roll. Some things are just too cool to give up.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #26
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Those jointers are huge haha, they definatly dont make them like they use too. Each time i see a picture of this car, the more i want it lol
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Dad was a barber. For 40 years of his career his shop was at a truck stop here in town. He was the unofficial "Flat-top King" for truckers all over the nation. Long haul guys from back east would wait until they had a Northern California load to get a "perfect" haircut and listen to his stories and jokes. He was/is the only man to ever cut my hair. This caused no small amount of tension between us in the seventies when my hair reached down to the middle of my back.

About ten years ago, I shaved my head in support of a buddy fighting brain cancer, saying I wouldn't grow my hair out until he was cured.

He was given 6 months.... he lasted two years. What can I say, I got used to the look. RIP, Bro. I still cherish our times together.

Anyway, that is his old Barber Shop sign. I have his antique round-seat barber chair for my future game room, complete with leather strop and paper head-rest roll. Some things are just too cool to give up.
Was your Dad the barber and Jensen's truck stop?
This is a great story and I'm going to watch the build. Your Dad will love seeing his car back on the road and being able to ride in it again. As he sits in it going down the road, I'm sure a lot of great memories will come back to him. This is a great thing for you to do. Enjoy this time with your Dad.
My Dad always wanted to go on the Rubicon. So he was building up a Jeep, we were going to go together (I had never been either). In 1989 we were going to go, the Jeep was ready! A week before we were to go he got killed in a truck accident. Years later I built up a Jeep YJ and went. Wish he could have been sitting there next to me.
Enjoy your time with your Dad.
lowranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Very cool story and a very cool car. I like the 210 over the Bel-Air as well.

And I also say just get it in working order and give it a nice wash/buff and let it cruise.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, Jensen's Truck Stop. First on the corner of the restaurant, then a few years later in the main building by the gas pumps. He literally had customers he gave their first haircut to, bring in their own grandkids decades later for *their* frst cut.

Well, here she is. All loaded and ready to go:

Got her home without incident, but was shocked along the way to have two offers to buy her, and an offer to trade for a restored 75 Studebaker, before I even backed her into my driveway. Sorry, not a chance....

And with a little help from my power washer:

Looks good wet and from a distance, but the years of storage in a drafty old garage and condensation have not been nice to the paint. Found a couple rust spots under all that dust on the trunk lid and lower passenger door. Virtually all the paint on the upper surfaces is rough to the touch. Scratches in places from stuff in the garage being rested next to or against the car. Also, noticed a busted driver side back-up light lenses. But, it's home, and that's what counts.

Aero Kroil, to drip into the cylinders to make sure the rings are not frozen in place.... anybody know where to get it??? Got the "Deer In The Headlights" look from the kids behind the counter at all the local auto parts chains in town.
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #30
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try a clay bar on the paint to smooth it out. If it looks that good wet then you should be able to make it look like that with a little elbow grease and a buff/wax.

Have you changed the oil? Pull all the plugs then squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in and let it sit overnight. Turn the motor over with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt. It should turn over pretty easy before trying to fire it up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.